Beyer DT880 or Grado HF-2?
Jun 4, 2009 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

jfourc

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of headphones to complement my HD650s + Darkvoice 336SE tube amp for rock and electronic/dance music. I'm not a basshead, but I would like a decent amount of bass - the DT880 is probably good enough for me. I was going to get the DT880 (600 ohms), but after going through the Grado HF-2 threads, I'm wondering if I should get the HF-2 instead.

Could someone who has heard both of these cans (not necessarily the 600 ohm version of the DT880) give me their thoughts about which would be better suited for me? I want something with less of a rolled off high end like my HD650s, but without sacrificing too much bass (a big reason why I've stayed away from Grados). Does the HF-2 have comparable bass to the DT880s, and is it $150 better than the DT880s for my purposes?

I am also open to other suggestions for headphones.

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 39
I have not heard the HF-2, but I bet it will sound similar to the older Professional Series by Grado. That being said it will be more neutral with a wider soundstage and very visceral bass. The whole frequency spectrum with be extended yet smooth. Mids would be smooth and very detailed. These of course are all assumptions based on my experience with the HP2 in the past, but that was months back, so...

The beyers are excellent for rock. They have just enough bass for double bass drums. Bass is very punchy, controlled, and quick. The mids are very nice and detailed yet smooth. Guitars sound very nice. Highs are extended and very detailed and also give guitars that edgy sound I like for metal. The soundstage capabilities are good, with great depth and layers. The 600Ohm DT880 is also considerably faster sounding than the 250Ohm DT880 in my opinion.

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 39
lots of reports say that the HF-2 isnt the typical grado sound.
Still, I'd recomend a grado over beyer to compliment sennheiser. To me beyer just sounds like a more natural sennheiser (excluding the 770 and 600 of course which are the opposite).

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 39
The beyer is a much quirkier headphone. The people that love them really love them, but I think the HF2 is an easier to love headphone.

Jun 4, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #7 of 39
I've owned the DT880 for some time and listened to the HF-2 at CanJam. I also have a HF-2 on order - hopefully, Todd will ship soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

For rock, you're almost always better off with Grado. The HF-2 has the house sound, but based on quick impressions, it's a little darker and less bright than the typical Grado, like a RS-1. The HF-2 doesn't really sound like a HP-2, which is more neutral and holographic than the rest of the line.

The DT880 has a similar bright and fast signature like the RS-1, but it's more balanced overall. Another important point about the DT880 (I have the 2003 model) is that its character changes depending on your amp. Grados aren't as amp-sensitive as the DT880. I'm not saying it's bad (it's a great headphone), but you might want to look up impressions of the DT880 from owners who have your amp. They'll give you the most accurate representation. The DT880 will rock, but not quite like Grados will.

I'd go with the HF-2. It's a good sounding headphone and I can't wait to put some serious hours on it. The HF-1 stays boxed and stored most of the time (though it made an appearance at CanJam), butn I ge the feeling that the HF-2 will end up in regular rotation.

Another benefit of the HF-2 is that prices are likely to rise once production and availability end. Even if you're not 100% in love with them, hold onto them for six months and then trade them for a RS-1. The RS-1 is a hell of a good rock can - you'd have a hard time finding a better one.

Jun 4, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #8 of 39
Thanks for everyone's thoughts on the differences between these two cans. I was leaning towards the DT880s, but these impressions have tipped me towards the HF-2. I think I'll try out the HF-2's just because it'll be a nice change from my HD650s, plus it'll have good resell value if I end up not liking them as Uncle Erik points out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT880 has a similar bright and fast signature like the RS-1, but it's more balanced overall. Another important point about the DT880 (I have the 2003 model) is that its character changes depending on your amp. Grados aren't as amp-sensitive as the DT880. I'm not saying it's bad (it's a great headphone), but you might want to look up impressions of the DT880 from owners who have your amp. They'll give you the most accurate representation. The DT880 will rock, but not quite like Grados will.

What complicates things a little is that the DT880 really pairs well with the amp I currently own. The Darkvoice 336SE is a nice tube amp that adds some warmth to the neutrality of the DT880s and many people stand by it. Also, the DT880/600 ohm version would be faster and have more bass extension than the 250 ohm version. I'm almost tempted to buy both cans, but must resist....

I'll wait for more impressions from other members, but it looks like the HF-2 right now.

Oh yea, what is this business with the flats and the bowls? From what I've been reading there are a decent amount of people in both camps for the HF-2. From my understanding, bowls make the soundstage larger at the cost of bass, and visa versa. Any thoughts about anything I should add to an order of the HF-2's - it seems that the HF-2 is a pretty lean package?

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #9 of 39
I would also say HF-2 for many of the reasons above. I don't think that the hf-2 will sound anything like the HP1 or HP2, and it doesn't according to anyone who has heard them thus far. I am not sure why someone would simply say that without having heard the HF-2, but anyway. Grados destroy beyers for rock, though the beyers are not bad cans.

As far as the flats/bowls situation, I would say that you should just keep the bowls for a while. There are enough things to mod with the bowls to keep you happy experimenting. If you want a taste of the flats, you can always get the hd414 pads for $20 less than the real flats from ttvj.

IMO, you do gain soundstage and lose bass from bowls over flats, but you also gain a lot of refinement and detail, which is important. I think that the flats muddy up the cans too much, at least with my RS-1. You lose soundstage, detail, refinement, and you just gain bass. Try the cans stock and experiment from there.

Oct 10, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #11 of 39
Besides Uncle Erik's comparison, anyone with significant listening time with the DT880 (250 v 600 ohm) and HF-2 can comment on the nuances--strengths, weaknesses, synergy with SS / tube amps, genres (hip hop, trance, jazz, classical)?

Oct 10, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 39
You will be quite satisfied with the HF-2 - congratulations on your purchase!

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfourc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a pair of headphones to complement my HD650s + Darkvoice 336SE tube amp for rock and electronic/dance music. I'm not a basshead, but I would like a decent amount of bass - the DT880 is probably good enough for me. I was going to get the DT880 (600 ohms), but after going through the Grado HF-2 threads, I'm wondering if I should get the HF-2 instead.

Could someone who has heard both of these cans (not necessarily the 600 ohm version of the DT880) give me their thoughts about which would be better suited for me? I want something with less of a rolled off high end like my HD650s, but without sacrificing too much bass (a big reason why I've stayed away from Grados). Does the HF-2 have comparable bass to the DT880s, and is it $150 better than the DT880s for my purposes?

I am also open to other suggestions for headphones.

I currently own the RS1 and DT880 and both are amazing cans. But as far as a compliment to your HD650s (I own these ones too), I would actually go with the RS1 (not HF-2).

To my ears these are the best rock headphones out there and I do prefer these classics to the HF-2.

But the Beyer's are excellent too so there is no wrong decision, just a better one (RS1s all the way).

Oct 11, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #14 of 39
MacedonianHero, you are the Acix of the RS1.
normal_smile .gif
(I mean that in a good way - every topnotch headphone needs its champion.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back