Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
May 16, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #736 of 2,668
The longer I own these the more I like them. Some reason these have overtaken the DT 1990 for me recently, my main complaint about the upper mids not being present enough seemed to of sorted itself out, whether break-in of pads or burn-in or both I couldn't say and I'm really liking the out of head imaging experience I'm getting with these. The treble does go higher than I'm used to but I'm not finding it fatiguing like I did on the T1.2 and it adds another dimension to the music.

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #737 of 2,668
The longer I own these the more I like them. Some reason these have overtaken the DT 1990 for me recently, my main complaint about the upper mids not being present enough seemed to of sorted itself out, whether break-in of pads or burn-in or both I couldn't say and I'm really liking the out of head imaging experience I'm getting with these. The treble does go higher than I'm used to but I'm not finding it fatiguing like I did on the T1.2 and it adds another dimension to the music.

Could not agree more :). But I think we are in the minority, most if not all prefer the DT1990.

I can't really explain why I prefer the Amiron, but I think it's the more spacious open sound and the warmer mids. Same here I don't have any problem with the treble, for me the DT 1990 is overall a brighter headphone.

I like these headphones :)

May 17, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #738 of 2,668
Could not agree more :). But I think we are in the minority, most if not all prefer the DT1990.

I can't really explain why I prefer the Amiron, but I think it's the more spacious open sound and the warmer mids. Same here I don't have any problem with the treble, for me the DT 1990 is overall a brighter headphone.

I like these headphones :)

Yeah, it's not by a large margin and it does depend on the mood, but I am finding the Amiron the better headphone overall.

I do find the Amiron warmer, but I do find the Amiron brighter in the treble, but while brighter it's highs are more fluid and smoother than the DT 1990's which are a little edgier and drier, possibly slightly etched whereas the Amiron really isn't. The DT 1990 has fuller and more forward mids to my ears. It's really the sense of clairty, smoothness, and overall richness I prefer more on the Amiron. I find the Amiron to have a better sense of space and a bit more transparent in terms of that I forget I'm listening to a headphone than the DT 1990.

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #740 of 2,668
Can Chord's Mojo drive the Amiron Home? or does it need a desktop amp?

May 19, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #742 of 2,668
Can Chord's Mojo drive the Amiron Home? or does it need a desktop amp?

In my opinion yes. I don't have the Mojo anymore but used it with the DT1990 and it was great. Now I use the Ibasso DX200 and the difference between these two are not that big, it's more about preferences.

It can drive them, but I think they sound best with a dedicated dekstop amp. Even a phone can drive them to some extent, as they are fairly sensitive and only 250 Ohm.

I do not agree, but we all hear different and have different needs and preferences. I use my DX200 and the Fiio x5iii, both drive them properly in my opinion. My HTC 10 can't drive them properly, the difference is not that big but clearly noticeable.

What do you miss when you listen to the mojo vs your desktop amp? Or is it just a different signature?

May 19, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #743 of 2,668
In my opinion yes. I don't have the Mojo anymore but used it with the DT1990 and it was great. Now I use the Ibasso DX200 and the difference between these two are not that big, it's more about preferences.

I do not agree, but we all hear different and have different needs and preferences. I use my DX200 and the Fiio x5iii, both drive them properly in my opinion. My HTC 10 can't drive them properly, the difference is not that big but clearly noticeable.

What do you miss when you listen to the mojo vs your desktop amp? Or is it just a different signature?

Different sound signature, they run fine out of my Audio Opus #3 DAP, but then I ran them off my Espressivo OTL amp and also tried them off the Oppo HA-1, the sound is smoother and fuller when they have some power behind them.

May 19, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #744 of 2,668
Different sound signature, they run fine out of my Audio Opus #3 DAP, but then I ran them off my Espressivo OTL amp and also tried them off the Oppo HA-1, the sound is smoother and fuller when they have some power behind them.
Don't know what you heard between the two amps but obviously a tube amp will sound different – not due to the "power" but because of the tube design.

The Amirons require something akin to 10 milliwatts to blow your head off, so they're not all that power hungry. Yet my phone can't run them, because I have to max out the volume and they are still too muted to listen to in a silent room. The HTC 10 is using dedicated audio components so it will probably fare better with regular headphones that aren't designed for pocket devices.

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #745 of 2,668
Don't know what you heard between the two amps but obviously a tube amp will sound different – not due to the "power" but because of the tube design.

The Amirons require something akin to 10 milliwatts to blow your head off, so they're not all that power hungry. Yet my phone can't run them, because I have to max out the volume and they are still too muted to listen to in a silent room. The HTC 10 is using dedicated audio components so it will probably fare better with regular headphones that aren't designed for pocket devices.

The HTC 10 does have the volume to drive them but it's not good :) I often have the feeling that I am going in 3. gear with full throttle and don't have that extra gear. It's kind of distortion at higher volumes, I don't enjoy it. I don't get this with the DX200 or the X5iii. To use a popular word, its a more smooth presentation. Details, soundstage and separation is also a level above with the DX200.

With my B&W P7 i actually prefer the HTC 10. But it's also easier to drive and a more "fun" headphone. This is a very subjective hobby :)

May 21, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #746 of 2,668

Agree with your reasoning that the OTL amp is a better match to most 250Ohm headphone over most SS ones

May 21, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #747 of 2,668
Well, my own opinion actually is that I prefer solid-state amps always, as I believe they are 'neutral' (rather 'objective'), whereas tubes are destined to alter the sound in some way. There are lots of low/mid-cost SS amps that do the job and provide enough power to drive most headphones.

May 21, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #748 of 2,668
Well, my own opinion actually is that I prefer solid-state amps always, as I believe they are 'neutral' (rather 'objective'), whereas tubes are destined to alter the sound in some way. There are lots of low/mid-cost SS amps that do the job and provide enough power to drive most headphones.

I'm not one that is looking for "neutral" or "natural", I just like listening to music using various headphones, DACs and amps which gives me many different sound signatures to enjoy and it gives me a lot of variety, if not it would be boring to me. Life is too short to be chasing perfection and I prefer variety, in wine woman and song :beerchug:

May 21, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #749 of 2,668
I'm not one that is looking for "neutral" or "natural", I just like listening to music using various headphones, DACs and amps which gives me many different sound signatures to enjoy and it gives me a lot of variety, if not it would be boring to me. Life is too short to be chasing perfection and I prefer variety, in wine woman and song :beerchug:

I don't chase neutrality anymore, as you said life is too short and it's not as fun. Yes I like a balanced sound, that is clear and precise, but if I wanted neutrality I would have got some Ety's and been done with it (I do love the Ety's, but not for casual listening).

The Amiron is a headphone that stops you wanting to chase perfection, and wants you to sit back and just enjoy the music, especially with an OTL amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back