Best Trance & Progressive IEMs
May 1, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #16 of 39

Quote:
535s turned out to be absolutely boring for trance and EDM eagerly awaiting a pair of IE8 should give my brain a good rattle

Well I could have told you that! I have never heard them but from what I have read they have a mid centric sound with less accentuated bass and treble. You need good bass and treble for trance. The IE8 fits the bass bill I don't know about the treble. Again I recommend the FX700

May 3, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #18 of 39
Well I could have told you that! I have never heard them but from what I have read they have a mid centric sound with less accentuated bass and treble. You need good bass and treble for trance. The IE8 fits the bass bill I don't know about the treble. Again I recommend the FX700

Thanks haven't heard much of FX700s mate

I'm awaiting a pair of Senns and I am gonna be using an EQ iPhone app to add a touch of not so sparkly treble people speak of.

May 5, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #19 of 39

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks haven't heard much of FX700s mate

I'm awaiting a pair of Senns and I am gonna be using an EQ iPhone app to add a touch of not so sparkly treble people speak of.

At the time, I first purchased my IE8's, my best friend heard a listen and wanted something just as high-end, yet different. Low and behold, he showed up a few days later with the SE535's. Both him and I share the same taste in music, with our collection consisting almost exclusively of trance & progressive. Mind you, he himself was a DJ in Jersey. I would switch off with his 535's for comparison sake, and I prefer the IE8's without a shadow of a doubt. After he had a bad run in with the cable on his Shures, he got the Ie8's as well!
biggrin.gif

I missed my SENNS so much, I just couldn't live without another pair of IEM's. So I just scored a pair of CK10's, which I simply cannot wait to try. I'm not expecting any comparison with regards to the bass of my IE8's, but clearly, my new 900 PRO's handle that department flawlessly. :)

May 5, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #20 of 39

Quote:
Anyone here likes Prodigy? Listen to Take me to the hospital or Thunder in FLAC quality the basslines will absolutely blow you away.

Just gave a listen on my 900's, and I must say, that's a sick beat!

May 5, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #21 of 39
I've owned a few IEMs to date - UM3X, Miles Davis Tribute, RE0 and FX700 - without a shadow of doubt the JVCs win hands down with dance music. They love it.

May 5, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #22 of 39
I'm sure the FX700's live up to their name, but isolation was key for me, and that's an area where the CK10's are said to shine.

May 8, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #23 of 39
I couldn't help myself, and recently received a pair of CK10's, and they definitely live up to the hype, with the exception of the build quality, especially with regards to the inner half which is very prone to wear. Nonetheless, since the very day I was in the market for my IE8's, I came across countless comparisons with Westones. In fact, some mentioned that it's difficult to compare Westones to similarly priced IEM's simply because they have a very unique sound. Since I can't really drive to a nearby retail store and test most top tier IEM's, as they are rarely ever carried or must be ordered in AFTER purchase, I went ahead and sealed the deal for the Westone 4's. If I am to disregard the need for prominent, punchy bass (which the Westones clearly aren't known for), have I made the right decision? I listen to exclusively trance & progressive, and rarely ever any other genre, so for those familiar, will the Westone 4's be enough to satisfy this audiophile crave, specific to my genre, or must I continue to starve?

P.S. Damn you Head-Fi! Can't live with it, and definitely can't live without it! Within the last month alone, I went from Superlux 669's to Ultrasone 900 PRO's to the ATH-CK10's, and now the Westone 4's. Bare in mind I always sell before I buy, so for the time being, I now only own the 900 PRO's and the soon to arrive Westone 4's.

May 8, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #24 of 39
I couldn't help myself, and recently received a pair of CK10's, and they definitely live up to the hype, with the exception of the build quality, especially with regards to the inner half which is very prone to wear. Nonetheless, since the very day I was in the market for my IE8's, I came across countless comparisons with Westones. In fact, some mentioned that it's difficult to compare Westones to similarly priced IEM's simply because they have a very unique sound. Since I can't really drive to a nearby retail store and test most top tier IEM's, as they are rarely ever carried or must be ordered in AFTER purchase, I went ahead and sealed the deal for the Westone 4's. If I am to disregard the need for prominent, punchy bass (which the Westones clearly aren't known for), have I made the right decision? I listen to exclusively trance & progressive, and rarely ever any other genre, so for those familiar, will the Westone 4's be enough to satisfy this audiophile crave, specific to my genre, or must I continue to starve?

P.S. Damn you Head-Fi! Can't live with it, and definitely can't live without it! Within the last month alone, I went from Superlux 669's to Ultrasone 900 PRO's to the ATH-CK10's, and now the Westone 4's. Bare in mind I always sell before I buy, so for the time being, I now only own the 900 PRO's and the soon to arrive Westone 4's.

right now i have some songs that sound great with the w4 and others that don't. the w4 have the required hardware to produce strong bass, but they are factory configured to be balanced. from what i read, you can EQ them and get the sound that you want. i myself am waiting for my Graham Slee Voyager portable amp to arrive, it has a hardware EQ that boosts lows and highs.

May 11, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #25 of 39
An an update, I've decided that the only way to settle on the absolute "best" IEM's that fit my needs is the obvious way that I was trying to avoid earlier: buy and try. So I've done just that; I will make a neck and neck comparison between the following:

SENN IE8, ATH-CK10, Westone 4, MTPG, and UE TF10; all coupled with the Headstage Arrow 12HE 3G and my HTC G2 phone, which surprisingly has some excellent EQ adjustments and volume boost features. I'll post my impressions based on EQ and un-EQ'ed, as well as amped and un-amped. I'm also considering the SE535, ATH-CK100, Monster MDT, Westone 3 & UM3X, Earsonics SM3, e-Q7, and DBA-02, but that'll be round 2 of course, once I'm able to narrow down the contenders from round one (in bold). Although I haven't much difficulty with regards to being able to distinguish subtle differences between IEM's, I'm a complete novice when it comes to expressing what it is I'm hearing , especially in such detail as can be found with some of the veteran reviewees here. All in all, this is more a personal search for the best of the best, exclusive to my listening experience.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 11, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #26 of 39

Quote:
An an update, I've decided that the only way to settle on the absolute "best" IEM's that fit my needs is the obvious way that I was trying to avoid earlier: buy and try. So I've done just that; I will make a neck and neck comparison between the following:

SENN IE8, ATH-CK10, Westone 4, MTPG, and UE TF10; all coupled with the Headstage Arrow 12HE 3G and my HTC G2 phone, which surprisingly has some excellent EQ adjustments and volume boost features. I'll post my impressions based on EQ and un-EQ'ed, as well as amped and un-amped. I'm also considering the SE535, ATH-CK100, Monster MDT, Westone 3 & UM3X, Earsonics SM3, e-Q7, and DBA-02, but that'll be round 2 of course, once I'm able to narrow down the contenders from round one (in bold). Although I haven't much difficulty with regards to being able to distinguish subtle differences between IEM's, I'm a complete novice when it comes to expressing what it is I'm hearing , especially in such detail as can be found with some of the veteran reviewees here. All in all, this is more a personal search for the best of the best, exclusive to my listening experience.
bigsmile_face.gif

This should work.

May 11, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #27 of 39
DFKT's, some reviewers, and even my experience is the SM3 is perfect for Trance. I listen to electronic music as if I'm a connoisseur and I can tell what Trance song is playing just by the first 4 beats, practically.

May 11, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #28 of 39

Quote:
DFKT's, some reviewers, and even my experience is the SM3 is perfect for Trance. I listen to electronic music as if I'm a connoisseur and I can tell what Trance song is playing just by the first 4 beats, practically.

Then you and I clearly think alike my friend! Which IEM's have you owned/listened to? I'd really like to hear your top favorites, as I'd really like to go toe to toe with my W4 and the top trance contendors.
redface.gif

May 11, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #29 of 39

ie8 (treble leaves a lot to be desired) , super.fi 5 Pro (not as revealing), Beats Tour (loaned by a friend who wanted my honest opinion on his pair, it was ok. It sounded a little harsher than what I'm used to), e-Q5 (as my SM3s are in for reshelling. They're close to sounding like the SM3, but just two levels below because the treble falls just a little shorter than the SM3. Not quite as detailed, but certainly not saying it's far from it, I would choose this second to even the super.fi 5 pro.) and Shure e2c (no, just...no). That's really the extent of my IEM experience. I tend to favor the natural sounding stuff than the analytical and reading enough reviews let me know which ones to at least not waste time and money on.
Quote:

Then you and I clearly think alike my friend! Which IEM's have you owned/listened to? I'd really like to hear your top favorites, as I'd really like to go toe to toe with my W4 and the top trance contendors.
redface.gif

May 13, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #30 of 39
I've narrowed down to just 2 left for me to listen to first hand: the SE535 and either the MTPC/EX1000, though the EX1000 is way too pricey, and I don't feel it's justified. Were I to spend that much, I'd go for customs, maybe even low-ends such as 1964's. I'll most probably wait that one out, especially since my W4's should keep me entertained for quite some time.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back