Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90)
Mar 26, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #1,756 of 2,674
Agree the Amiron isn't bright at all, while it does have an elevated upper treble response it's not fatiguing, the actual tone of the headphone is not remotely bright. Honestly a thing I noticed with most headphones is they seem to get bright sounding after extended listening. This doesn't happen on the Amiron. It's one of the few headphones that doesn't sound brighter with extended use and that's one thing that sets it apart from most headphones.
Looking at product page looks like they specifically targeted that.

Mar 26, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #1,757 of 2,674
Looking at product page looks like they specifically targeted that.

Yeah they did. I only have owned a couple other headphones I can listen to all day without them sounding bright, one is the T1.2. The Amiron Home and T1.2 are some of the only headphones I can exclusively live with. So both are on my list of a desert island headphone. My problem with say my Sennheiser HD 6XX and Nighthawk Carbon is they start sounding a bit bright and grating with extended use despite both being touted as dark and non-fatiguing headphones. They're not bad but I can't live with them exclusively because of that and I just keep them for when I want something different.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #1,758 of 2,674
One thing I should note is the Amiron has a burn in time, but it is not insanely long. Out of the box, you will notice that it has a rather elevated mid bass response. This will start to reduce itself after around 8 hours use, and will continue to mellow until the headphone is completely burned in at around 55-60 hours use. The mid bass bump never disappears, but it becomes more in line to being appropriate with the overall signature of the headphone after burn in. Its bass is softer than the DT1990. It is not as punchy, tight, or dynamic. Saying that though, what the Amiron does offer is a wonderful, musical, and lush sound. From everything you have said, this is definitely a headphone you will be happy with.
DT 1990 has mid-high bass hump too i guess it's tesla 2.0 characteristic. How about subbass ?

Mar 26, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #1,759 of 2,674
The mid bass hump is a bit higher and broader on the Amiron. The Amiron and the DT1990 are actually about even in the sub bass. However, the DT1990 is faster, tighter, and more defined in its bass response. The Amiron has a softer bass presentation. As you already know, the DT1990 likes to attack the listener with detail and speed, and this includes the bass response. These are two rather different sounding headphones. If you find the DT1990 to be too energetic and aggressive, and you don't want to EQ, the Amiron really is an excellent alternative.

Edit: I just put on both headphones, and sub bass is actually about equal on both headphones, so I adjusted my above statements.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 6:43 AM Post #1,760 of 2,674
Looks like its closer to DT 770. Softer with more subbass. Yes DT 1990 is like bombarding everything to your ears :) First thing i noticed was speed and precision of the bass with default balanced pads. Depends on what you listen every approach have it's pros and cons. DT 1990 can do magic with some songs but it can be unlistenable with another song.

Mar 26, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #1,761 of 2,674
Years ago, I owned the DT770. I did not like that headphone at all. It had a boomy and uncontrolled bass response, recessed mids, and a piercing treble at 6kHz that hurt my ears. I ended up getting rid of it, and then got a DT880. It was a totally different experience when I owned it. The DT770 and DT880 both have the classic 8kHz Beyer peak, but the 880 does not have that painful 6kHz spiking. The 880 is a bit bright at 8-8.5kHz, but the DT770 is bright from 6-10kHz. We all have issues with a certain treble frequency. It depends on the shape of our ear canal, as well as how we hear and perceive sound. Some actually have issues with even more than one treble frequency. For me, a 6kHz spike is literally painful. I remember a few years ago when I tested out my friend's HD700. That headphone has a huge 6-6.5kHz spike. It was very painful to listen to for me. I don't have issues with 8kHz or 10kHz peaks being painful. If a headphone ends up a bit too bright in either of these areas, I can just EQ it down a bit to get the right sound.

Mar 26, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #1,762 of 2,674
Years ago, I owned the DT770. I did not like that headphone at all. It had a boomy and uncontrolled bass response, recessed mids, and a piercing treble at 6kHz that hurt my ears. I ended up getting rid of it, and then got a DT880. It was a totally different experience when I owned it. The DT770 and DT880 both have the classic 8kHz Beyer peak, but the 880 does not have that painful 6kHz spiking. The 880 is a bit bright at 8-8.5kHz, but the DT770 is bright from 6-10kHz. We all have issues with a certain treble frequency. It depends on the shape of our ear canal, as well as how we hear and perceive sound. Some actually have issues with even more than one treble frequency. For me, a 6kHz spike is literally painful. I remember a few years ago when I tested out my friend's HD700. That headphone has a huge 6-6.5kHz spike. It was very painful to listen to for me. I don't have issues with 8kHz or 10kHz peaks being painful. If a headphone ends up a bit too bright in either of these areas, I can just EQ it down a bit to get the right sound.
That's true. Everyone have different sensitivity. DT 770 is much more relaxed than DT 1990 for me. I'm more sensitive to forward vocals i guess. Yes DT 770 has boomy and uncontrolled bass. Especially the 80 ohm version is ridiculous. 250ohm version is more acceptable. It's entry tier audiophile headphone difference is obvious against something like DT 1990.

Here are examples for DT 1990
Amazing performance: 1 : congested, fast music giving you every detail with an incredibly sweat sound 2 :listen from tidal if you can. Amazing stereo image.
Unlistenable ones: 1: vocals can kill, mid bass super aggressive 2: this one obvious

Mar 26, 2020 at 7:33 AM Post #1,763 of 2,674
The mids are slightly recessed on the Amiron, and the vocals are also a bit layed back. All of the detail in the mids is there, but it is not at all up front in presentation. This is definitely the headphone for you. I think you would be quite happy with the Amiron.

Mar 26, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #1,764 of 2,674
So strange how differently we all hear. While i dont have the t1 i do have the hd800 and im not claiming it a victor as being better. I guess better is really a subjective term, what sounds more enjoyable t9 me is better" while retaining many of the technical aspects i value. Tonality, Air, separation, imaging.

I have some high end cans, better though?? nah not for me. Alot of that has to do with myself finding it tonally right on the money for my preferences though, so im comfortable knowing im strange and probably in the minority. Shoot, i just traded a nice respected after market cable because i didnt like it, and pretty much everyone else i read loves the thing. So just ignore the odd duck here lol

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #1,765 of 2,674
The mids are slightly recessed on the Amiron, and the vocals are also a bit layed back. All of the detail in the mids is there, but it is not at all up front in presentation. This is definitely the headphone for you. I think you would be quite happy with the Amiron.
Yeah it looks like it fits my needs. I'm quite excited for it. I will buy it soon. I've checked some ''audiophile'' reviews they are not really much fan of it but they generally hate Beyerdynamic and love the classic hd600, 650, 660, 6xx etc... These audiophiles are funny. However DT 1990 is highly praised compared to every other can (1770, Amiron, T1). Flagship T1 is interesting but lack of bass deal breaker for me. Even DT 1990 with analytical pads have a bit weak/anemic bass for my taste.

Mar 27, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #1,766 of 2,674
Yeah, f
Yeah it looks like it fits my needs. I'm quite excited for it. I will buy it soon. I've checked some ''audiophile'' reviews they are not really much fan of it but they generally hate Beyerdynamic and love the classic hd600, 650, 660, 6xx etc... These audiophiles are funny. However DT 1990 is highly praised compared to every other can (1770, Amiron, T1). Flagship T1 is interesting but lack of bass deal breaker for me. Even DT 1990 with analytical pads have a bit weak/anemic bass for my taste.
I think these reviewers are Sennheiser-biased. If that's the case, don't bother reading their reviews. It's a waste of time and confuses you even more.

The DT1990 may be praised highly but any idea why? Gamers who plays a lot of competitive games praises the DT770/880/1770/1990 because they want to hear everything like the footsteps of the enemies. It may be very nice too but for those who are sensitive to sibilance like me, better avoid them. I own the DT880, I like it but it's very harsh. It's has been collecting dust for 3 months. Oddly enough my DT770 is nicer than the 880 and it's less harsh. I wanted the 1770 but for now I put it on hold.

I have the T5p.2 and love it. If want bass, it may not be for you too as the bass is balanced, it's not overwhelming nor underwhelming. It's bright while not fatiguing at all. The Amiron... now we are talking! I'm still impressed when watching Netflix series with the Amiron Home and Amiron Wireless. So airy, so soft, relaxed and laid back, cinematic audio, vocals are so much natural and laid back. Everything sounds so dam well. I think you'll love it, especially if you want bass.

So strange how differently we all hear. While i dont have the t1 i do have the hd800 and im not claiming it a victor as being better. I guess better is really a subjective term, what sounds more enjoyable t9 me is better" while retaining many of the technical aspects i value. Tonality, Air, separation, imaging.

I have some high end cans, better though?? nah not for me. Alot of that has to do with myself finding it tonally right on the money for my preferences though, so im comfortable knowing im strange and probably in the minority. Shoot, i just traded a nice respected after market cable because i didnt like it, and pretty much everyone else i read loves the thing. So just ignore the odd duck here lol
The more expensive, the more money you whiped your butt with it lol. It's very subjective indeed. Everyone has their own opinions, preferences and tastes (and smells lol) The Alcantara of my Amiron Wireless smells so good, I almost want to eat it. Sony ZR1 is highly praised but you need a lot of toilet paper if you want to get it. Just because something is a lot more expensive doesn't mean it's a lot better.

Mar 27, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #1,767 of 2,674
I can see that alcantara getting funky after a few years though, i have a make shift sliver of fabric i slap on my bald head before the cans go on, so should preserve them awhile I hope. Does the t1 have the same amount of mid bass as Amiron? I think it really fills out the sound prob why i love them so much

Mar 27, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #1,768 of 2,674
I can see that alcantara getting funky after a few years though, i have a make shift sliver of fabric i slap on my bald head before the cans go on, so should preserve them awhile I hope. Does the t1 have the same amount of mid bass as Amiron? I think it really fills out the sound prob why i love them so much
Yeah, I should probably use something to protect the alcantara as my hair hasn't been really healthy since I have to keep using medicines. Getting bald is a side-effect too lol. However, I do actually use the included protective case for my Amiron Wireless despite it looks so odd, just one big giant black egg hahaha

I wanted the T1.2 but was afraid my devices might not be powerfull enough for the T1 so got the T5p.2 intead.

Mar 29, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #1,770 of 2,674
Is there a balanced amiron beyerdinamic cable with 2.5mm terminal?
You can use the Meze 99 balanced cables. I use the 3.5mm version for my Amiron Home and T5p and they work without any problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back