Beyer DT 770 Pro or Beyer DT 990 Pro ?
Nov 3, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #31 of 54
Thanks buddy, I forgot to mention a big thank you to both you and Mad Lust Envy for giving me a nudge in this direction as it's just about exactly what I've been looking for. Months of back and forth research only to end up right back where I started but the result of which was that with your help I nailed it first time. And for that I give thanks to anyone who's given their help and opinions. Don't worry I'm not leaving, like I have an audience lol, I just wanted to say thank you to everybody that's helped me in some way.

I probably won't be posting for a few weeks now but I'll be back for sure with an update once these phones are given the proper rocket fuel they really need.
wink.gif

See you soon guys, and head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #32 of 54
Where do you get the gel pads and are they as comfortable as the velour?

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #33 of 54
Quote:
Where do you get the gel pads and are they as comfortable as the velour?

Here you go. I've had no personal experience with them so I can't say for sure but here are some good resources.

Quote:
Here's a link for a seller http://www.headphonesolutions.com/begelearsefo.html
You can probably find them cheaper by doing a little bit of perusing on the internets.

The link for the changes in sound quality are here, I believe:http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/266192/beyerdynamic-manufaktur-s-gooey-gel-ear-seals-770-880-990

Nov 4, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #34 of 54
Glad you like them Thommohawk

Yeah those soft Beyer earpads rock
L3000.gif

and

Yeah clear drums (and yes in particular hi-hats) are beautiful.

Aug 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #38 of 54
Unless your doors are open and it is dead quiet, your roommate shouldn't hear your DT990s. If he's in the same room, yes. Different room, no. Even if he can hear it, will be a very low background noise. Just having a fan on would cancel the noise out.

People exaggerate how much open headphones leak.

Open headphones won't be a problem for anyone unless they are in the same room, and are trying to sleep or something.

Aug 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #40 of 54
There's a difference between being able to hear it, and being able to hear it to the point that it's distracting. I'd say keyboard strokes are louder than the 990's.

Aug 21, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #41 of 54
Quote:
There's a difference between being able to hear it, and being able to hear it to the point that it's distracting. I'd say keyboard strokes are louder than the 990's.

You said it.

The DT 990's can go loud enough I can't hear anything else but, at normal (for me) listening levels, my buckling spring keyboard is much louder.

Sep 8, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #42 of 54
Years after the last post on this thread :)

I am also interested in the DT 990 Pro though I would be using them mainly for gaming, virtual surround gaming that is. From what I gathered they offer plenty of bass due to their V-shaped sound and which helps for getting better immersed in the whole sensation and because they are open back they offer a perfect soundstage to game with.

The problem however is the following:

The leak test is simple and in fact very revealing. That amount of leak only at 75 / 80% of the ipod touch 5 is way too much. For sure I will not be able to use it when I actually game when others watch tv here at night or if they go to bed (open apartment) certainly because I game on much higher volumes than that

MLE's Gaming Headphone Guide, as usefull as it is, isn't really comparing headphones against each other and so I can't really find one similar to the DT 990 Pro that is closed back. I fear I may have to stop that search as the soundstage most probably, what seems to be key on the DT 990 Pro, won't be offered by any closed back one

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #43 of 54
  Years after the last post on this thread :)

I am also interested in the DT 990 Pro though I would be using them mainly for gaming, virtual surround gaming that is. From what I gathered they offer plenty of bass due to their V-shaped sound and which helps for getting better immersed in the whole sensation and because they are open back they offer a perfect soundstage to game with.

The problem however is the following:

The leak test is simple and in fact very revealing. That amount of leak only at 75 / 80% of the ipod touch 5 is way too much. For sure I will not be able to use it when I actually game when others watch tv here at night or if they go to bed (open apartment) certainly because I game on much higher volumes than that

MLE's Gaming Headphone Guide, as usefull as it is, isn't really comparing headphones against each other and so I can't really find one similar to the DT 990 Pro that is closed back. I fear I may have to stop that search as the soundstage most probably, what seems to be key on the DT 990 Pro, won't be offered by any closed back one

If you want that kind of soundstage with a closed headphone, you are best off with a planar model. That may push you to a higher price price though.

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #45 of 54
Sorry, I wanted to do this before but a busy schedule made me forget about this. I already own the DT990's Pro and just to be sure I bought the Fiio E12 which also comes in handy to use on my smartphone.

For anyone who is wondering, yes, the difference is huge in gaming At the moment I only use them with Razer Surround so I expect an improvement once I go to SBX because I really experience that as the best in virtual positioning audio.
Now, about the sound leaking. Unfortunately it does leak as it does on the video. I won't be able to use them all the time at the moment. I am looking into buying a new desktop PC and will see if moving back to another room can solve this.
One last thing though. My head is actually quite narrow and this model does actually clamp quite substantially. It might become uncomfortable for those with more wide heads.
In sound quality the game experience is night and day. I am very happy I passed on the idea of buying a gaming headset and followed the advice I was given here. The difference is really that huge and I can only say to try it. I bought it at Bol.com just to be able to return it if I would not like it. The fact is, I like it that much that I can't find the heart to return it although it leaks sound seriously much

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back