BEST VALUE ''around 100-300$'' CHIFI & NEWCOMERS IEM with REFERENCE List (no BIG brands here)
Jun 7, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #557 of 592
Is the IEM with the most beautiful and natural timbre still Tanchjim Oxygen?

53950C0A-5351-43D0-898C-3BA6FE4499E2.jpeg

For me, Oriolus Isabellae

Jun 7, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #558 of 592

For me, Oriolus Isabellae
At more than 2x the price, it better be. You're comparing a sub $300 single DD to a $600+ one.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #560 of 592
Yeah tell me something I don’t know. Dunu Zen is about same price as Isabellae and its timbre was worse than 3DT and Oxygen.
Fair, but why recommend a $660 IEM in the "$100-300" thread? That was more my point.

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #562 of 592
Sep 3, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #564 of 592
Hello, I have been watching this thread here and there, and several other iem threads, came across the moondrop thread and decided to buy a pair of starfieds, I really love the sound, much better then any other iems I have owned, but I listen to a fairly varied musical library and realized they don't do mainstream rap and some electronic (like 21 savage, or dj shadow) as well as they do prog rock, jazz and underground hip hop (like rush, Sergio Méndez, madlib)

Can you guys recommend a few options that are on a similar price point and similar level but with harder hitting sub bass (I prefer a dryer bass, with decent high treble and the mids not too far back)
Of course cheaper is also welcomed, I tried asking in the moondrop thread but got ignored so though I would try a couple other threads.

Thanks in advance

Been thinking on tfz or possibly ibasso but there are too many options.

Sep 3, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #565 of 592
Hello, I have been watching this thread here and there, and several other iem threads, came across the moondrop thread and decided to buy a pair of starfieds, I really love the sound, much better then any other iems I have owned, but I listen to a fairly varied musical library and realized they don't do mainstream rap and some electronic (like 21 savage, or dj shadow) as well as they do prog rock, jazz and underground hip hop (like rush, Sergio Méndez, madlib)

Can you guys recommend a few options that are on a similar price point and similar level but with harder hitting sub bass (I prefer a dryer bass, with decent high treble and the mids not too far back)
Of course cheaper is also welcomed, I tried asking in the moondrop thread but got ignored so though I would try a couple other threads.

Thanks in advance

Been thinking on tfz or possibly ibasso but there are too many options.

U can read about the iBasso IT00. It has big subbass, U shaped set.

Though it has bad driver flex, so that's one area to take note.

Sep 3, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #566 of 592
U can read about the iBasso IT00. It has big subbass, U shaped set.

Though it has bad driver flex, so that's one area to take note.
Thanks alot, I have been watching them locally, would you say they are better then tfz no 3 or fiio FD3?
I appreciate the help

Sep 3, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #567 of 592
Thanks alot, I have been watching them locally, would you say they are better then tfz no 3 or fiio FD3?
I appreciate the help

I haven't tried the Fiio FD3, but I had the TFZ No. 3. I sold the No. 3 off after I had the IT00, here's why:

- The TFZ No. 3 is more V shaped and gets shouty in the upper mids with louder volumes. The No. 3 is a bona fide basshead IEM and has more bass quantity and extension than the iBasso IT00, but the No. 3’s bass is pretty bloated and uncontrolled when compared to the iBasso IT00’s faster and tighter bass.

- TFZ No. 3 has a poorer instrument timbre and thinner lower mids. TFZ No. 3 also has a more claustrophobic soundstage, with notes sounding quite compressed in the TFZ No. 3. Instrument separation and clarity are better on the iBasso IT00. Cymbals sound less natural and more splashy on the No. 3 compared to the iBasso IT00.

But if you are a diehard basshead, the TFZ No. 3 has bigger bass quantities and one of the best subass extension and rumble I've heard in an IEM. But it is kind of a one trick pony after a while, cause the bass is the only star in my book.

If u have to buy the No. 3, don't buy the original one which is around $100 USD. There is a variant called the TFZ No. 3 19th edition which has the same internals, but just a different shell, and it is frequently half the price of the original No. 3. I have asked a few manufacturers and they confirm the 19th edition is just a No. 3 with a different shell.

Sep 3, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #568 of 592
I haven't tried the Fiio FD3, but I had the TFZ No. 3. I sold the No. 3 off after I had the IT00, here's why:

- The TFZ No. 3 is more V shaped and gets shouty in the upper mids with louder volumes. The No. 3 is a bona fide basshead IEM and has more bass quantity and extension than the iBasso IT00, but the No. 3’s bass is pretty bloated and uncontrolled when compared to the iBasso IT00’s faster and tighter bass.

- TFZ No. 3 has a poorer instrument timbre and thinner lower mids. TFZ No. 3 also has a more claustrophobic soundstage, with notes sounding quite compressed in the TFZ No. 3. Instrument separation and clarity are better on the iBasso IT00. Cymbals sound less natural and more splashy on the No. 3 compared to the iBasso IT00.

But if you are a diehard basshead, the TFZ No. 3 has bigger bass quantities and one of the best subass extension and rumble I've heard in an IEM. But it is kind of a one trick pony after a while, cause the bass is the only star in my book.

If u have to buy the No. 3, don't buy the original one which is around $100 USD. There is a variant called the TFZ No. 3 19th edition which has the same internals, but just a different shell, and it is frequently half the price of the original No. 3. I have asked a few manufacturers and they confirm the 19th edition is just a No. 3 with a different shell.
Thanks, that's the exact one I was looking at, the it00 goes for almost double the price in my area, I don't love boomy bass, but when I was younger I had 2 jl audio 12 w7 and a couple amps pushing almost 4000 Watts, you could say I was a bass head, but then my musical taste has changed alot since then, like I mentioned earlier, I am really loving these starfield but would like something to compliment them for bass heavy tracks.

I have been watching the it01 and it00 locally in the used market, and they stay at a higher price then the tfz
Arount 20-30 dollars more so I am searching for the most info I can
As of now, I can grab the tfz no. 3 19th for 33 dollars, the it00 for 47 dollars and the it01 for 56 dollars

Sep 3, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #569 of 592
Thanks, that's the exact one I was looking at, the it00 goes for almost double the price in my area, I don't love boomy bass, but when I was younger I had 2 jl audio 12 w7 and a couple amps pushing almost 4000 Watts, you could say I was a bass head, but then my musical taste has changed alot since then, like I mentioned earlier, I am really loving these starfield but would like something to compliment them for bass heavy tracks.

I have been watching the it01 and it00 locally in the used market, and they stay at a higher price then the tfz
As of now, I can grab the tfz no. 3 19th for 33 dollars, the it00 for 47 dollars and the it01 for 56 dollars
IMO, the blon 03 with the mesh mod is better than both the IT00 and the no.3

Sep 3, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #570 of 592

Most of the budget sets seem to be more midbass focused than subbass focused.

This one is a YMMV situation, whether you like more subbass or midbass, probably also it depends on your music genres.

But if you can get the TFZ NO. 3 19th edition for $33, that's an excellent price. I remember buying my TFZ No. 3 (original version) at $120 USD 2 years ago.

IMO, the blon 03 with the mesh mod is better than both the IT00 and the no.3

The BLON BL-03 with mesh mod has good subbass?

The original BL-03 without mods had bad isolation so most of the subbass was lost, even after I tried many different eartips for their isolation properties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back