BEST VALUE ''around 100-300$'' CHIFI & NEWCOMERS IEM with REFERENCE List (no BIG brands here)
Jun 23, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #451 of 592
Hi everyone, first time poster here, so be nice :wink:

Based on the reviews from this thread I got the Tri I3 and paired it with the Meizu DAC Pro Dongle. Thank you for this tip, I am very impressed by them. The sound is awesome, better than any other IEM I have owned. Details and separation are two things that stand out for me.

After the first purchase was such a smashing success, I am curious where to I can move on from the point I am at. Since the Tri I3 are described as having a relaxed signature I was wondering how an IEM with the same (or better) level of technicalities but a more energetic tuning sounds like. Is there such a thing in the range up to 300$? Two suggestions from this thread I am looking at would be the Isn H40 or the LZ A6. Are these a possible way to go?

Also, while by no means uncomfortable I would prefer something with a smaller shell. Another point where improvement seems possible is the driveability. The I3 only starts to show it's full potential at rather high volumes. I would prefer to listen to my music at a lower level.

Thanks everyone for the tips so far, this is a great forum!

I also have the TRI I3 and it is one of my favourite sets, does better with amping (not necessarily louder volume, as the planars need some juice to wake up).

For a different sound signature, you can consider the Audiosense T800. It is a 8 Knowles BA set that has better technicalities (imaging, instrument separation, details, clarity) than the TRI I3. The sound is more U shaped, more fun sounding and energetic and is brighter than the TRI I3, so not the best if u are treble sensitive. Soundstage T800 has better width than TRI I3, but the TRI I3 has better depth/height. Timbre and tonality is slightly better on TRI I3 too.
T800 is much easier to drive too, but it is better to pair sources with as low output impedance as possible with the T800 as it is sounds better with such stuff. It has a smaller shell than TRI I3, but not by much.

I've read good things about the ISN H40 and LZ A6 but haven't tried those.

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #452 of 592

Based on the reviews from this thread I got the Tri I3 and paired it with the Meizu DAC Pro Dongle. Thank you for this tip, I am very impressed by them. The sound is awesome, better than any other IEM I have owned. Details and separation are two things that stand out for me.

After the first purchase was such a smashing success, I am curious where to I can move on from the point I am at. Since the Tri I3 are described as having a relaxed signature I was wondering how an IEM with the same (or better) level of technicalities but a more energetic tuning sounds like. Is there such a thing in the range up to 300$? Two suggestions from this thread I am looking at would be the Isn H40 or the LZ A6. Are these a possible way to go?

Also, while by no means uncomfortable I would prefer something with a smaller shell. Another point where improvement seems possible is the driveability. The I3 only starts to show it's full potential at rather high volumes. I would prefer to listen to my music at a lower level.

Another option might be the Drop X JVC FDX1. I've owned it for a few months and am still surprised at times by its level of detail. It's still rather neutral, but in the Harman sense of the word, and a tad bright. It can be intense at times, but not overly so. I personally think it's a steal for $250.

Jun 23, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #453 of 592

I own both i3 and H40, the H40 are even more relaxed than the i3, less fatiguing for long listening periods. Also own the Ikko OH10, this are more energetic, as you said, but V shaped. IMO the OH10 are a good complement to the i3 and H40.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #454 of 592

I haven't heard the I3, but the LZ A6 is indeed an energetic set, with great detail. The drawback for you is they do not have small shells - they're rather large.

The previous recommendation of the JVC HA-FDX1 is a good one. I would say it's a tad less lively (i.e. smoother) than the A6, but the detail level & tonality is truly amazing for the prize range. They have three tuning filters, and the earpieces have rotating nozzles so you can wear them cable up and down without having to switch channels. As previously mentioned, they are a bit bright, but the bass extension is very good. Well worth a look.

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #456 of 592
Thanks for all the suggestions! Here's my update:
Due to the even more relaxed signature compared with the I3, I am able to cross out the ISN H40.
As for the IKKO OH10, I have heard that they are very heavy. I would prefer a lighter IEM this time.
Part of my intrigue in these headphones are the exotic setups, so I'd like to keep my fingers of the single driver IEMs for now, although the FDX1 sounds like a whole package.
I find the Audiosense T800 really intriguing, because they should tick most of my boxes, but I never had an all BA set and they're on the top end of my price range. Also they have resin shells, so I don't think they're as heavy.

So for now I am torn between LZ A6 and T800, unless there emerges a new competitor. Mangird Tea or BQEYZSpring 2 anyone? :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #457 of 592
Due to the even more relaxed signature compared with the I3, I am able to cross out the ISN H40.
As for the IKKO OH10, I have heard that they are very heavy. I would prefer a lighter IEM this time.
Part of my intrigue in these headphones are the exotic setups, so I'd like to keep my fingers of the single driver IEMs for now, although the FDX1 sounds like a whole package.
I find the Audiosense T800 really intriguing, because they should tick most of my boxes, but I never had an all BA set and they're on the top end of my price range. Also they have resin shells, so I don't think they're as heavy.

So for now I am torn between LZ A6 and T800, unless there emerges a new competitor. Mangird Tea anyone? :wink:

You should look into NF Audio NM2.

Jun 25, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #458 of 592

So for now I am torn between LZ A6 and T800, unless there emerges a new competitor. Mangird Tea or BQEYZSpring 2 anyone? :wink:

Not sure how you get conclusion that H40 is more relaxed than i3,

For me the H40 is sounded bigger, larger soundstage with its dynamics, definitely more fun with more treble extension and details.
H40 strengths are dynamics, weighty notes and large soundstage and very coherence.
To be honest i like H40 slightly more despite i lovee my i3.
If you wanna try, i post about simple mod i3 on Tri thread with grill mods, open up the trebles, more detailed texture but you may want to put little cut of micropore tape on nozzle to tame down 3khz pinna gain.

The A6 is famous for details, but the upper mids is boosted. I never own the big A6 myself, but i have the A6 mini.

About Spring 2, we'll see them soon, mine is on the ship

Jun 26, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #459 of 592

For me the H40 is sounded bigger, larger soundstage with its dynamics, definitely more fun with more treble extension and details.
H40 strengths are dynamics, weighty notes and large soundstage and very coherence.
If you wanna try, i post about simple mod i3 on Tri thread with grill mods, open up the trebles, more detailed texture but you may want to put little cut of micropore tape on nozzle to tame down 3khz pinna gain.

The A6 is famous for details, but the upper mids is boosted. I never own the big A6 myself, but i have the A6 mini.

That's interesting, @Davidibiza mentioned that the H40 sounds more relaxed a couple posts above as a reaction to my initial question. I might have to put them back on the list :)
Mod sounds interesting, a little more treble might go a long way towards the excitement I am looking for... Also, please post about the Spring 2 once you get them!

To put it in clearer terms, what I am looking for is a more V shaped Tri I3 with the same or better details and resolution. The I3 is great for the more 'natural' genres, where actual instruments are used. For instance I love the plasticity it gives to drum sounds. On the other hand, I feel like it lacks the last bit of excitement for hip hop and more euphoric electronic stuff...

Jun 26, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #460 of 592

I recorded a short sample today for some of my own friends. You can check it out. Maybe you have any song request I might be able to record if you're interested in my probably not so accurate recordings.
I actually preffer by a big margin my LZ A6 with modded black filters, way more cleaner sounding and has a noticeable bigger stage than T800.

Attachments

• LZ A6 vs T800.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
Jun 26, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #461 of 592

Actually, depending on the filter you use with the A6. The female vocals arent very boosted but more in line with the male vocals (pink filter). Although most of them have quite a lot of boosted upper mids and the entire treble range lol.

Jun 26, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #462 of 592
Not sure how you get conclusion that H40 is more relaxed than i
Hi. I told him. I could be wrong of course but I own both and my preference is the H40 over the i3 for long sessions, Imo i3 is a bit more aggressive in treble whereas the H40 is smoother in every aspect. Then again the choice of tips could change that but I try to use tips that respect the original tuning. Just my humble inexperienced opinion.

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #463 of 592
So I grabbed a couple of cheaper IEMs just because I love single-DD IEMs and I gotta say, I am pretty damn impressed with the BLON BL-03. I even don't mind the fit! I think the KB-EAR Diamond might be a more technically impressive IEM in the bass area but the mid & treble tuning is more natural on the BL-03.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089Y5LC9R/?tag=headfi-20
I though I'd link these as this thread was started long enough ago, basically same price range. 60 the new 100 easy for iems. FD1 not a hard sell (already sold out) 10mm dynamic looks like its made from guitar pick again like fh1s. Would love the see comparison with blon3 and or tin hifi units.

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #464 of 592
That's interesting, @Davidibiza mentioned that the H40 sounds more relaxed a couple posts above as a reaction to my initial question. I might have to put them back on the list :)
Mod sounds interesting, a little more treble might go a long way towards the excitement I am looking for... Also, please post about the Spring 2 once you get them!

To put it in clearer terms, what I am looking for is a more V shaped Tri I3 with the same or better details and resolution. The I3 is great for the more 'natural' genres, where actual instruments are used. For instance I love the plasticity it gives to drum sounds. On the other hand, I feel like it lacks the last bit of excitement for hip hop and more euphoric electronic stuff...
Hi. I told him. I could be wrong of course but I own both and my preference is the H40 over the i3 for long sessions, Imo i3 is a bit more aggressive in treble whereas the H40 is smoother in every aspect. Then again the choice of tips could change that but I try to use tips that respect the original tuning. Just my humble inexperienced opinion.

I think i get it, actually trebles on i3 is more rolled off, hence they sounded more relaxed in treble region.
But like i said i3 have 3khz pinna gain and can be sounded harsher on that frequency only
That explain why H40, albeit more boosted on sub bass and trebles sounded smoother overall

Jun 29, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #465 of 592
H40 is like whole complete package with no major flaws at all, no major cons, tuning is very good
H40_GRAPH.png
Im very sensitive to 3khz, but they are safe, balanced with boosted bass. Balance lover with a bit basshead soul will love the tuning. Slamming sub bass and punchy mid bass when they are called, but keep mids clearly clear. Not particularly fast decay, but they are very clean and well controlled. A bit north of my preference actually for bass quantity but I can love the overall signature. Texture of the bass is nice. Mids are forwarded, but not overdo, high mids are safe but very clear. trebles also smooth. technicalities are very great. Soundstage is the widest among of all my collection with CP360 / CP145 after 120hours, only A6 / A6mini can compete but maybe H40 slightly wider. Slightly wider than my Sony IER M7 (but M7 have much better depth and layering of course). They sounded big and dynamic with that soundstage. Easy to drive and a bit sensitive so careful with sources but they never sounded bad with any sources.
I can't find any weakness on H40 except for a little hot protrude shell on my ears after long session.

On other side the i3 is great for their mids. That planar mids give so much details, but presented in very smooth way. throw any recording be it good or bad, they will rendered in smooth way. Very relaxed yet details, more towards studio monitoring with touch of fun in boosted sub bass and 8khz by little bit. Great for mid lover. Technicalities also great. wide soundstage with good depth and imaging but not as wide as H40. Despite their big and thick shell, they are more comfortable than H40 for me even they are heavier (full metal shell).
Clarity is very good too, but the H40 is more clear and dynamic, overall more fun. But i3 more smooth and have crazy smooth detail mids.

So to sum up, H40 is great all arounder IEM with great resolution in a complete package without major weakness, but i3 is no slouch too with their speciality, smooth, fast yet very detailed mids. They can be complement to each other. I'm going to write full review for both later.

and to add on, these 2 are definitely a step above NX7 pro, spring 1, T4, kanas pro/KXXS/starfield, A6 mini, tfz no 3 level. there is a user prefer H40 over ikko OH10, some prefer H40 over A6, that must be quite something right. Im not selling anything here as always, bought my H40 with my own money at full price.
I think you will love them, sounded like grandfather of BLON BL-03, have similar tuning, similar to sony N3 or Z5 too, but of course compared to BLON they are much more mature, more resolution, more separation, much wider soundstage, an upgrade in every departments.

20200225_121238_HDR.jpg

I really like your detailed write up. Don't mind me asking, between H40 and I3, which would be more recommended if I liked the Starfield but I wanted more controlled/less boomy bass with the same amount of impact/strength, same or more amount of detail, slightly more sparkle, but as non-sibilant as the Starfrield?

What I'd term is as the "ideal" sound for me is actually a cross between the Tin P1 + the Starfield. I listen to a lot of mix of genre, acoustic, intrumentals (piano, classical guitar, jazz) but I also want to enjoy my EDM/electronic music.

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back