Beyer DT770 Pro/ 80 Detachable cable MOD
Dec 24, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #151 of 315
Man, all these recommendations to use hot glue.
I've never seen the stuff hold well, especially for long term use. Well, except maybe googly eyes on felt or paper.
Use epoxy or E6000 if you can.
For blocking holes I imagine hot glue is fine but not for something that will see mechanical stress.

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #152 of 315
I'm new to head-fi (been lurking off and on for over a year) and a novice in terms of an audiophile. I really would like to upgrade my Monoprice 8323s with some DT 770's and attempt to do this mod. Here's my question, being someone who has never soldered anything in his life, what is the difficulty level approaching this mod?

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #153 of 315
soldering is not the most difficult part (fitting the socket properly is), but I'd strongly advise to try soldering on something else before (it can be even broken old toy/whatever else that has electronic elements). It may be worth checking out the youtube videos about soldering. It's really not difficult - especially if you are doing just cables and not some sensitive elements.

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #154 of 315
Coming from someone who has soldered crazy small components, this is a 2/10. Not hard, just don't hold the iron on the wire for longer than needed. The drivers can get damaged. You can do it :) Just practice with the iron on spare wire first. Cut them and solder them back together. The go get it!

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #155 of 315
  soldering is not the most difficult part (fitting the socket properly is), but I'd strongly advise to try soldering on something else before (it can be even broken old toy/whatever else that has electronic elements). It may be worth checking out the youtube videos about soldering. It's really not difficult - especially if you are doing just cables and not some sensitive elements.

I'm not too afraid of tackling the fit of the 3.5mm jack. At my job I install all the locks/hinges on industrial doors. I've had to fix a couple of things before after realizing the cnc didn't make certain holes big enough...or even make any holes at all. Plus I have a dremel, so it shouldn't be too difficult. It's only 200 dollar set of cans...no big deal right?

Am I sweating? I feel like I'm sweating. Anyways thanks for the suggestion, I just may crack open a ps3 controller and attempt a led mod to practice soldering. I look forward to all of this DIY audio, cables, amps. Another expensive hobby.

Cheers.

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #160 of 315
Just for a bit of an experiment I have given the T70 the balanced detachable treatment. Turns out the theory is basically the same. There is slightly more room for the XLR socket in them as they don't have the circular plastic ring that holds the damping that the DT770s have but the headband is trickier to pull apart as it has tiny plastic clips hidden away inside to release the ends.

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #162 of 315
I am thinking about doing this to my DT770s but I have a few questions im hoping you guys can answer:
(1) Is it better to do a mini xlr or a 3.5mm or does it matter for SQ?
(2) What is the point of a balanced cabling, is it better and is it hard to do... Is it worth it?
(3) if I do a 3.5mm does this work:

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #163 of 315
I am thinking about doing this to my DT770s but I have a few questions im hoping you guys can answer:
(2) What is the point of a balanced cabling, is it better and is it hard to do... Is it worth it?
(3) if I do a 3.5mm does this work or is there something that will give me better SQ? 3.5mm Stereo Panel Mount Jack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ML4A2Q/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Oqe4ub0231W16
(4) What wire do I use to connect the chassis to the headphone? Recommendations?
(5) what do I use to fill the hole? Is epoxy okay? Or is there better?

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #164 of 315
(3) if I do a 3.5mm does this work or is there something that will give me better SQ? 3.5mm Stereo Panel Mount Jack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ML4A2Q/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Oqe4ub0231W16
(4) What wire do I use to connect the chassis to the headphone? Recommendations?
(5) what do I use to fill the hole? Is epoxy okay? Or is there better?

1 ) mini XLR in more secure and better for balanced but harder to fit
2) Balanced cabling keeps the left and right channels completely separate which gives better stereo imaging and does seem to improve the SQ a little
3) Should be alright but someone on here may have more experience of the 3.5mm sockets
4) There are loads of options and it is probably worth checking out the DIY cable threads for opinions but good quality copper should do the trick without colouring the sound - a lot of people like silver plated copper as it seem to brighten the headphones slightly 
5) Epoxy is good

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #165 of 315
Thanks so much jfunk! Yeah I think I might go with a 3.5 mm, it seems too much work to do a balanced xlr (unless it's REALLY worth it haha) and mini xlr cables are hard to come by unless you make them yourself. Also like you said 3.5 mm is easier to fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back