Best type of RCA splitter to use??
Jun 22, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #31 of 41
Thanks for that. I'm surprised that it's so hard to find a high quality RCA matrix box available. You'd think there would be a decent market for that, for a reasonable price.

Jun 22, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #33 of 41
  Thanks for that. I'm surprised that it's so hard to find a high quality RCA matrix box available. You'd think there would be a decent market for that, for a reasonable price.

I suppose it depends on your degree of audiophilia nervosa.

Analog switch
Some unsorted examples from my archive:
  1. DECWARE The Zen Switch-box Model ZSB
    1. DECWARE RSB6 (discontinued? model)
  2. Inday AV4X-R(S)
  3. Mapletree Audio Design LR 1 Line Router
  4. Kramer Electronics
  5. QED IX20 2 WAY INPUT EXPANDER (discontinued)
  6. Goldpoint Level Controls Input/Output Switching Controls, and Project Enclosures
  7. Niles Audio Corporation Switching Systems > Source Switching Systems
  8. Audio Authority
    1. Model 1154A1
    2. Model 1154B

Jun 22, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #35 of 41
Thanks heaps for the responses! It looks like there are some other switch boxes out there I haven't known about before.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #36 of 41
Serious question - it seems like my post about my contact with Schiit was ignored.
Schiit customer service said that splitting the signal off a DAC with simple, cheap splitter cables was fine and would not affect the signal.
Yet everyone seems to be posting about $1000 splitter boxes.

Why? What am I missing here? Do you guys not trust Schiit or is there some other reason?

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #37 of 41
  Serious question - it seems like my post about my contact with Schiit was ignored.
Schiit customer service said that splitting the signal off a DAC with simple, cheap splitter cables was fine and would not affect the signal.
Yet everyone seems to be posting about $1000 splitter boxes.

Why? What am I missing here? Do you guys not trust Schiit or is there some other reason?

Nothing against Schiit - but as far as I understand, an analog signal split into 2 will unavoidably lose some of its power.

Also, I'm looking for a 2X4 solution at least (a 2 source, 4 output grid) - so a Y splitter is also not relevant for me for those reasons.

A splitter box (whether a 20$ or a 1000$ one) will be electrified and should keep all the signals at their original strength.

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #38 of 41
Nothing against Schiit - but as far as I understand, an analog signal split into 2 will unavoidably lose some of its power.

Also, I'm looking for a 2X4 solution at least (a 2 source, 4 output grid) - so a Y splitter is also not relevant for me for those reasons.

A splitter box (whether a 20$ or a 1000$ one) will be electrified and should keep all the signals at their original strength.

Well, leaving this at the 2 way split, Schiit directly said that there will be no effect on the signal.

I'm not hating on other peoples buying decisions, I'm just wondering what would underlies the 1000-dollar box in the face of an engineers advice to the contrary.

Jun 24, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #39 of 41
This has already been explained.

Provided that both input impedances are sufficiently high and more or less equal if you split a signal into two there will be no loss of signal quality but the strength will be halved. Resulting in a 3dB loss. So if you keep on doing it eventually it's going to effect your S/N ratio. The convention is you can safely split up to 3 times provided you have sufficient gain available. Which you probably have. Extra cable length may also lead to noise if you have a ground issue.

Unbalanced line level splitters (and combiners) are rare. You can see the problem. Connecting together the grounds on several consumer grade appliances spread over a wide area is almost certain to lead to ground loop issues. That is why professionals use something called a distribution amplifier for this task. It not only splits (or combines) a signal it also converts unbalanced to balanced and provide a small amp per channel to adjust the gain. You can get cheap ones from the likes of Berhinger and ART or top of the range from Drawmer and Radial.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MX882.aspx

http://www.drawmer.com/products/signal-distribution/da6.php

I still think that if the OP has the cash he would do best with a basic audio interface which is designed for the task in hand. And many other useful functions. You can get a 2 in 2 out unit with headphone from around $150. better would be 2 in and 4 out which starts at ~$200. If that's too steep then stick with a simple Y lead for now and hope you don't get a ground loop.

May 4, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #40 of 41
Good day everybody. I'm sorry to revive this old thread, but I have found that this has been the most helpful thread when searching for RCA switch, RCA splitter, RCA router, two output switch, etc. (Hoping those key words will help others.)

I also wanted to add to the content here. The excellent recommendation to look at Mapletree audio LR1 is one of the best options I've found that is not simply an RCA splitter. And the #7 version = March 2017 newsletter is a 7 page document that goes into more information that what is on the website. Find the website here, with the newsletter below it.

https://hollowstate.netfirms.com/index.html#routers
https://hollowstate.netfirms.com/Branches 7/Mapletreebranches7.pdf

The reason I'm looking for a switch, is that I have 2 headphone amplifiers. A Peachtree Audio Decco 65 with one aux input, and a Unison Research SH with one RCA input. I recently bought a turntable and wanted to easily switch between my two amps without having to move RCA cables in the back. I am very much considering the mapletree Audio RS1 switch/router. If I get it, I'll update this thread.

Jan 14, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #41 of 41
This has already been explained.

Provided that both input impedances are sufficiently high and more or less equal if you split a signal into two there will be no loss of signal quality but the strength will be halved. Resulting in a 3dB loss. So if you keep on doing it eventually it's going to effect your S/N ratio. The convention is you can safely split up to 3 times provided you have sufficient gain available. Which you probably have. Extra cable length may also lead to noise if you have a ground issue.

Unbalanced line level splitters (and combiners) are rare. You can see the problem. Connecting together the grounds on several consumer grade appliances spread over a wide area is almost certain to lead to ground loop issues. That is why professionals use something called a distribution amplifier for this task. It not only splits (or combines) a signal it also converts unbalanced to balanced and provide a small amp per channel to adjust the gain. You can get cheap ones from the likes of Berhinger and ART or top of the range from Drawmer and Radial.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/MX882.aspx

http://www.drawmer.com/products/signal-distribution/da6.php

I still think that if the OP has the cash he would do best with a basic audio interface which is designed for the task in hand. And many other useful functions. You can get a 2 in 2 out unit with headphone from around $150. better would be 2 in and 4 out which starts at ~$200. If that's too steep then stick with a simple Y lead for now and hope you don't get a ground loop.
If you split a DAC signal to two amps but only one of the two amps is ON at any gievn time, would you still have the impedance / 3dB reduction mentioned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back