Beyer DT880 or Grado HF-2?
Oct 11, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT880 has a similar bright and fast signature like the RS-1, but it's more balanced overall. Another important point about the DT880 (I have the 2003 model) is that its character changes depending on your amp. Grados aren't as amp-sensitive as the DT880. I'm not saying it's bad (it's a great headphone), but you might want to look up impressions of the DT880 from owners who have your amp. They'll give you the most accurate representation. The DT880 will rock, but not quite like Grados will.

Remember this is a 2003 DT880 impression. I've had both the '03 DT880 and currently my DT880/600 and tbh the DT880/600 easily tops it along with other people who've had both.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...thread-429371/

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't that the guy who has a crush on the German Maestro or something?

tongue.gif
Got a smirk out of that. Funny if you don't associate 'German Maestro' with the audio brand.

Oct 11, 2009 at 12:13 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by techfreakazoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Besides Uncle Erik's comparison, anyone with significant listening time with the DT880 (250 v 600 ohm) and HF-2 can comment on the nuances--strengths, weaknesses, synergy with SS / tube amps, genres (hip hop, trance, jazz, classical)?

I have DT880 & HF2. They both offer different perspectives on music. HF2 is more suitable for musics require narrow soundstage, like rock & jazz. (although I don't listen rock) Its lively like presentation is really remarkable & makes other phones sounds somewhat veiled. However, when it comes to the classical music, it is completely different story. DT880 is balanced from top to bottom. Much more detailed & accurate in this manner. HF2 sounds also great with classical because of its liveliness, but it is just not balanced, it offers no accurate listen of large symphonies.
I would consider HF2 as a extrem fun can. Its sonical representation is on another league. But this also could lead to fatigue on ears only after short listening period. DT880 is so balaced from top to bottom, sometimes it may sounds boring. (Depending on your mood)
So for me, they both are definately keepers.
L3000.gif

Oct 12, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't that the guy who has a crush on the German Maestro or something?

I've never heard them.

Oct 13, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by pzm9pzm9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have DT880 & HF2. They both offer different perspectives on music. HF2 is more suitable for musics require narrow soundstage, like rock & jazz. (although I don't listen rock) Its lively like presentation is really remarkable & makes other phones sounds somewhat veiled. However, when it comes to the classical music, it is completely different story. DT880 is balanced from top to bottom. Much more detailed & accurate in this manner. HF2 sounds also great with classical because of its liveliness, but it is just not balanced, it offers no accurate listen of large symphonies.
I would consider HF2 as a extrem fun can. Its sonical representation is on another league. But this also could lead to fatigue on ears only after short listening period. DT880 is so balaced from top to bottom, sometimes it may sounds boring. (Depending on your mood)
L3000.gif

Thanks pzm9pzm9. Interesting comparison. Would you say the HF2 is a faster can than the DT880 with better attack and decay? Besides classical, what's your preference for other genres--hip hop, trance, and jazz?

Oct 19, 2009 at 11:03 AM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by techfreakazoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks pzm9pzm9. Interesting comparison. Would you say the HF2 is a faster can than the DT880 with better attack and decay? Besides classical, what's your preference for other genres--hip hop, trance, and jazz?

omg, Im sorry for not replying this. I never looked back this thread since posting.
beerchug.gif

Because of its forward sounding, HF-2 seems a faster can. Could anyone confirm this? I cannot say this for sure. I guess I don't usually think of the responsiveness of cans when I listen. This also might have to do with my listening genre which has been mostly Jazz but slowly moving into Classicals.
Somehow, I find myself not liking hip-hop anymore. Hiphop was great back in dr.dre, snoop, eminem's era. Remember Up in the smoke Tour?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 19, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by pzm9pzm9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
L3000.gif

I agree with a lot of what you said. I have acquired both of these headphones in the past month and they're both keepers. I have not heard a headphone that is more enjoyable for electronic music than the DT880s. I stayed away from them for years due to comments about "not enough bass." Well, it turns out the 990s were too bass-heavy for me and the 880s are just right.

My HF-2s don't even have 50 hours on them yet but I loved them out of the box. Obviously, outstanding headphones for rock. However, they are also enjoyable for electronic music (especially anything that is fast or percussion-heavy like the Venetian Snares album I'm listening to). They provide more of a closed/studio monitor feel compared to the 880s.

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #23 of 39
@pzm9pzm9

No worries. I don't visit Head-Fi every day and when I do read, don't check prior posts. Speed with respect to good attack and decay is a prerequisite for electronic dance music in my books. Laid-back cans are better suited for slow genres such as jazz and classical. I hear you on the current state of hip hop. Nothing beats old school!
wink.gif

@nierika

So for bass quantity, HF2 > DT880? What about quality--extension, clarity, texture, response? Which can do you prefer for trance in light of the DT880's soundstage and imaging vs. the HF2's speed?

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #24 of 39
I say that @pzm9pzm9 has it right within the constraints of the thread. My personal preference would be that dt880/600 be supplanted with X-Deep Darthbeyers w/ 600ohm drivers (have 3 pairs now revised with the 600 ohm). HF-2 (have pair at Headphile being transformed into The Vixen[we'll see what happens]) for Jazz.....and the X-Deeps/600ohm for the big stuff.

I should mention that one time I had first, the 2003 dt880/250, then the better (IMO) 2005 dt880/600.

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #25 of 39
Bass...

Quantity: HF-2 due to a larger mid-bass hump
Extension: slight edge to DT-880
Other qualities: need more time with the HF-2s as I've had them less than a week

I'm not a fan of trance but if I were digging on some Goa, I'd probably reach for the 880s. The HF-2s excel at anything that's aggressive/percussive such as hard techno or drum and bass.

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #26 of 39
At RMAF a few weeks ago a company called CEntrance was demonstrating their new DACport 24/96 USB DAC/amp using the Beyer DT880. Their Beyer were fairly inefficient, artificial/thin sounding, and the treble sounded false or plasticky. I just didn't agree with the timbre and tone of their DT880

We compared the HF-2 to the DT880 side by side, and the HF-2 easily stomped the DT880 into the ground. There was no comparison, and we had many people compare them and it was unanimous in favor of the HF-2 and RS-1. My APS v3 cabled RS-1 did a little better than HF-2, and so I loaned CEntrance the RS-1 for the whole weekend so that people could get a real demo of the DACport. It sounded very good with Grados and should compete well with things like the Apogee Duet and iBasso D10.

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #27 of 39
Interesting impressions. I'm getting a better sense of the HF2's sound signature though HeadphoneAddict added an interesting twist.
wink.gif
It sounds it's a synergy matter with the DACport. The DT880 requires a meaty amp to drive those 250 / 600 ohm cans and bring out its richness.

Oct 23, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard them.

No, I was referring to the Acix guy.

Anyway in the upcoming meet, I would be able to compare the HF2 with a DT880 (250 ohm, 2005 version I think) so I will report back to you. I doubt I will like the Beyer though because I never really like the tonality of the 8xx series.

Oct 23, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #29 of 39
I've always had the same feeling of the DT880 as headphoneaddict. Kind of metalic sounding treble, just sounded like they used too much equipment and not enough human ear in the engeneering department.

The HF2 sounds much more organic to me. My only complaint was that the mids were back in the mix, and that's something I really don't like, so they had to go. Otherwise they were my favorite current production grado.

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #30 of 39
electronic/dance music and rock on the same cans? wow that's tough.

I'd choose the HF2 anyday over the DT880. But I'm not sure if HF2 is the best choice for electronic/dance. It does have a nice smooth bass though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back