beyer t70 & t70p NEW!
Jun 13, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #467 of 623
Quote:
Do not expect to be blown away by bass-impact if you listen to the genre of your nickname 
normal_smile%20.gif

T70 is everything else than a bass focused headphone....

While I do listen to trance, I also listen to many other genres of music  :wink:   I also do enjoy listening to the same genre of music through different cans. I Have owned quite a few different cans, I  usually have 3 different cans at a time to satisfy my different music tastes. One that is neutral in sound (t70), and closed for isolation is useful. One that has open sound, Grado are my current open fave, I opted for the Alessandro MS-2 (I owned the ms-pro prior which is epic, but to satisfy my multi headphone needs I downgraded to save some cash). And lastly a headphone that has great bass for when I want to feel, rather than hear my bass, again closed back, Is the Sony XB-500 (cheaper headphones are great for bassheads, higher end headphones usually have less bass because they are tuned to be balanced rather than "mainstream" sounding. I did own the dt990, but they weren't for me, found the mids to be quite recessed, and treble sound was a tad artificial. Yes the Sony xb500 isn't exactly a mid forward can at all, but its expected for the price. But that was with myparticular setup, I never tried them through tube amp.  I also have quite a few IEM's which when amped are all bass monsters, yet still quality in other frequencies.

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #468 of 623
Sony XB-500 (cheaper headphones are great for bassheads, higher end headphones usually have less bass because they are tuned to be balanced [/]

Yup, the Sony XB-500 has more bass than the XB1000 that's for sure, and high-end HP's like the Hifiman HE-6, Tesla T1, Sennheiser HE60 are all very reference and flat sounding, not designed to zoom in on any particular part of the music.  That's why I like the T5p and K1000 since they're more active and lively.

The SE535 isn't even tuned to flat (studio monitor) it's tuned to have pleasant high-end roll-off (stage monitor) so stage performers can use it for hours without treble fatigue, the J-phonic K2 SP is similar, such designs are not Hi-Fi or musical sapphires.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #469 of 623
Quote:

I just sold gel pads here on Head-Fi, see for pictures:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/612863/sold-beyerdynamic-gel-ear-pads

You can buy them at http://www.pilotshop.nl/contents/en-uk/d225.html

I don't think they will ship to the United States. Are there any other places? I found one place here in the states, but I think they are closed.

Jun 14, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #470 of 623
Quote:

While I do listen to trance, I also listen to many other genres of music  :wink:   I also do enjoy listening to the same genre of music through different cans. I Have owned quite a few different cans, I  usually have 3 different cans at a time to satisfy my different music tastes. One that is neutral in sound (t70), and closed for isolation is useful. One that has open sound, Grado are my current open fave....

I am looking forwad to read about your impressions when you hear the T70! Did you receive them yet? :)

Jun 14, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #471 of 623
Another happy T70 owner here:)

I'm pairing them with Red Wine Audios Isabellina HPA LFP-V Edition, a NOS dac with a tube headphone amp using a single 6922 type tube. It's a wonderful match. Used to have the DT770 - 600 ohm manufaktur, and I loved them. But T70 is on another level according to detail retrieval, clarity, transparence, soundstage/layering. Very accurate sound reproduction. I don't mind the bass is a little on the lean side. For some musical genres it misses some punch and slam in the bass, but for jazz, it is just perfect. Reproduces double bass in a very accurate and natural way. Great for classical music too. Also I find vocals to sound very good, so I also listen to soul with my T70.

How do you find the T70P vs. the T70 scales with source/amp? I chose the T70, because I thought it would be a good match with the Isabellina having 250 ohm resistance. It is, and that was the most important thing for me. Still it could be interesting to try T70P and T5P with the same setup and see how they are doing...

Jun 14, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #472 of 623
I think I'll try the shave and haircut mod tonight. Maybe my T70 will get even better!!!

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #474 of 623
Jun 15, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #475 of 623
Jun 18, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #477 of 623
After a few months with these, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship..
The detail is still phenomenal, and I like the mids and highs - as KraftD1 above mentions they are brilliant for Jazz and instrument presentation in general.
Listening to Cinematic Orchestra at the moment and it is bliss to my ears!

I must say though that paying about $530 Aussie dollars, plus above $40 for the gel pads they were pretty pricey.
Seeing these deals for $370 now is annoying! :p

Anyway, they definitely don't have 'no bass'; but they definitely don't emphasise bass in any way compared to the other frequencies. I should've guessed this by looking at the FR graphs.. but I wasn't to know what it'd actually sound like til I got them and I had what I thought was some good advice on other forums etc..
The bass the T70s produce is suburb in quality (tracks with low sub really give a nice warm fuzzy feeling, especially since I got the gel pads).
The quantity really just isn't there though. In order to get what I personally feel like is 'my amount' of bass level I have to turn the overall volume up too high, making the highs quite piercing and not fun for my ears...

This is all just my personal preference though. A dedicated head-amp might help; at the moment I'm still just going straight out of my Roland firewire soundcard. I believe its a good source but it probably won't do many cans justice in terms of amping. 

So anyway, for my bass needs I just ordered a 2nd hand pair of Pro-900s (so pre-burnt in) that already have some Denon pleather pads modded for them too. Can't wait to hear them for myself and find out what all the fuss about their bass is! I was weighing up Denon D5000 but due to the much higher cost I'd have to sell the T70s.

If the Pro900s float my boat though and are good for gaming too as everyone says with their S-Logic, I might keep the T70s as a different style of cans (contrasting/complimentary). Perhaps as my monitoring/mixing cans for when I make music / do sound design. Or I've been thinking of selling and going for some much cheaper DT-250s, which are meant to be as close to flat response studio monitor speakers as you can get.
I'm probably going to get a Matrix M-stage before I decide whether to keep the T70 or not though.

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #478 of 623
My first impressions of the t70 are great, I am totally loving the smooth, yet crisp treble and soothing mids. The detail and speed of the treble is phenomenal, yet not a hint of harshness. Female vocals sound very natural, male sound a bit thin. The mids again very detailed and I'm finding guitar sounds quite nice, the mids are smooth. I am using a fairly bassy opamp setup in my amp, so as a result I am actually finding the bass excellent, very detailed, goes ALL the way down low and has impact and dynamics (though when pushing less power through them, say if I lower the gain on my amp then the bass impact goes away and is more heard then felt. Even with plenty of power there is no boomyness whatsoever to the bass, so that's maybe why some people are complaining. But I found the impact and detail great, and in no way is the bass lacking. I have also ordered leather pads, so I can't image how much bass these will have when their on, I'm already happy with the bass! The balance of frequencies is perfect, nothing seems out of place, the t70 is quite a neutral phone so some might find it boring, but I found the neutrality a perfect way to listen to music as it was intended. It still sounds engaging, how can it not, so much detail being thrown at you.  Great job Beyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back