Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Mar 31, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #691 of 2,669

​Oh totally I realise its always personal preference, but its the factors which govern that preference that make the difference :)  I agree they are more comfortable.  Actually I would like a set that were 75% less clamping force than the DT1990pro's and 25% more than the Amiron homes.  In the same way they say you can "stretch" the headband of the DT's, do you think you could "compress" the headband of the Amiron's by squeezing it together (complete opposite to recommendation for DT's) ?

I also agree that they are not as "in your face".  Oddly, that's what I liked about the DT1990s (and the Grado DR325e's I had before them).  I probably misinterpreted that is being less accurate, since they did not seem to render the same texture and levels that the DT1990's do.  I suppose its the difference between listening to an orchestra down in the front row or up in the Gods.

I have a feeling I should have given the Amiron's more of a chance, but then mine did seem to have a fault too, whereby the yolk creaked when I moved my head !.  I wish there was someone near me who had some I could borrow for a week to be honest.  But there are not that many audiophiles in my area, despite the South East of the UK purportedly being one of the more affluent areas (I'm not affluent, by the way, LOL).

Its an interesting situation.  If there was a decent Hi-Fi retailer that had good demo models available my life would have been a lot easier.  I find it odd that the distributors of beyerdynamic UK are only 45 minutes away from me, but they don't have a full range of demo models, and worse still, have no intention of offering same.  Furthermore, their retail prices are higher than you can buy for elsewhere.  Totally bizarre.

Have you tried the T1gen2's ?

Still not sure what to buy?

Apr 1, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #693 of 2,669
No Geoff :frowning2:  Just cant afford to stuff it up.  I think my problem is that I have champagne taste and beer budget ! LOL

You are a very analytical mind and want every piece of info you can muster. You will get a pair you like. I know you don't want to buy used, but at your budget I would be looking for a mint pair of MrSpeakers Alpha Prime. Right up your alley. My favorite pair currently and I have very similar sonic preferences to you.

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #694 of 2,669
Hello, I would just like to find out if you guys can help me. I bought the DT1770 pro and had them for 6 months. I sold them because they were just lkack excitement i guess.. felt the bass wasn't warm enough along with the mids.. not sure of the technical term.

How ever i bought the Fostex 610's the other week but really didn't get on with the forward mids i guess you could say. So i returned them aswell..

Can anyone let me know if the sound of the Amiron Home are warmer, slightly more exciting sound than the DT 1770 pro's.. finding it hard to find a decent set of can's for the £500 mark..

Thanks

Daniel

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #695 of 2,669
  Hello, I would just like to find out if you guys can help me. I bought the DT1770 pro and had them for 6 months. I sold them because they were just lkack excitement i guess.. felt the bass wasn't warm enough along with the mids.. not sure of the technical term.

How ever i bought the Fostex 610's the other week but really didn't get on with the forward mids i guess you could say. So i returned them aswell..

Can anyone let me know if the sound of the Amiron Home are warmer, slightly more exciting sound than the DT 1770 pro's.. finding it hard to find a decent set of can's for the £500 mark..

Thanks

Daniel

​Daniel, I know what you mean about the 1770s.  I returned them for the same reason.  I'm not sure that I would describe the Amirons as exciting though either.  But then the term "warmer" and "exciting" in audio speak, to me, don't seem to go hand in hand.  Exciting to me is something that is more in your face, like the DT1990's.  The Amirons were definitely a better listen than the 1770's for me.  But I preferred the 1990s to the Amirons.  For me, a perfect solution would be the sound of the 1990s, the metal of the 1990s (rather than the plastic of the Amirons), the twin cables of the Amiron, along with the comfort of the earpads and headband.  Sounds like you are a bit like me, as I have tried several and returned them for one displeasure or another.  Of them all, I did like the 1990s the most, but they clamp so damned hard on your head :frowning2:

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #696 of 2,669
KK someone who relates to what i am saying, finally! I didn't know the Amirons were plastic.. at the price you would of expected aluminium or along those lines..

So i have read the 1990's were a little harsh at the top? or are they smooth. Also is the bass slightly more present than the 1770's..

Also as they are semi open do they leak hugely or just slightly?

Thanks

appreciate your reply!

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #697 of 2,669
  KK someone who relates to what i am saying, finally! I didn't know the Amirons were plastic.. at the price you would of expected aluminium or along those lines..

So i have read the 1990's were a little harsh at the top? or are they smooth. Also is the bass slightly more present than the 1770's..

Thanks

appreciate your reply!

If you don't have problems with the DT 1770's treble, I doubt you will have problems with the DT 1990's treble. The Amiron is actually brighter in the treble than the DT 1990 but the mids are more recessed and darker. The Amiron is great for relaxed listening and medium to low level listening, I find they are sometimes a bit too much treble wise at louder volumes. The DT 1990's have more body to their sound and excitement than the DT 1770's.

The DT 1990 is more semi-open, they leak moderately but not that bad. The Amirons are more open and leak more. 

This review I did of the two may help.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/838972/professional-vs-home-beyerdynamic-dt-1990-pro-vs-beyerdynamic-amiron-home

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #698 of 2,669

Thanks

appreciate your reply!

​kman has answered better than I could (he gave me a lot of help when I was starting to choose, so is better placed to answer).  I would say that although the amirons are mostly plastic, its a good quality build.  having seen the 1990s  first, and that beautiful design, I think I had been spoilt.  The advantage is that the plastic makes the amirons lighter and more comfortable (to me.  others don't find them uncomfortable). As for leaking I didn't find the 1990s leak a lot, and in fact I know I can never have closed headphones as I don't like the isolation.  I don't like the term leak though, or the context in which it is often portrayed... like its an undesirable trait.  Its what they are meant to do.  Its like asking if a Ferrari accelerates really fast.  Answer:  Erm, yes, its meant to !  If you see where I am coming from with that.

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #699 of 2,669
well put. I would be using the headphones for work and pleasure.. so comfort is a must however i put up with the DT1770 pro's and didn't find them too bad.
The clamp force on the DT 1770 pro's was quiet tight but i kinda got used to it. The Amirons sound great, lightweight, more chilled out sound but the DT1990's sound awesome and capable of handling lots of different type of music. I do have a habit of listening to lots of different genres from classical to irish pipe to dance to folk.. so i kinda cover lots of different types in a day.

I guess the lightness of the Amiron and the chillness does appeal. But im gathering that the 1990's are better all rounder.

I need the half way house between the two :)

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #700 of 2,669
  If you don't have problems with the DT 1770's treble, I doubt you will have problems with the DT 1990's treble. The Amiron is actually brighter in the treble than the DT 1990 but the mids are more recessed and darker. The Amiron is great for relaxed listening and medium to low level listening, I find they are sometimes a bit too much treble wise at louder volumes. The DT 1990's have more body to their sound and excitement than the DT 1770's.

The DT 1990 is more semi-open, they leak moderately but not that bad. The Amirons are more open and leak more. 

This review I did of the two may help.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/838972/professional-vs-home-beyerdynamic-dt-1990-pro-vs-beyerdynamic-amiron-home

You i actually liked the treble on the DT1770's i found it was the bass and mids were anaemic if that's the right word to describe it.. not warm enough, too analytical maybe is a better word, yuet just lacked something.

Thats a great review btw. Makes me want both but want something in the middle. As they would be for long periods of listening  in an office environment i kinda want parts of both of the can's.. Maybe the 1990 pros would be better.

If the 1990's make up for what the 1770 didn't have then they will be pretty damn awesome. If the Amiron makes up for the what the 1770 didn't have and still deliver the detail and pure pleasure of listening then maybe they would be better..

Not sure.. Maybe i should order both and return the one i don't like.

Thanks though

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #701 of 2,669
  You i actually liked the treble on the DT1770's i found it was the bass and mids were anaemic if that's the right word to describe it.. not warm enough, too analytical maybe is a better word, yuet just lacked something.

Thats a great review btw. Makes me want both but want something in the middle. As they would be for long periods of listening  in an office environment i kinda want parts of both of the can's.. Maybe the 1990 pros would be better.

If the 1990's make up for what the 1770 didn't have then they will be pretty damn awesome. If the Amiron makes up for the what the 1770 didn't have and still deliver the detail and pure pleasure of listening then maybe they would be better..

Not sure.. Maybe i should order both and return the one i don't like.

Thanks though

Then I wouldn't worry about the treble then. The DT 1770 is lacking compared to the DT 1990 and Amiron to be honest. 

Yeah, true, remember the DT 1990 has another set of pads that does change the sound some. 

But honestly trying both out at the same time and returning the one you don't like could work. You can't always know which one you want sadly until you listen.

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #703 of 2,669

Thanks

appreciate your reply!

To my ears the 1990 are a less harsh up top than my 990 pro. Waayyy more detail though. Unfortunately I have not tried the 1770 so i can't offer a direct comparison for you. I am running them from Tidal on my Computer>New Bifrost> Valhalla 2 and absolutely love the sound.
I listen to what I consider a wide range of music (Classical, Classic Rock, Metal, Modern Rock, EDM, Irish/Celtic Folk, Trap, Prog and so on).

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #704 of 2,669

I find the 1770s need good amplification to properly shine. Not sure if the same is true of the 1990s, but I imagine it is since they use the same drivers. I initially tried the 1770s with a relatively weak amp and was disappointed. They sounded a bit flat and lifeless. Then I got a Woo WA7 and on high-gain they were like a different headphone (and the WA7 is still not a particularly powerful amp). 

I wouldn't call the bass and mids "anaemic" on the 1770s (especially not the mids), but I will say they are seem very clinical in that they give you only what's there in the recording with no real emotion. Not really that surprising for a professional monitoring headphone IMO. Yes, the bass can sound anaemic in some recordings, but in others it can really slam hard and deep. The mids are very present though IMO, almost too much so. After listening to the 1770s, my old DT-990s sound hollow like they're broken! The higher-mids of the 1770 (and I imagine the 1990) can sometimes give guitars and some higher-pitched vocals a bit too much edge and bite to be enjoyable. Ultimately, I feel like these are very good monitoring headphones in that they really reveal differences in recording quality and mix. They are utterly unforgiving of bad mixes, but make well mixed recordings sound awesome. Sadly, my experience with the 1770s suggests that most modern recordings are not very well mastered.

Sounds like the Amiron has a more U-shaped response curve, which inherently will take some of the edgy energy out of the music and mellow things out a bit. I've not heard them, but I imagine they are not as good as the 1990/1770 for vocals, for example. The 1770s can really make some vocals sing, so to speak. 

Ultimately I'll probably sell the 1770s. I might try to find somewhere to try out the Amirons or 1990s, but I really need a closed-back headphone to shut out the world... something still retaining some mid-range energy but that's slightly more tuned for listening enjoyment rather than cold, hard monitoring (a highly subjective thing, I know). I guess I'm a "shallow-U" kinda person!

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #705 of 2,669
Got my Amiron yesterday, and in quick impression, I really enjoy them.  So far listening on my Vali 2 and my Pono in single ended mode.  I already like the Amiron better than the HD600 by a good bit, and we'll see if it improves on the portable player when I receive a cable from Surfcables to allow it to run in balanced mode.  These are definitely a good companion to my DT770 when I want an open headphone.
Once I get a replacement screw from Grado for the one that fell out of my GS2000e, I'll do a thorough comparison of Amiron vs my current favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back