Beyer DT880 600 ohm opinions
Jun 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

tim3320070

Headphoneus Supremus
I edited this post due to the dumb heading I put up....never drink and post.

I have the D5000's which are fairly refined and detailed (less than the HD650 IMO), but totally engaging overall with the bass and impact.
I will be getting a Audio-gd Phoenix soon and have the Ref-1 DAC so my source and amp will be/are very revealing/ refined and fully balanced.
So I am looking for another headphone that is up to the task of this setup, revealing details but engaging too.
Does the DT880 (600 ohm) fit that bill in your opinion?
If not, what else (I can't afford the HD800's, or any other $1000+ HP BTW)?

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 71
the dt880 600ohm Manufaktur fits your bill. I think that they are the best and more balance headphone in its price range and a bit beyond. You wont go wrong!

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #3 of 71
The 600 ohm DT880s definitely fit your interests in a refined, detailed and engaging headphone. It has extended but smooth highs and good bass extension. Mids may be a bit recessed but are very liquid. Definitely my second favorite can behind my 650s.

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 71
Yep, you won't regret the 600ohm DT880's.

The only bad things IMO is the sibilance issue (however if this is the revealing aspect or not = debatable, see my 'Sibilance and blame' thread) and the slowness, thus not ideal for electronic music. Still does it well, but could be better with more speed.

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 71
The reason I went through two sets of Beyers (one was the 600ohm DT880) was because I just found them to be too detached. The 600ohm model, however was significantly more refined than the 250ohm '03 model I tried. And yea, they excel in detail. I found a nice balance between engaging and detailed in the Alessandro MS-Pro, ultimate modded per nickchens instructions.

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...the slowness, thus not ideal for electronic music. Still does it well, but could be better with more speed.

My 880/600 Manufaktur have been re-cabled and balanced by Larry at headphile, and I drive them with an amp specifically designed for 600 ohm balanced phones (QES Labs), SS with lots of power.

I find no speed issue at all. Maybe I don't know what to listen for -- suggest some recordings and I'll experiment carefully. Will also have at NJ meet.

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 880/600 Manufaktur have been re-cabled and balanced by Larry at headphile, and I drive them with an amp specifically designed for 600 ohm balanced phones (QES Labs), SS with lots of power.

I find no speed issue at all. Maybe I don't know what to listen for -- suggest some recordings and I'll experiment carefully. Will also have at NJ meet.

The amp also plays a part in the 'speed' factor.. I doubt it's your ears.. BUT, some members can recommend torture test to determine how well they handle complex musical passages..

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #8 of 71
Quote:

Yep, you won't regret the 600ohm DT880's.

The only bad things IMO is the sibilance issue (however if this is the revealing aspect or not = debatable, see my 'Sibilance and blame' thread) and the slowness, thus not ideal for electronic music. Still does it well, but could be better with more speed.

Sibilance? I can't hear even slightest hint of it, the highs are soooo smoothed out compared to 250Ohm counterpart.
To OP - that's the only Beyerdynamic to buy, everything else from this manufacturer is a disappointment.

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #9 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sibilance? I can't hear even slightest hint of it, the highs are soooo smoothed out compared to 250Ohm counterpart.
To OP - that's the only Beyerdynamic to buy, everything else from this manufacturer is a disappointment.

Yes, the 600 ohm version is less forward and with tamer highs than the 250 ohm version, reminding me of the HD600.

However, I cannot agree with your comment that everything else they make is a disappointment. For starters, I prefer the 250 ohm version
dt880smile.png
Secondly, the DT990 600 ohm is good too and preferable on some music. I don't believe it is as neutral as the DT880 but still fun to play.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #10 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anything with the Amen Break in it e.g. a lot of DnB music.
I'm also compare this to other headphones, speakers and IEMs

e.g. my M-Audio DX4's are faster than my DT880's.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #11 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh they are. I used to own the DT880 '03's before the 600ohms.
Smoothed out highs, more bass, not as recessed midrange.
Still doesn't eliminate the sibilance.
I got a Rockhopper M^3 SS amp with the default AD8610 opamps if that's anything to go by.

See my impressions here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...thread-429371/

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #12 of 71
Quote:

Oh they are. I used to own the DT880 '03's before the 600ohms.
Smoothed out highs, more bass, not as recessed midrange.
Still doesn't eliminate the sibilance.
I got a Rockhopper M^3 SS amp with the default AD8610 opamps if that's anything to go by.

See my impressions here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...thread-429371/

Can you please give example of the material you experience sibilance with, I just want to see if it's the source problem and how it sounds with other cans.

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #13 of 71
I'm borrowing a 250 880 atm and hope to seal the deal on a 600 ohm tomorrow.
I also have an ER4P so it could make for an interesting comparison.

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 71
The 600 ohm DT880 are terrific cans. I really like them. However, they have noticeably less bass weight than the Denon D5000, so if your expectation is that they will sound similar in the bass, they will not. That doesn't make them bad - the DT880/600 are TERRIFIC. But they have considerably less bass weight than the D5000.

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #15 of 71
I'm not sure what HP has the bass weight of the D5000. With some stuffing in the cups, that is reduced to a more natural level.

Anyone experience improvements with a recable? I can do the Moon Audio balanced Dragon cable (forgot which one) for about $450.

Skylab, interested in selling one of your Beyer's? I am in Chicago too and could pick them up.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back