Beyer T1 vs ATH W1000x vs Ultrasone Edition 8 Palladium vs D7000 comparisons coming shortly..
Jun 29, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #16 of 69
Very accurate overall ratings IMO.

For me: Ed.8 > T1 >> D7000

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #17 of 69

Quote:
And that is one thing I noticed about the Edition 8s. Although their impedance rating is low, on low gain they were barely audible on the Concerto, but on high gain you have to be very careful as they get super loud. Made me wish the gain switch had 3 settings. Since The ED8 proved power hungry, I’m going to try just it and the T1 since they were the closest competitors for me overall on my Zana Deux Transformer and see how they stack.

Thanks for the review, I always enjoy reading peoples take on the more high end of the dynamic cans.

I liked the T1 but wasn't blown away by them, but I really need to give these more time--I feel the same way about the HD800.  The W1000x comparison interested me the most.  I spend quite a bit of time with the D7000 when I'm in the office and the comparisons gave me an idea of how the W1000x sound like--though nothing beats trying it yourself.

One bit of your review that left be a bit confused was that you found the Ed8 power hungry.  One of the things that impressed me the most about the Ed8 was how great it sounded straight out of a Zune and my phone.  I tried it out of a luxman and that gave the best results, but it still sounded amazing from my Zune.  I tried it with it with a Mustang P51 as well as just the Zune and it sounded amazing.  I was very impressed at the quality of sound that came out without having to deal with amping.  And that's one of the biggest parts that really swung me over to putting Ed8 on the short list of my next headphones, but being barely audible on low gain with your concerto has me a bit worried.

If it wouldn't be a terrible bother.  Could you humor me and try them directly out of a DAP and tell me how they sound?  Cause either my memory of them is completely off or I really do listen to music far too quietly.

Jun 29, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #18 of 69
I am assuming that the preference would go Ed. 8 > D7000 > T1 if you are a bass-oriented person, who prefers Dubstep, DnB, etc. and the ability to play rock music and movies with the home theater-like effect vs.  T1 > Ed. 8 > D7000 if the overall sound quality / sound stage is more important to you?

I like bass, but I do like to hear the notes in my music.  I much prefer the D7000 over the Pro 900s.  The D7000s bass is very realistic to me in comparison and textured when compared to the Pro 900s.  I originally liked the quantity of bass in the Pro 900s but the texture / detail of the D7000 won me over almost instantly.

With that in mind, I am definitely always open to trying the next best thing after the D7000s.  I have been researching whether that would be the t1, the edition 8, HE-500, or the LCD-2.  I am hesitant to get the LCD-2 because no one who carries them offers a return policy that I am aware of, well at least one that doesn't have a 15% restocking fee.

If you wanted to get the next logical upgrade over the D7000, that meaning the qualities that make the d7000 such a great can, which one of these would you find to be the best choice and why?

Jun 29, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #19 of 69

Quote:
I am pretty sure I am the only person left on earth who actually cares about soundstage....anyone have any idea how damned hard it is to find reviews that include soundstage qualities.  Sigh...its very stressful

if you want the most accurate soundstage, go to T1.

if you more like depth than width, W1000X is doing good job. 

never heard D7000 and I think my memories about ED8's sound isn't accurate anymore.

Jun 29, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #20 of 69
Let me set ur mind
redface.gif
. Get LCD 2!
smily_headphones1.gif

Then u will find ur D7000's bass sounds like a junior compared to LCD 2. And the overall sound quality is also really really amazing! Bass doesnt disturb any mids/highs.
If ppl allow me to put in LCD 2 in this thread. It will be LCD 2 >>> Ed.8 > T1 >> D7000

Nothing beats LCD 2 IMO.
wink.gif

One of the BEST bass u can ever hear from headphones.

Quote:
I am assuming that the preference would go Ed. 8 > D7000 > T1 if you are a bass-oriented person, who prefers Dubstep, DnB, etc. and the ability to play rock music and movies with the home theater-like effect vs.  T1 > Ed. 8 > D7000 if the overall sound quality / sound stage is more important to you?

I like bass, but I do like to hear the notes in my music.  I much prefer the D7000 over the Pro 900s.  The D7000s bass is very realistic to me in comparison and textured when compared to the Pro 900s.  I originally liked the quantity of bass in the Pro 900s but the texture / detail of the D7000 won me over almost instantly.

With that in mind, I am definitely always open to trying the next best thing after the D7000s.  I have been researching whether that would be the t1, the edition 8, HE-500, or the LCD-2.  I am hesitant to get the LCD-2 because no one who carries them offers a return policy that I am aware of, well at least one that doesn't have a 15% restocking fee.

If you wanted to get the next logical upgrade over the D7000, that meaning the qualities that make the d7000 such a great can, which one of these would you find to be the best choice and why?

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #21 of 69
Wind016: I actually had to already return the D7000 to the loaner but I have the ED. 8's for a bit longer. Right now I like the Edition 8's a little more than the W1000x but by a tiny margin that mostly has to do with comfort. The bass on both of them is superb and will not leave you wanting and the price difference is pretty huge so I'm not sure if the ED8 is THAT much better....but hey, if I have an extra grand burning in my wallet... :)

Swbf2cheater: I would rank the soundstaging as follows:  T1 > ED8 | D7000 > W1000x.  Remember this does not mean W1000x has bad soundstaging, I think it's great, just that compared to the other 3 it would be the weakest. Also, the T1 is way out there in front as it's an open-back design so it's naturally going to have much better sound stage just like closed-backs have the advantage in bass.

Region2: I think from my experience trying out open-back headphones in anything than a quiet room does not really give you a good picture of how they actually sound. T1s at a meet sound nowhere near as jaw-dropping as they do in my quiet listening room. Same with HD800,etc. I was perplexed by the ED8's behavior on the Concerto as well. My DAPs aren't charged right now, but tonight I will plug it and the W1000x directly into both my Cowon S9 and Creative Zen to see how they sound. S9 has one of the highest mw outputs so I want to make sure it's good on a 'normal' output like the Zen and will update this thread.

Tokendog: for the type of musik you describe, it would definitely be --> ED.8 > W1000x > D7000 > T1  .

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #22 of 69

Quote:
Let me set ur mind
redface.gif
. Get LCD 2!
smily_headphones1.gif

Then u will find ur D7000's bass sounds like a junior compared to LCD 2. And the overall sound quality is also really really amazing! Bass doesnt disturb any mids/highs.
If ppl allow me to put in LCD 2 in this thread. It will be LCD 2 >>> Ed.8 > T1 >> D7000

Nothing beats LCD 2 IMO.
wink.gif

One of the BEST bass u can ever hear from headphones.

Quote:
Wind016: I actually had to already return the D7000 to the loaner but I have the ED. 8's for a bit longer. Right now I like the Edition 8's a little more than the W1000x but by a tiny margin that mostly has to do with comfort. The bass on both of them is superb and will not leave you wanting and the price difference is pretty huge so I'm not sure if the ED8 is THAT much better....but hey, if I have an extra grand burning in my wallet... :)

Swbf2cheater: I would rank the soundstaging as follows:  T1 > ED8 | D7000 > W1000x.  Remember this does not mean W1000x has bad soundstaging, I think it's great, just that compared to the other 3 it would be the weakest. Also, the T1 is way out there in front as it's an open-back design so it's naturally going to have much better sound stage just like closed-backs have the advantage in bass.

Region2: I think from my experience trying out open-back headphones in anything than a quiet room does not really give you a good picture of how they actually sound. T1s at a meet sound nowhere near as jaw-dropping as they do in my quiet listening room. Same with HD800,etc. I was perplexed by the ED8's behavior on the Concerto as well. My DAPs aren't charged right now, but tonight I will plug it and the W1000x directly into both my Cowon S9 and Creative Zen to see how they sound. S9 has one of the highest mw outputs so I want to make sure it's good on a 'normal' output like the Zen and will update this thread.

Tokendog: for the type of musik you describe, it would definitely be --> ED.8 > W1000x > D7000 > T1  .

Now it just comes down to which is better....the Ed. 8 or the LCD-2.

Thank you for the comparison, enjoyed reading it and appreciate the time you put in to doing it.

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #23 of 69
This depends on wt u what. like comfort, other things.

If bass is really more important to you. Then I have to say LCD 2. 

Another thing, Ed. 8 is a lot brighter than LCD 2 (but no way harming ur ears. still warmer than T1/HD800). LCD 2 sounds a lot warmer still with crystal clear sound.

But LCD 2 is totally not portable, Ed.8 on the other hand sounds great even if u plug directly into iphone

Quote:

Now it just comes down to which is better....the Ed. 8 or the LCD-2.

Thank you for the comparison, enjoyed reading it and appreciate the time you put in to doing it.

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #24 of 69
Where do you find people to lend you all these great cans? I sure wish more head-fiers lived near me.

I'll sit quietly in the corner with my ah d2000. :)

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #25 of 69
From what I heard before, I don't think the ED8 is that much better either, but it's a much more practical and isolating for portable situations.
But I think the only advantage it had over the ATH ESW10JPN or ES10 in portable players was in isolation so it's price is bit high for me to justify for portable use. For an all-in-one, it's probably a top choice though.

Quote:

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #26 of 69
Tupac0306: From what I understand the LCD-2 is an open-back headphone. Are you suggesting that it has more bass than a closed-back ED8 or WX1000x? I find that extremely hard to believe. I would believe if you said they are the bassiest open-back headphones, but overall? Skepticism overcomes me :)  I will definitely keep an eye out for them at the next meet to give them a try! The closest thing I've heard were the HE-6 cans after hearing a lot of raves about their bass. They left me completely underwhelmed. For an open-can they were good, but nothing near what closed backs offer in my opinion.

Jun 29, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #27 of 69

Quote:
Tupac0306: From what I understand the LCD-2 is an open-back headphone. Are you suggesting that it has more bass than a closed-back ED8 or WX1000x? I find that extremely hard to believe. I would believe if you said they are the bassiest open-back headphones, but overall? Skepticism overcomes me :)  I will definitely keep an eye out for them at the next meet to give them a try! The closest thing I've heard were the HE-6 cans after hearing a lot of raves about their bass. They left me completely underwhelmed. For an open-can they were good, but nothing near what closed backs offer in my opinion.

I've owned the D7000, W1000X, Edition 8 (Palladium), HE-6, and LCD-2 at various times in the past (though I don't have any of them anymore).  In terms of overall bass quantity, I would rate them as follows:

D7000 = W1000X > LCD-2 >> Edition 8 = HE-6

The D7000 and W1000X have about the same amount of bass to my ears, with the D7000 providing more deep bass and the W1000X providing a stronger midbass hump.  The LCD-2 was not far behind these in bass quantity, though -- I found them to be very bassy for an open headphone.  The Edition 8 was a fair bit behind the others in bass quantity -- actually I thought it was one of Ultrasone's more bass-neutral offerings, about on par quantity-wise with the HE-6.

If you want an open headphone with a lot of bass, check out the Fischer Audio FA-011 -- HUGE bass for an open can IMO.  About on par with the D7000 or W1000X in bass quantity -- in fact the FA-011 might even have a touch more bass quantity than these closed headphones.

Jun 29, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #28 of 69
Thanks for the review

I was wondering what the street prices of these cans are?

T1 = $1000 ?
w1000x = $500 ?
Ed. 8 Palladium = $1000+ ?
D7000 = $500 ?

The above is just a guesstimate - it would be great if somebody could accurately share the info~
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #29 of 69
Awesome review. Thank you very much. I only really know the T1 out of the four, which I had for a week. I was quite impressed with the punch and detail of the bass, though, but wearing the PRO 900 right now I'm not surprised the Ultrasone is quite more capable in the bass department.

I will stick to the T1, though, and keep the PRO 900 for the special days or long train rides. Thanks for helping me with the decision!

Jun 29, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #30 of 69
Sophonax: My experience with the Ed 8 and the W1000x mirrored yours, until I upped the power to the Ed.8, then it clearly surpassed the W1000x with ease. I think a lot of this may have to do with amp synergy also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back