Best type of RCA splitter to use??
Jun 1, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #16 of 41
Yes it can affect the quality of the sound. But it is difficult to predict by how much. You are after all putting the inputs of the two amps in parallel, which will reduce the nominal input impedance from 47K to around 23.5K. This could affect the signal to noise ratio amongst many other things.

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #17 of 41
I use a decent splitter in my setup, one goes to headphone amp, other goes to 2.1 system. Seems to have good sound quality but I have not A/B it to if there is SQ loss.

Sep 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #18 of 41
Reviving this from the dead.

I want to use the same DAC with two different amps. Would putting the splitters on the DAC output and routing rca cables to both amps degrade the sound quality? I only plan to use one amp at a time. Would appreciate any help, thanks.

Looks like I'm only about 4 months late...  I don't think it should degrade the SQ, atleast it won't be audible. I did quite some AB-ing, and could not make out any difference. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #19 of 41

Just buy these excellently-constructed Y-splitters from Monster at $15 a pair.  They do not have any adverse audible effect to my ears (there is no wire, just metal) and do not put any noticeable strain on the existing RCA outs, if you use sensible interconnects.  Switching boxes can cost a few hundred dollars and I would think that cheap ones would be worse than Y-splitters.  It might change output impedance slightly but this won't be an issue outputting a DAC.

Where can I find those specific Monster splitters? I looked at the Monster website but couldn't find them there. Anyone have a link? Thanks!

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #21 of 41

I found exactly the same style spliiters at radioshack for less than the monster ones go for.  They work great.

Awesome thank you very much for your post! I checked out Radio Shack's website and didn't see them there unless I typed in the wrong type of search (I just typed in RCA splitter). Did you just get them at your local Radio Shack?

thank you again for the heads-up! They are probably cheaper at Radio Shack too!
gs1000.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #22 of 41
I'm looking to purchase a Schiit Magni & Modi setup and want to hook up my headphones and monitors to them with splitters.

If I wanted to use the headphones I would just unplug the splitter connected to the monitors from the Modi.

Will the splitter itself cause any decrease in sound quality if the other splitter is not connected?

Also, Is there a cheap switch box I could buy that doesn't degrade the SQ, so I don't have to keep switching physically from headphone to monitors?

Jan 10, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #23 of 41
  I'm looking to purchase a Schiit Magni & Modi setup and want to hook up my headphones and monitors to them with splitters.

If I wanted to use the headphones I would just unplug the splitter connected to the monitors from the Modi.

Will the splitter itself cause any decrease in sound quality if the other splitter is not connected?

Also, Is there a cheap switch box I could buy that doesn't degrade the SQ, so I don't have to keep switching physically from headphone to monitors?

The only switch box I can really recommend is the Manley Skipjack. It's terribly expensive (I bought mine for over $900.00 several years ago) but is utterly transparent and can be used to go from 4 in / 1 out or 3 in / 2 separate out. It can also be used for blind a/b'ing. I just wish I could afford more than one!

Jan 11, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #24 of 41
I had a similar problem. Which I solved in a different manner, Albeit much more expensive. Or an investment. Depending how you look at it?

Next time you consider buying a new DAC don't get a simple stereo in / stereo out model. Instead buy an audio interface with multiple ins and outs already built in.

Then leave everything permanently connected. If you get a self powered model you don't even need a PC.

Focusrite, Roland, Native Instruments, and Avid, among others, make clean and transparent models with multiple stereo ins and outs starting at about $200. Which isn't much more, if anything, than an equivalent 'duplicate the motherboard out in a nice aluminium box' offering.

I know it doesn't solve the OPs question directly or within budget but since so many people appear to have the same requirement I just thought I'd mention a different approach. I ended up with a 10 in /14 out MOTU Ultralite. All the inputs are in use and all but one pair of outs. Brilliant routing, mixing, effects and EQ software too.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #25 of 41

I only know which switcher doesn't work, the only one i have tried, the $25 Dynex. It makes sound blurry, by large amount.

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #27 of 41
maybe I can contribute to this old thread (looks like it got bumped a bunch of times)

I emailed Schiit to ask them how I could use the Bifrost with both the Lyr & my powered speakers.

I did not like the idea of using the Lyr's preamp outputs, since my speakers don't have an ON/OFF switch and the Lyr specifically says that the speakers/amp should be off as the Lyr powers up.

They said that you could just use RCA Y-cables from the Bifrost to the Lyr / speaker amp.
I asked if that would degrade the sound quality at all, and they said no.

So, it appears that cheap Y-cables are fine without the switching box?

Apr 29, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #28 of 41
The only RCA splitter that I've found to work well is the Manley Skipjack. There are only a few left and they are profoundly expensive, but they utterly transparent. Short of that, AudioQuest makes some very good Y-adapters that have short runs of cable. They're not completely transparent but they're the best that I know of for under $1650.00, the cost of the Skipjack.

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #29 of 41
The only RCA splitter that I've found to work well is the Manley Skipjack. There are only a few left and they are profoundly expensive, but they utterly transparent. Short of that, AudioQuest makes some very good Y-adapters that have short runs of cable. They're not completely transparent but they're the best that I know of for under $1650.00, the cost of the Skipjack.

Where did you find the Skipjack? I've read online that it retails for 900$ but I can't see it anywhere, at any price...

Jun 22, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #30 of 41
Manley Labs manufactured the Manley SKIPJACK between 2004 and 2011 according to:

Manley Mausoleum: Manley SKIPJACK® (2004 - 2011) - R.I.P.

At some (rather late) point they raised the price a lot, from $900/999 to $16xx (if I remember the numbers reasonably correct).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back