beyer T50p: beyerdynamic Announces The T50p Portable Tesla Headphones
Oct 15, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #722 of 866

Quote:
Here's my review about them, if anyone's interested: http://anythingbutipod.com/2010/10/beyerdynamic-t-50-p-tesla-review/

Your avatar looks so grumpy ... it always frightens me ...
eek.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #723 of 866

Quote:
Here's my review about them, if anyone's interested: http://anythingbutipod.com/2010/10/beyerdynamic-t-50-p-tesla-review/

Well, fair review, nothing to be [size=11pt]frightened [/size]of
wink_face.gif

If I can't live with their sound though they will just go back, like the DT 990 edition which I didn't like at all. No extra costs involved.

But your statements like
"... but they perform well as long as it’s understated, ‘polite’, or ‘dry’ sound you’re looking for..."
and
"... but lately their interesting take on neutral audio reproduction grew on me..."
make it probable I will like them
k701smile.gif

Nice photos too !

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #725 of 866

Quote:

Thanks for your review, very interesting and revealing!

By the way, the back plates are made of real aluminium with an embossed linen texture (no plastic!) ... at least with my T50p.
I also found that positioning of the T50p is very tricky, but if done properly, it really works well.

Nice photos you made!

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #726 of 866
You are absolutely right. I left them in a colder room, and the "mesh/linen" plate is as cold as the headband, while the black part of the ear cups appear to be plastic, since it's warmer.

Very weird, since I thought the black part is anodized aluminum, and the plate is plastic - it sure doesn't look like metal to me, with that texture. I should have paid more attention to that.

Oct 19, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #727 of 866

Quote:

Excellent review. Very well done. This boxy, nasal characteristic is what I heard on first audition, on second audition (but eventually listened past it), and I still hear it when coming off other headphones until the brain adjusts. After that, the T50p sounds just fine. I used to have this happen (still do actually) with the orthodynamic Yamaha YHD-1. 

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #728 of 866
The headphones are extremely accurate in reproducing instruments~ I'm play the drums and its really enjoyable to hear cymbals the way they should be. Currently listening to Vivaldi on strings and the violin is really well presented with a very sweet decay. Initially I had preferred my TF10s but after burning in well past 200hrs, I'm starting to find myself preferring the T50p more and more. Not placebo since I really love my TF10 and have never liked headphones previously... Now if I can just find someone to recable em in Singapore...

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #729 of 866
I'm shopping to replace my RE0 with a closed portable headphone for use at work.  While I like the RE0 for sound, I'm having comfort issues with them.  I've tried a lot of different eartips and even with ones that are more comfortable I just don't like having the sound directly injected into the ear canal, I guess.

My top choices were between Ultrasone 6xx or 7xx and the ATH-ESW9 so far, and then I ran into this thread(!).  As a guy who likes the RE0 sound and my K701s for use at home I'm obviously not a bass-head, I favor balanced sound and especially rich mids.  And I listen to rock/prog/metal/blues, which I know should favor the Ultrasones - yet I'm deterred by the heavy bass and scooped mids that I've seen described.  The ATH-ESW9 has been described as too slow for the stuff I listen to...

Would those of you who have the T50Ps recommend them based on my music and sound preferences?  My portable rig is a DIYmod ipod / Mini3.  I like that these aren't massive like many other closed phones, I need something that is easy to stick in a backpack, etc.

Oct 20, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #730 of 866
I have both the T50p and the ESW9 and I listen to mostly metal and rock. Let me say that, since this summer, my ESW9 has been gathering dust. I usually describe them as fast, with weak but detailled bass and an emphasis on the treble. I do not know how to describe the mids and I fear it's been too long since I last listened to them (just got my HF-2
gs1000.gif
), so I'll let someone else have a got at it.

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #731 of 866
@WyldRage-

I was close to pulling the trigger on the ESW9 and seeing these new Beyers stopped me, and you're confirming what I suspected - that these are probably a better choice for me.  At some point I definitely plan on getting a nicer pair of Grados than the 60s I have (I think having a pair of Grados in the lineup is a must for rock/metal listeners) but right now I want something I can use at the office, and the choices with closed portable headphones are more limited, they're either very bassy, or too large, or very expensive, etc.

I've decided, I'm gonna get these.

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #732 of 866

Quote:

Great review, thanks again.

I saw that you mentioned that the efficiency seemed about the same, but I would really appreciate a bit of SQ comparison between the T50P and the AIAIAI TMA-1 if you have a chance. The ESW9 was not for me, and my Phiaton MS 300 is very nice but I have narrowed it down to these two for a step up, with the B&W's a distant contender as well.

Oct 20, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #733 of 866
@meltdown100

I just remembered something: there's a 15% off at soundearphones with the code "OCT", until the 31st. That's how I ordered my T50p back when they were on pre-order. However, they seem to be out of stock at the moment.

Oct 28, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #734 of 866

Quote:

Great review, thanks again.

I saw that you mentioned that the efficiency seemed about the same, but I would really appreciate a bit of SQ comparison between the T50P and the AIAIAI TMA-1 if you have a chance. The ESW9 was not for me, and my Phiaton MS 300 is very nice but I have narrowed it down to these two for a step up, with the B&W's a distant contender as well.

The TMA-1 are generally much better phones, in my opinion. I've written some short impressions here and here. Those impressions were written some time ago - in the meantime the distance between the TMA-1 and the T50p just grew larger, to my ears. A full review is to follow.

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #735 of 866
Looking at those TMA-1's it's like urbanears - only they sound good. Cool. There's been a long-standing need for a headphone that looks like that and sounds the business. I'd like to try them out, but I'm also not feeling let down by the T50p's. Maybe I'll give them a go at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back