Beyer DT1350 vs. Senn HD25-1 II
May 1, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #17 of 28
I've spent a bit of time with both today.  I think the "comfort" nod (and I use the term comfort loosely) goes to the HD25's by a nose.  Even so, I plan to keep the 1350's and sell my HD25's for now, based on a more detailed yet less fatiguing sound, and an ever so slightly more transportable package, as the beyer's fold flat and have a cool little case.  I may grab another pair of HD25's sometime, as they are a real incognito phone.

May 2, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #18 of 28

Quote:
I've spent a bit of time with both today.  I think the "comfort" nod (and I use the term comfort loosely) goes to the HD25's by a nose.  Even so, I plan to keep the 1350's and sell my HD25's for now, based on a more detailed yet less fatiguing sound, and an ever so slightly more transportable package, as the beyer's fold flat and have a cool little case.  I may grab another pair of HD25's sometime, as they are a real incognito phone.

I'm with you on the comfort element going to the the HDs by a slight edge - slightly larger cup and possibly less clamp power, but time may prove helpful to the 1350. I must admit though, I kinda like the clamp, except the sweaty ear thing on warm days.

The Hum Method - heard about it over on the "New Beyer DT1350" page. Essentially you hum and when you find the sweet spot on your ear the hum inside your head will be loadest. Seems to work, but maybe I'm lucky and have fortunate shaped ears because finding the right spot wasn't a problem. In order to get the sound to drop off for my ears the cans are noticeably uncomfortable. The blessing of having funnels for ears.

May 3, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #19 of 28
Rats. If it's that neck and neck / debatable I'm going to have to stay away. A couple of hours with even a fairly 'mature' HD25-1, I feel like someone's hittingme on my ears with a hammer. I guess I'll have to stick with in-ears....

May 3, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #20 of 28

Quote:
Rats. If it's that neck and neck / debatable I'm going to have to stay away. A couple of hours with even a fairly 'mature' HD25-1, I feel like someone's hittingme on my ears with a hammer. I guess I'll have to stick with in-ears....

I think a couple of hours is a good limit.  It works for me, I never get to listen uninterrupted for longer than that anyway.  Compared to say my departed Denon's, neither the HD25 or the DT1350 are particularly comfortable, merely tolerable.  Barely.  I did sell my HD25's to the guy 2 offices down.  I really like the sound of the DT1350's.  They are a nice compliment to my 1964 ears quads.  More detail than the quads, a bit less bass, equally non fatiguing.  So far, so good.

May 4, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #21 of 28
Well... yes, they were always my commuters, but I have been in situations where I've needed them for extended periods (waiting around in high-noise areas, etc) ad it's not a good thing for me to view that with dread. WHen I wore the HD25-1 for a >4 hour stretch once, I had a headache for a week and couldn't wear any other phones.

Having said that, it's probably pretty inevitable that any phone I'm interested in, I'll end up getting anyway so this might be redundant conjecture. I was just hoping for better news on the comfort front.

May 22, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #23 of 28
From Jude's review on Head-Fi TV he said that the DT1350 shows benefits from an amp. So I would go with yes when pairing it with a portable.

Quote:
Sorry to revive an old thread but do you think the DT1350 would benefit from an amp when being driven from a portable?

May 22, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #24 of 28

Quote:
Sorry to revive an old thread but do you think the DT1350 would benefit from an amp when being driven from a portable?

I prefer them amped over straight out of the ipod touch 4G.  The difference is not that much, though.  A bit better control and clarity.  I haven't been able to pull my amp out of my portable set up though.  It isn't very big, and I always listen at a desk or something, and it does sound a bit better.  So... required? No, not at all.  Desired? Yes, it does help a bit.

May 23, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #25 of 28
I'm in agreement as well. The DT are enjoyable without an amp, but my preference is with due to the added "meat not the bones". I find myself utilizing very limited amounts of added volume off the amp, maybe a quarter turn, but compared back to back I'd opt for amped.

May 23, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #26 of 28
More detailed and less fatiguing?  That's definitely rare! 
beyersmile.png

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #27 of 28
The comparisson was nice to read. and its very comforting to see that you are happy with both. 

The HD25 has been my portable of choice since a while now and I dont find them to be fatiguing. the DT1350 are in the way, hopefully It be a different kind of good.

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #28 of 28
Nice review, glad I found it.

Just one thing: thEn for sequEnce, thAn for compArison.... really made me want to punch my monitor every time you used then... but I'm an English major. :wink:  

Still, I'm going to get the 1350 to replace my HD-25s. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back