Best Trance & Progressive IEMs
May 13, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #31 of 39

Quote:
I've narrowed down to just 2 left for me to listen to first hand: the SE535 and either the MTPC/EX1000, though the EX1000 is way too pricey, and I don't feel it's justified. Were I to spend that much, I'd go for customs, maybe even low-ends such as 1964's. I'll most probably wait that one out, especially since my W4's should keep me entertained for quite some time.
wink.gif

As an owner (and a bit of a fanboy) of the EX1000, I'll respectfully disagree that the EX1000 is too pricey and the entire 'go custom' mindset. That is the exact same thing I said when I wrote my first impression... but now that I own it, I doubt there is a custom that has the sound signature of the EX1000 (maybe the UERM? But that's like around $999).

May 13, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #32 of 39

Quote:
As an owner (and a bit of a fanboy) of the EX1000, I'll respectfully disagree that the EX1000 is too pricey and the entire 'go custom' mindset. That is the exact same thing I said when I wrote my first impression... but now that I own it, I doubt there is a custom that has the sound signature of the EX1000 (maybe the UERM? But that's like around $999).  

To be quite honest, that was my wallet talking, opposed to my personal feelings.
tongue.gif

I've tried convincing myself to forget the EX1000, but the force...is...just...too... okay me want!
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #33 of 39

Quote:

To be quite honest, that was my wallet talking, opposed to my personal feelings.
tongue.gif

I've tried convincing myself to forget the EX1000, but the force...is...just...too... okay me want!
biggrin.gif

Success!
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #34 of 39
Well that takes care of that. Just read your review my friend, and might I add, I really appreciated you having pointed out the flaws or cons you came across, opposed to the many reviews I've read that mention anything but. To be quite honiest, isolation is an absolute must for me, which in this case, I suppose would be the deal breaker for me. As you mentioned, the design of the EX1000 gives me the impression that tips will make little difference here with regards to the seal, since they are slightly protruding. If this is indeed the case, I'll definitely mark the EX1000 off of my list. Otherwise, if I can get a good seal with different tips, I may reconsider.

May 13, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #35 of 39

Quote:
Well that takes care of that. Just read your review my friend, and might I add, I really appreciated you having pointed out the flaws or cons you came across, opposed to the many reviews I've read that mention anything but. To be quite honiest, isolation is an absolute must for me, which in this case, I suppose would be the deal breaker for me. As you mentioned, the design of the EX1000 gives me the impression that tips will make little difference here with regards to the seal, since they are slightly protruding. If this is indeed the case, I'll definitely mark the EX1000 off of my list. Otherwise, if I can get a good seal with different tips, I may reconsider.

Aww, failure.
frown.gif

On a more serious note, I am glad my review managed to help you out (even if it is to mark the EX1000 off your list!) But yes, if isolation is an absolute must, then EX1000 is a pretty poor choice. In james444's EX1000 review thread (also its main discussion thread), it was mentioned the reason for EX1000's poor isolation is because they are vented. Having checked them again, they do indeed have vents, which probably contributed to EX1000's above average soundstage.

So, unfortuantely, seal has nothing to do with EX1000's poor isolation.

Hopefully you'll manage to find the best IEM for your taste though!

May 13, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #36 of 39
Thank you my friend, and it's safe to assume that if all else fails, having heard the Westone 4's, I'd say I already have!
wink.gif

May 13, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #37 of 39
I am anxiously waiting for a very certain brown package that'll hold the Westone 4 for me. Can't wait to finally pit them up against the EX1000 and SE535.
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #39 of 39
you might find my short review useful. the following setup for EDM and live EDM sets: Westone 4, Graham Slee Voyager, Sansa Fuze + LOD

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/527694/westone-4-appreciation-thread-and-reviews-a-k-a-westone-4/1845#post_7479929

Users who are viewing this thread

Back