beyer T50p: beyerdynamic Announces The T50p Portable Tesla Headphones
Aug 28, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #601 of 866
Franky, DT770 has the worst sounding in Beyer premium product line. The bass is boomy if you listen carefully. Sorry.

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #602 of 866
I totally disagree.  The DT770/600 is NOT boomy at all in the bass; in fact, it has a little too restrained a bass weight, IMO - when they redesigned the 770 in 2005, they made it to be like a closed DT880.  The 990 has a bit og bass boom, but the 770 does not, IMO.

I think the 770/600 is a massively underrated closed headphone.  When I bought the T1, I sold my 880/600 and 990/600 - no need for them anymore.  But the 770/600, being closed and having good isolation, remains an important part of my headphone stable.

And in terms of just pure performance the 770/600 outperforms the t50p.

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #603 of 866

Quote:
I totally disagree.  The DT770/600 is NOT boomy at all in the bass; in fact, it has a little too restrained a bass weight, IMO - when they redesigned the 770 in 2005, they made it to be like a closed DT880.  The 990 has a bit og bass boom, but the 770 does not, IMO.

I think the 770/600 is a massively underrated closed headphone.  When I bought the T1, I sold my 880/600 and 990/600 - no need for them anymore.  But the 770/600, being closed and having good isolation, remains an important part of my headphone stable.

interesting. funny how ppl hear so differently. 
on another note, i think my t50p will get less headtime now that my T1 is here.  it sounds pretty good through the pb1/db1 combo so i can use it in my living room with my laptop.  gonna see which i like better between the ibasso combo and the HDP and sell the other.

Aug 28, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #604 of 866
Quote:
The reply from me that you quoted was directed to the other posters snarky comment.

I ended up getting the DT770 600 ohm. Great for late-night listening while others are sleeping.

Dude, seriously? You've been nothing but snarky in these past few pages. Is it still the done thing on Headfi for posters to go on crusades for and against certain headphones? You don't like the t50p. My theory is they don't fit you right (Beyer's fault for their strange design), but whatever the theory, you just don't like em. We get it. We understand. You don't have to try to convert us anymore than we have to convert you. 
beerchug.gif

Anyway, here's my badly taken pic as a contribution- 

My portable rig by Apollostowel, on Fl

My portable rig by Apollostowel, on Flickr

My portable rig by Apollostowel, on Flick

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #607 of 866
After 200+ hrs of burning in (finally!) I'm finding that it has really good synergy with the iPhone 4~ Easily driven and enjoyable on the move.

SQ wise, I still prefer my iPod + LOD + Amp + TF10 combo, but for portability, the iPhone + T50p combo is great!

The highs are still a tad sharp especially with female vocals on high notes. Cymbals sometimes feel abit sibilant and hard on the ears, although I suspect it could be the recording itself.

Yet to find time to really sit down and give it a good listen so I'll hold any conclusions for now. But as it is, I would say its not a bad buy :D

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #608 of 866

Quote:
After 200+ hrs of burning in (finally!) I'm finding that it has really good synergy with the iPhone 4~ Easily driven and enjoyable on the move.

SQ wise, I still prefer my iPod + LOD + Amp + TF10 combo, but for portability, the iPhone + T50p combo is great!

The highs are still a tad sharp especially with female vocals on high notes. Cymbals sometimes feel abit sibilant and hard on the ears, although I suspect it could be the recording itself.

Yet to find time to really sit down and give it a good listen so I'll hold any conclusions for now. But as it is, I would say its not a bad buy :D

The iPhone 4 does a fair sight better job than my old deceased iPod Touch 1st gen ever did. I haven't been able to test whether I'd really prefer to take an amp because I don't have a proper LOD right now, just an old SiK line out that doesn't seem to work. Well it was made in an era before LODs and iPhones anyway. I just haven't been packing an amp for a while.

The synergy for me improved when I jailbroke the iPhone and found that stupid RegionalVolumeLimits.plist still hanging out where it always has done. And it was set the same way it always has been. I fixed all volume values to 1, and it sounds like a proper little DAP now. It's not volume, I'm at the same or a little below where I was on the dial before that hack. It's the authoritah. To me, there's a good deal more of it in the bass department. There's some discussion about iOS4 and how this hack shouldn't be needed anymore, but there ya go. It was painless enough to do and doesn't hurt anything.

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #610 of 866

Quote:
those with the t50p and on the wall about the ibasso pb1/db1 combo, should go for it. they sound amazing together.

What kind of bass impact/quality are you finding with that setup? The T50ps, for all their quality, still seem very bass-shy to me -- nowhere near the ESW10s or M50s, for example. Positioning doesn't seem to have much to do with it. Puzzling.

o

Aug 29, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #611 of 866

Quote:

That's the way I heard it as well. That's why I bought them. They lack that typical midbass bloat and sometimes sound even a little lacking in the midbass. But the benefit is that everything throughout the spectrum sounds very open, clean and transparent, not cloudy or muddy. Top end is slightly tipped up though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainsong

Dude, seriously? You've been nothing but snarky in these past few pages. Is it still the done thing on Headfi for posters to go on crusades for and against certain headphones?

My portable rig by Apollostowel, on Flick

I don't know, it is still the movie critic's job to critique movies?

As far as my posting of my opinion goes, consider it a sort of cautionary warning for those who believe every rave they read, then spend their cash and regret it later. Nothing wrong with both sides of a story. People have trashed certain 'phones that I like. So be it.

Aug 29, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #612 of 866

Quote:
What kind of bass impact/quality are you finding with that setup? The T50ps, for all their quality, still seem very bass-shy to me -- nowhere near the ESW10s or M50s, for example. Positioning doesn't seem to have much to do with it. Puzzling.

o

some headphones are just bass light. i agree these are. but to me (my opinion) i think the ibasso brings out very good bass. more than unamped and with the uDAC2

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #613 of 866

Quote:

The 600 Ohm-version must clearly be VERY different from the 250 Ohm version then???
I have never heard the 600 but I almost can't stand the sound of the DT770/250 and I find it to have fuzzy bass and sharp highs. To the DT770/250 I prefer the T50p by a wide margin. 

It would be great to see a comparison between DT770/600 <--> T5p 
regular_smile .gif

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #614 of 866

Quote:
I don't know, it is still the movie critic's job to critique movies?

As far as my posting of my opinion goes, consider it a sort of cautionary warning for those who believe every rave they read, then spend their cash and regret it later. Nothing wrong with both sides of a story. People have trashed certain 'phones that I like. So be it.

I think that is very important. We need to hear all views. Enough people have wasted money by acting too soon on the early praise of new headphones.   

The T50p is NOT for everyone I think that is clear by now. I am looking forward to bring my T50p to meets in Berlin and Copenhagen during the fall and see how people will thrash them. 

Aug 30, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #615 of 866

Quote:

o

I don't think T50p is a bass heavy headphone, if you have listened the HD25 (which is good enough for pop/rock music but still not too much); and the bass is very depending what amp you use. I have tried P51, iQube, Diablo but none of these makes the T50p too much bass. Certainly, the bass in AT ESW series is relatively light so the T50p looks like more bass in contrast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back