Beyer DT770 Pro/ 80 Detachable cable MOD
Dec 2, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #136 of 315
  I want a pair of HD650s pretty badly, I heard a pair at a meet and really enjoyed them. 

The only thing I will warn you about is soldering the drivers. I have never had it happen but some people have heated up the soldering points on the driver too much and the voice coil detaches, so just be careful.

They're so nice.  I will get another pair eventually, I loved them!

Thanks for the heads up, I just got the "ready for pickup".  I should be ok, if not then it'll be a hard lesson haha.

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #137 of 315
Did the mod with a leftover 3.5mm female jack. So much better liked his. Now when I get back from travel I'll make myself a nice cable for them! So far I'm really liking them

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #139 of 315
Tempted to try this DIY on my new dt 770s...
Just to make sure
So the materials for the headphones I need are:

a jack like this: http://www.radioshack.com/1-8-stereo-panel-mount-audio-jack-2-pack/2740249.html

some wire like the Mogami W2893 you mentioned to solder the jack to the drivers, and any 3.5mm male to male audio cable?

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #141 of 315
  Tempted to try this DIY on my new dt 770s...
Just to make sure
So the materials for the headphones I need are:

a jack like this: http://www.radioshack.com/1-8-stereo-panel-mount-audio-jack-2-pack/2740249.html

some wire like the Mogami W2893 you mentioned to solder the jack to the drivers, and any 3.5mm male to male audio cable?

I would try to find this kind, it lets the threads extend a little farther through the hole in the cups. Just search 3.5mm chassis on google.

If carbon grinds far enough down he can use the one he linked.  That's what I used.  Just make sure you use hot glue when you're all done to hold the female jack in, otherwise the plastic on the headphone may be too thin and break thru.  Hot glue makes it really really solid

Dec 3, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #142 of 315
Hmmm ok, if I'm able to find a 3.5mm chassis in stores somewhere I'll use it, but if all else fails I'll just buy the socket at radio shack. Does the cable I use to connect my source to my headphones matter too much?

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #143 of 315
I'm really considering doing this mod, but I have nothing I need to pull it off other then the headphones. Is it possible to do this mod without grinding off any of the edges to make room for the jack? Couldn't I just squeeze the jack through the square hole? I plan on using the same jack as OP. (http://www.radioshack.com/1-8-stereo-panel-mount-audio-jack-2-pack/2740249.html#q=3.5mm%2Bjack&start=7)

OP (Or anyone using a 3.5mm jack), I'd really like to see what the hole looks like without the screw blocking it off so I can get a good reference to how much I'd have to file off.

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #144 of 315
   Does the cable I use to connect my source to my headphones matter too much?

Always remember that your sound is only as good as your weakest link!

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #145 of 315
  I'm really considering doing this mod, but I have nothing I need to pull it off other then the headphones. Is it possible to do this mod without grinding off any of the edges to make room for the jack? Couldn't I just squeeze the jack through the square hole? I plan on using the same jack as OP. (http://www.radioshack.com/1-8-stereo-panel-mount-audio-jack-2-pack/2740249.html#q=3.5mm%2Bjack&start=7)

OP (Or anyone using a 3.5mm jack), I'd really like to see what the hole looks like without the screw blocking it off so I can get a good reference to how much I'd have to file off.

I tried just pushing it thru, it did work a little bit but didn't grab enough of the thread for me to feel comfortable with it.  You need to grind towards the cup (bottom looking at it from the opening.  The jack has to sit flush with the ridge in there.  You'll see when you pull it apart.

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #146 of 315

I tried just pushing it thru, it did work a little bit but didn't grab enough of the thread for me to feel comfortable with it.  You need to grind towards the cup (bottom looking at it from the opening.  The jack has to sit flush with the ridge in there.  You'll see when you pull it apart.

You talking about the ridge that holds up the driver? I decided to get this jack instead since it looked a lot easier to wire. Also, when you say it didn't grab enough thread, what do you mean by that? Dunno what thread is
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 4, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #148 of 315
  You talking about the ridge that holds up the driver? I decided to get this jack instead since it looked a lot easier to wire. Also, when you say it didn't grab enough thread, what do you mean by that? Dunno what thread is
confused_face_2.gif

Yup, that ridge.

Sorry.  It = the threading washer.  It didn't grab enough of the jack thread

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #149 of 315
After doing this mod, I've noticed that bass on my left driver is noticeably louder then my right. Anyone else have this problem or something similar? I'm using brand new 80ohm drivers. Maybe I wired something wrong?

Dec 23, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #150 of 315
  After doing this mod, I've noticed that bass on my left driver is noticeably louder then my right. Anyone else have this problem or something similar? I'm using brand new 80ohm drivers. Maybe I wired something wrong?

You may have left an air gap around the socket - that would act like a second bass port and increase the bass in that ear - just put hot glue or something all round the socket to block any holes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back