BEST VALUE ''around 100-300$'' CHIFI & NEWCOMERS IEM with REFERENCE List (no BIG brands here)
Dec 30, 2019 at 8:28 PM Post #361 of 592
I have the KB EAR Diamond and the Tin Audio T4 incoming, excited to see which one comes out ahead.

Look forward to your reviews!

I think they are tuned differently though. Which will suit different folks who want different sound signatures.
I don't have the T4 but I didn't get it as it looks neutralish/slightly bright with too much lack of bass for my tastes, so I gave it a miss. But I got a review unit of the KBEAR Diamond and it is quite U shaped/harmanish with boosted midbass (similar to the BLON BL-03) in quantity. Though it beats the BL-03 in technicals and timbre for sure.

Jan 15, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #366 of 592
So, in sub-300$ realm i have on hands:

Obravo Cupid (will not go on the list)
Akoustyx R-220 (will not go on the list)
Hifiman RE-600 (will not go on the list)

waiting for:
Dunu DK2001
Audiosense AQ3

Jan 15, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #367 of 592
for me, TRI i3 (classical, jazz, acoustic, house/electronic) or ISN H40 (rock, r&b/hip hop, Indie, rap)!

(EDIT, never mind i mistake with I4!)TRI I3(mean I4) was very very bad to my ears, but perhaps i get a defective pair. Sound artificial and boomy. Anyway, its now a sub-100$ iem...(yeah, and I3 look promising!)

ISN is an intriguing (and quite obscure for westerner) audio company.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #368 of 592
TRI I3 was very very bad to my ears, but perhaps i get a defective pair. Sound artificial and boomy. Anyway, its now a sub-100$ iem...

ISN is an intriguing (and quite obscure for westerner) audio company.

You must be mistaken with Tri i4.
The i3 is DD + planar and seems very good. Mine is on the way.

And will be getting the H40 soon (saving up now)

Really interested to hear about AQ3 from you and Dunu 2001 too

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #369 of 592
Periodic Be!

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #370 of 592
So, in sub-300$ realm i have on hands:

Obravo Cupid (will not go on the list)
Akoustyx R-220 (will not go on the list)
Hifiman RE-600 (will not go on the list)

waiting for:
Dunu DK2001
Audiosense AQ3

Just a suggestion but can the list be made specific to sound preferences? Because all of us have different preferences in terms of signature, drivers, and form factor. I understand that it might be tedious for you to maintain the list but a gentle suggestion to respect the monies spent by the members.

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #371 of 592
You must be mistaken with Tri i4.
The i3 is DD + planar and seems very good. Mine is on the way.

And will be getting the H40 soon (saving up now)

Really interested to hear about AQ3 from you and Dunu 2001 too
damn thats right i mistake....I3 look promising. OUPS!

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #372 of 592
Just a suggestion but can the list be made specific to sound preferences? Because all of us have different preferences in terms of signature, drivers, and form factor. I understand that it might be tedious for you to maintain the list but a gentle suggestion to respect the monies spent by the members.
euh i can try but im open to any type of soundsig and do not just include what i personally test in the list. im back to work on it so any suggestions welcome! the goal is to have Democratic List so this mean it most be a good suggestions for most adiophile...for example super sibilant or very unbalanced or badly tuned iem cant go there.

whats would you like to suggest bro?

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #373 of 592
euh i can try but im open to any type of soundsig and do not just include what i personally test in the list. im back to work on it so any suggestions welcome! the goal is to have Democratic List so this mean it most be a good suggestions for most adiophile...for example super sibilant or very unbalanced or badly tuned iem cant go there.

whats would you like to suggest bro?

For example if someone is looking for a BA iem that's balanced signature then T800 would be a good choice. Similarly, Ikko OH1 is good for bassheads. Something along these lines. I'm thinking out aloud but the idea is to make the list as customised as it can get. I really appreciate what you are doing for the community by creating these threads and I'm very thankful for that. My foray into chifi was because of your sub 100 thread and budget iem thread so customising will help experienced audiophiles as well as newbies like me.

Jan 22, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #374 of 592
Anyone else have the Obravo Cupid (or Basic) and can share their toughs??? I finally domesticate them and now like them.

I need to burn in the Cupid Basic for 50H, because at first the sound was strange, bass especially was muffled and upper treble not very articulate...as well, eartips and audio source pairing is very important. I find the Cupid capricious but once i find right pairing and eartips, they are sincerly spectacular to listen too. Unique and strangely addictive sound experience. I wish more consumers share their impressions about those!

Personally, I really like them, vivid and immersive music experience. I never heard anything sounding similar to the Cupid, and while it can be disturbing for some, I find it addictive.

Anyway, take a look on my honnest take to know Pros and Cons. Can be find on headfi HERE or my audio blog HERE

Jan 23, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #375 of 592
Before my question, I'll write a small wall of text to narrate my current situation...

I like to listen to music and watch movies both at home and outside, so I enjoy iems, headphones and speakers alike. At home i tend to favor speakers, but on the go i don't have a clear favorite. In the past I used Sony, Ath and Shure iems, but eventually I started to favor headphones.
Recently I wanted something that I could bring with me when I don't have a backpack so i started to look into the iem market again, and found the Chi-Fi world. I was very skeptic at first, but my first order was so cheap that I thought:"Whatever, let's give it a try". My first two purchases were KZ Zst Pro and Zsn Pro. While I disliked the former with a passion, the latter blew me away. I was definitely not expecting that kind of sound quality in the 15$ price range. I then jumped into the rabbithole and purchased a few other sub 100$ iems from Kz, Trn and Dunu. Some were clear upgrades, while others offered a different sound, all at a very reasonable price.
I then decided to make my first over-100% purchase. It took me weeks to decide between the Ikko OH10 and the Bqeyz Spring 1. I eventually decided to go for the Spring 1 following several good reviews and a much lower price tag (here in Taiwan the Spring 1 are 130$, while the Ikko are around 230$).

I've been completely blown away by how good they sound. I know for many people they are are an entry/mid tier set of iems, but the Spring 1 coupled with my Fiio M5 are giving me such a great combination for the price that even when I would have the opportunity to carry headphones I still prefer to pick the Spring 1.

Which brings me to my question. In the 100-300$ range are there iems that are substantially better than what the Spring 1 can deliver at 130$, or would I be better off getting a better dap? I use the M5 all the time, so an option would be to invest money in a much better dap (dx160? fiio m11?) rather than other iems, and use the M5 for sports. I'm a bit worried about diminishing returns in this price range >_>

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back