Best Ultimate Ear IEM's?
Mar 11, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwindsor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the triple.fi10's have a heavy bass? I'm not necessarily a basshead but I do enjoy more bass than the "average" listener. I like how the TF10's are shaped as they look like they would fit well in your ear wihout dropping out easily.

CW

Be careful, TF10's weakpoint actually would be there shape. But if it fits you perfectly then that's one major weakness down. (the other major weakness is the cable -- which you can replace later down the road).

After that all you have is an excellent IEM that is great for just about anything.

I wouldn't say they have heavy bass. The bass is deep and punchy, and you can tell it's there (unlike with the SF3) but as with the SF3 the TF10's emphasis is on its highs, so the bass is actually kind of "recessed." Not exactly but it's not what you notice with the TF10s. Take note I'm a super bass head who likes thumpy midbass so my "tolerance" for bass is a lot higher than most, so what I say may be deceiving.

But the TF10s surely have lots of bass, I just don't consider them "bass heavy" when taking into consideration the entire sound signature. They should have enough bass for your needs.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
even with the flip mod their ergonomics sucked. i did find them to be pretty bassy but thats different for each listener.

The bassiness of an IEM pretty much depends almost entirely on how well you can get a fit. I am sure we get a lot of disparity in the bass reviews due to varying degrees of fit, especially with the TF10 whose ergonomics make it hard to get a proper fit for most people

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my TF10s a lot. I think they have more than enough bass, the mids are not nearly recessed to the extent that people while about (unless my HD580 also have recessed mids?), and I don't find them to be in the least sibilant. I find with the flip mod and Sony Hybrid tips they are extremely comfortable - I wear mine for 6+ hours at work everyday. I really don't understand all the complaints about them, but everyone is welcome to their own opinion of course.

I've heard good things about the SuperFi 5 (non pro), which despite the name is the newest in the SuperFi 5 line up and by all accounts a significant step up from the SF5 Pro - but I haven't heard them myself. Despite being pleased with my TF10, I'm not sure I would venture in the land of UE customs personally. Don't know why, really.

I would actually say the HD580s do have recessed mids.
biggrin.gif

But recessed in a good way... the HD580s "throw" the sound far away from you and this is actually a pretty cool effect. I suppose this is what people mean by "The Sennheiser Veil."

I do agree with you that the TF10s have no trace of sibilance. What I really love about them is how smooth the sound is, yet very detailed and airy. There is no hint of harshness and I could listen to these for hours.

I still say the TF10's major weakness is its shape. It's still harder to put on and use than many other IEMs. I'm the type who prefers to just plug in and play the IEM. I've tried lots of IEMs where you can do this (including UE's own Metro.Fis), it's just not something the TF10 is particularly good at.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

I guess it's kind of hard for me to figure out how much bass that I want with the fact that I haven't gotten my first pair of "true" audiophile phones yet. Right now though, I'm using an iTouch as my main source, and even with the muddy eq preset 'Bass Booster' on,the quality of the bass is really bad. Maybe it's just the non-audiophile phones I'm using right now?

CW

Bass Boost will in most cases just make bad bass sound badder. And I'm talking as a bass head. But yeah it's probably the headphones you are using. If you're still using the buds that came with the iTouch, those can't reproduce bass *at all* you will literally hear what you are missing when you try on anything from the UE range.

Jai mentioned the MF200, which is a good recommend. I myself had the MF170 but I'd stopped using them after getting the TF10s, so I sold them off. Don't be fooled though the Metro.Fi's are a great value for the money, and not only that they are better than even the TF10 when it comes to bass (assuming you're like me and like warm thumpy bass). I will say that the mighty TF10s cannot produce the same warm, bassy sound that the Metro.Fi line can.

BTW don't worry about the TF10s having "recessed vocals" this is just ultra nitpicking from the headfi bets. Vocals come out clear and beautiful on the TF10s, period. Maybe someone coming from a Grado would have issues but again that's just nitpicking already, the TF10s reproduce vocals superbly. The bass, while there, does not hide it at all. The TF10's bass, while plentiful, is put in the background.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #20 of 40
Mochan implied earlier in this thread that the UE700s have strong bass. This is not the case. Though the UE700s have a nice sound signature, their bass is a bit recessed, especially in comparison to the Triple.Fi 10s. Even the Super.Fi 5 Pros have stronger bass than the UE700s. On the other hand, bass in the UE700s is not absent. They have more than the Etymotic ER4s.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Thanks! Seeing that you have a pair of TF10's, what do you think about the vocals? Do you feel that they are recessed in comparison to the bass?
CW

I don't really find the mid's to be recessed, I just don't think there forward enough for some people. Again it's all sound preference. I love my TF10's , The impact of the bass and the detailed treble is awesome, and the 3D soundstage they have will give you goosebumps sometimes, But then again thats how i see it. Cheers

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bass Boost will in most cases just make bad bass sound badder. And I'm talking as a bass head. But yeah it's probably the headphones you are using. If you're still using the buds that came with the iTouch, those can't reproduce bass *at all* you will literally hear what you are missing when you try on anything from the UE range.

I'm currently using my trusty Ink'd earbuds as a "transition" from Apple's default earphones to newer audiophile phones. Even with the Ink'ds, the different presets on my itouch are almost either unoticeable or just make the sound worse.

CW

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #23 of 40
Just go for UE18 Pro. You can skip all the unncessary purchases. You won't be able to appreciate it as much as people who go through almost all high-end universals before deciding to go for customs, but you can save a lot by going straight to the UE18 Pro (or JH16 Pro, or JH13 Pro). Why spend a whole lot more when you're eventually getting there anyways?

Mar 11, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #24 of 40
I think that the UE18's may be somewhat over my budget at this point. Being at over a thousand in price, I think that almost any ue would be astep up from Skullcandy's. I will consider the UE18's later on though.

Thanks!
CW

Mar 11, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guidostrunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really find the mid's to be recessed, I just don't think there forward enough for some people. Again it's all sound preference. I love my TF10's , The impact of the bass and the detailed treble is awesome, and the 3D soundstage they have will give you goosebumps sometimes, But then again thats how i see it. Cheers

I very much agree with you on the "goosebumps" part. That's very evident when I listen to live recordings. The 3D effect is just...jaw dropping. It's as if you're just a few feet away from the performing artist. Sometimes, when I'm very much into the recording, I just stare blankly into the empty space right in front of me.

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #27 of 40
By the way everyone, I've been seeing the Monster Turbines all over these forums. Are they any good in comparison to the UETF10's? Thanks so much for all the helpful replies!
CW

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #28 of 40
I'm finding this thread informative. I'm considering buying TF 10's myself. My main reservation is the cord durability issue. I've read that they can fritz out after only a few months of use. Excellent SQ doesn't do any good if the cord is shot. Anyone having problems with their cords, or is this just an urban myth circulating?

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ya-chan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm finding this thread informative. I'm considering buying TF 10's myself. My main reservation is the cord durability issue. I've read that they can fritz out after only a few months of use. Excellent SQ doesn't do any good if the cord is shot. Anyone having problems with their cords, or is this just an urban myth circulating?

My cable did died quite fast, but using a aftermarket cable makes the fit much better and the cable is better overall too.

Also 100% recommended to use Sony hybrids over the stock tips.

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #30 of 40
OK, sounds like you found a satisfactory work-around for the TF 10's cable problem. Where did you get the new cables and how much did that set you back ($US)??

After further Head-Fi reading, I've concluded that this is a real problem, and quite serious in my opinion. Not sure I can justify $200 for a product that will need repair in a few months. Is UE addressing this problem and improving the cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back