Beyer DT880 Information
Aug 19, 2010 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ffdpmaggot

100+ Head-Fier
Based on what I've heard so far, I'm looking into purchasing a pair of beyer DT880. Could someone tell me how they sound please? I'm under the impression that they will have a relatively neutral sound, with a smaller sound stage and good reproduction of the recordings. My concern however, is an amp, would these sound okay without an amp? If they wouldn't, which amp would you recommend I use?

Aug 19, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 11
They do have a relatively neutral sound. Excellent sound stage too. They come in 80 ohm, 250 ohm, and 600 ohm versions. A lot of people recommend the 600 ohm version even though they cost more. I have only used the 250 ohm ones, and have enjoyed them a lot.

You will need an amp to get the most out of them. As to what amp to get, that depends on your budget and whether you want a portable or desktop amp. And whether you already have a nice DAC / soundcard to begin with.

Aug 19, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 11
Aug 30, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 11
if you don't have an amp, you can buy the 32ohm model. 

heres what headroom says about them.

Germany's Beyerdynamic offered up a real contender for world's very best headphone with the DT880. This very efficient 32-Ohm low-impedance edition is better suited for use without a headphone amp and from low-power mobile/portable audio sources like iPods and laptop computers. Choose the standard 'high-impedance' Beyerdynamic DT880 250-Ohm model  or -- better yet -- the DT880 600-Ohm model for truly perfect pairing with any quality headphone amp stage for a completely quiet background noise floor and maximized musical detail resolution. Although the DT-880 headphones are ever-so-slightly more 'forward-sounding' than what we can call perfectly "neutral", the DT880 serves up a wonderfully engaging reference headphone listening experience. Expect absolutely TONS of timbral texture clarity, crisply-rendered musical detail throughout all frequency ranges, and a very precise, deeply layered soundstage image with (thankfully) not a harsh note to be found. The DT880's mids and upper bass also hold together very well, so overall a seamless and smooth-sounding tonal presentation.

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 11
The soundstage part is wrong. They have excellent soundstage. I really recommend the 600ohm version and an amp for maximum enjoyment.

Quote:
Based on what I've heard so far, I'm looking into purchasing a pair of beyer DT880. Could someone tell me how they sound please? I'm under the impression that they will have a relatively neutral sound, with a smaller sound stage and good reproduction of the recordings. My concern however, is an amp, would these sound okay without an amp? If they wouldn't, which amp would you recommend I use?

Aug 30, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 11
The 32 ohm sounds fine without an amp though they do benefit greatly from one (as Yoga Flame has mentioned). 

I heard the DT880s are excellent paired with tube amps - can't wait to try mine with the CTH. Anyway, do read up on them on this site (tons of information on the DT880). I personally think they tend more towards the higher side of the sound spectrum (excellent mids and highs). They bass is rather "polite" which IMO really gives the DT880 a rather pleasant listening experience (if you're a basshead, I don't think the DT880 is for you). Cheers. 

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 11
how do the DT880 compare to the ATH AD700 and the Senn HD595? Both models cost less, and I've heard fewer complaints about sibilance for those phones, plus, I would have more money left over to spend on a DAC

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #8 of 11
The DT880 is brighter than the HD595. The soundstage is bigger and bass goes deeper too.

Quote:
how do the DT880 compare to the ATH AD700 and the Senn HD595? Both models cost less, and I've heard fewer complaints about sibilance for those phones, plus, I would have more money left over to spend on a DAC

Aug 30, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #9 of 11

Personally I don't like the HD595 (no matter how many times I tried it in the stores). I can't say much for the ATH AD700 though (never heard it) but from what I've read, it's pretty good value for money. Most reviews mention their comfort too. Anyway, sibilance can be an issue in the DT880s but i've read that an amp (again) can bring much improvement in this area (smoothening the sibilance) - can't say from experience though: the Fiio E7 didn't do much justice for my DT880s in terms of sibilance. Hoping the tube amp I just bought would improve this (alas less fatigue). 

Aug 30, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 11
They are very neutral, but the soundstage is huge.  They really like tube amps, because higher impedance cans really benefit from the large voltage swings that tubes can provide.

Quote:

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #11 of 11
Has anyone compared the sound of the DT880 32ohm to the other models? I bought the 32ohm models, then I bought a nice Gilmore Lite amp, and am wondering if its worth the trouble to try to switch them out for the 600 ohm models. the 32's give me the option of plugging into an ipod, but that's not how I actually use them.  Is the possible improvemnt in sound worth the loss of flexibility?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back