Best type of RCA splitter to use??
Feb 16, 2012 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

K_19

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all,

I recently added a HP100 to my current WA6SE+DA100 mix and I find it to be a very nice solid state compliment to the WA6SE, and it's synergy with the DA100 is fantastic (not surprisingly, as they're designed to be used together). 

This bring to me to the point of this topic though... The DA100 just like most other DACs only have one pair of RCA outputs. I really like the DA100 with the WA6SE as well so I'm not going to separate those two anytime soon... and reaching back to switch the RCA cable every time I want to try the other amp is bothersome and likely bad for the cable and the jacks in the long run... so the obvious solution I figure is to invest in a RCA splitter, or a switchbox of some sort.

What I'd like is for the splitter to have as little impact to the sound quality as possible, and for it to put as least stress to the RCA jacks of the DA100 as possible... as using a standard splitter would apply additional weight to the jacks (I figure this wouldn't be a problem anyway as the RCA outputs are solidly built, but still). I'm never going to use the two amps at the same time so no need to worry about the signal splitting or whatever. As long as each outputs work fine.

I see that the standard plain jane RCA splitters they sell on ebay look like this:

or the ones that are on more of an Y angle:

then there are audioquest ones that look like this, obviously much more expensive:

Which ones would you recommend? I'd rather not invest in a switchbox as it's only for two amps, but would that be a better idea instead?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 41
Just grab a switchbox. They work fine. Before I had a switchbox I connected a cheap amp with a nice one to my DAC with splitters. Even when the bad one was off it killed the soundstage and SQ of the good amp.

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #3 of 41

Just buy these excellently-constructed Y-splitters from Monster at $15 a pair.  They do not have any adverse audible effect to my ears (there is no wire, just metal) and do not put any noticeable strain on the existing RCA outs, if you use sensible interconnects.  Switching boxes can cost a few hundred dollars and I would think that cheap ones would be worse than Y-splitters.  It might change output impedance slightly but this won't be an issue outputting a DAC.

Mar 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 41
Hi !

I am in the same situation as the OP.

I have a Schiit Bifrost on the way, along with a Schiit Asgard to amp my HP. I already have a Tivoli Model Two radio station in the house (ask the wife ... *sigh*).

I want to be able to use the Bifrost DAC as a source for both my private headphone listening sessions and for outputting through the Tivoli.

Basically I would want directions as to how to optimally set that up. Is it by splitting the signal with above mentioned solid Y splitters ? Or is it by connecting the DAC to the Tivoli AUX input, and then by connecting the ASGARD to the REC output of the Tivoli ? In the latter case, would the analog signal be affected by the Tivoli circuitry ? I can't seem to determine whether the Tivoli can act as a pass-thru. I really want to hold on the full quality of the signal. I do not want to have to make trade-offs with regards to the sound quality.

This question is very important to me because I plan on upgrading the living room stereo system (obvisouly) in the near future. I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 350A integrated amplifier in mind as the central piece of the setup. At that point, the same question will be remaining. How to use the single DAC as a source for both the integrated stereo amplifier and the headphone amplifier, while not sacrificing any sound quality.

Thank you in advance for your valuable and salutary help.

PS - I am kind of a newbie in the hi-fi world ... but you obviously got that, right ? 
tongue_smile.gif

PPS - I have searched the issue over the forum but couldn't sort out a definite answer. I have read that splitting the signal would cost it 3 db. Is that a volume-only loss (in which case no harm is done as the signal still has to pass through the amp), or does it imply a SQ loss ?

May 7, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 41
Giving this a bump, as I'm looking for the same answer.  Want to split the signal coming out of Peachtree DacIt and send it to Bottlehead Crack headphone amp and Acurus preamp (for my speakers).    Right now I'm using tape output through Acurus but am definitely getting noise added in through that circuit.   Wouldn't a y-splitter out of Peachtree be same as dual output, if it had it.  I've heard that most preamps, dacs, etc. with more than one output are basically splitting the signal anyway.

Any input would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 41
I'm giving this thread a bump because I have the same question. I have a DAC with one set of RCA outs, and I'd like to send it to powered speakers and a headphone amp.

Feb 18, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 41
bump! Also interested in knowing of the Y splitters are a good idea. Does audio degrade from the dac to the 2 hooked up amps and even run both amps at the same time with no ill effects?

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 41
I would be curious to know what high quality switch boxes are there for rca? I have a goldpoint for my xlr, but the rca version they sell doesnt look like a 1 input/ 2output capable.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #9 of 41
Bumpity bump freaking bump!!!!!!!!   I've wanted to know the answer to this question for a long time!  I have a dac connected to my HPA and also want an output to my desktop amp to power my speakers.  But I don't want to degrad the sound to my Soloist via my Silver Streak ICs.

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 41
Quote:
Bumpity bump freaking bump!!!!!!!!   I've wanted to know the answer to this question for a long time!  I have a dac connected to my HPA and also want an output to my desktop amp to power my speakers.  But I don't want to degrad the sound to my Soloist via my Silver Streak ICs.

A good splitter doesn't have to cost more than a few dollars; even the name brands should be less than $20 (IIRC).

Why not try one and decide for yourself if the sound is acceptable?

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #11 of 41
i've been looking for a quality A/B switch to route my DAC output to one of 2 headphone amps...I haven't found anything but cheap A/V selector boxes. how difficult is it to have a high-quality knob and a few RCA jacks?

Apr 10, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #12 of 41
Not sure if this thread is dead, but you're best of with a switchbox, I think you can get them under 20 usd easily. 

I used a splitter to split the signal from my dac to two receivers, but I just found out this degenerated the signal badly.
It wasn't the splitter itself, it was adding the second receiver which was the culprit. I can unplug the second receiver from the splitter and the sound goes back to normal. Btw even when the second receiver is turned off the sound is bad.

In my case I actually need sound on both systems at the same time.

EDIT: I just found out I had another bad splitter somewhere in the chain. This was a male male mini jack to 2 female mini jacks splitter. I used this to interconnect mini jacks, however this was not the right use of this splitter obviously.
I have very cheap gold plated rca splitters, but now I don't hear any sound degredation.

May 30, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #13 of 41
Reviving this from the dead.

I want to use the same DAC with two different amps. Would putting the splitters on the DAC output and routing rca cables to both amps degrade the sound quality? I only plan to use one amp at a time. Would appreciate any help, thanks.

May 31, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:
 Switching boxes can cost a few hundred dollars and I would think that cheap ones would be worse than Y-splitters.

Your cost analysis is a recipe for retailers to bump up the price of their switch boxes in order to avoid customers thinking that a box costing less than a few hundred dollars is of poor quality.  It doesn't cost a lot to make a switch box with a high quality switch and RCA sockets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back