Beyer dt220, any fans?
Apr 22, 2010 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Punnisher

Headphoneus Supremus
Last year I bought a pair of dt220 (400ohm) and was so impressed that I decided to buy an identical pair from the same seller. These are from the 70s/80s so they are quite old.

Eventually I tried them with my tube amp and it was the biggest night/day difference I've ever experienced in terms of amplification. I was using a TI class D amp, or no amp at all and they sounded very good but a bit analytical.

With my millett SS, they transformed. A bit on the warm side and extremely musical. I've been listening to them exclusively for a while with my sacd player and tube amp. Listening to Steely Dan right now and couldn't be more pleased. The pads are very different from modern pads. They are made from rubber and filled with foam. The drivers are comparatively small compared to modern drivers. There is also a dense foam piece that surrounds the driver, which your ear rests on. This gives the bass a very punchy feel, just like Grados. It's a nice departure from my other headphones.

It's too bad these are so rare. Ebay searches rarely turn up anything and there's only bits of information online. If you see a pair for under $100, grab em. To say they compete with all my other headphones is an understatement.

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #3 of 8
They definitely have the beyerdynamic build quality that's for sure. Both pairs are in very good condition.

Next stop, dt48...

Was bidding on a pair but they sold for over $300. I got each dt220 for $75! Bet you can't beat that.

May 12, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 8
May 16, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm bumping this. They need more attention than this. I paid less for them than the inferior PortaPros I bought today!

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 8
LOL, just left a review here myself.

I have 4 pairs of these that I used in my commercial studio for a few years.

While the DT-100's are superior and now the industry standard I do find they can lead to ear fatigue after a while whereas the DT-220 are not as bad in that department, a bit more breathable on the ear imho, not as 'all' encompassing as the DT-100's.

The quality is pretty neutral to my ears which is exactly what any professional engineer needs, no colour, just what you recorded, no hyped bass etc.

Sorry Punisher but I'm afraid I beat you here. I bought 4 pairs of these for £37.50p English money. Works out around $55 a pair which in all honesty, is a total bargain for the quality but you're right, they are hard to get hold of which is why I bought all 4.

They also sell spare parts for these which is great to know.

Jul 13, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 8
If this thread is still alive. Just spotted these for anyone interested?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT220-Headphones-/262521494210?hash=item3d1f801ac2:g:i94AAOSw2zlXhUk3

Can't imagine they'll hang around long at this price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back