Best-sub-$50 IEM'S for my tastes/purposes? Xears vs Astrotec vs VSonic vs Monoprice
Aug 20, 2012 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jkim4007

New Head-Fier
i I'm looking for a sub-$50 set of IEMS (worn cable straight down). I listen to mostly (60%) pop-punk and melodic punk bands, but I also listen to a couple hardcore, folk rock, alternative/indie, acoustic (with violin) and lo-fi bands. Some of it is "rough around the edges" and some of it is pretty polished. I don't know much about warm/bright sound so I can't really say what I prefer. The music I like is generally pretty fast and guitar-driven, though I do listen to some piano-driven slower music. 

​I'll be listening from my laptop and iPod. 95% of my music is from the last 10 years, some of it is in lossless but the majority is in MP3. I'll be using these daily, so they have to be sturdy.

I had a pair of Klipsch Image S3's and the cable broke (can't hear much now) so I'm not open to buying another pair of Klipsch.

I liked the sound of the Klipsch, but my main issue with it was that the vocals were placed too far back and the mids/highs were lacking. The bass was absolutely perfect (not too overpowering but not too muddy).

What are some suggestions for budget IEM's? Thanks!
I checked out the multi-IEM review on here and used the chart to narrow down the IEM's into my price range

[size=small]Monoprice 8320/MEP 933 - $7[/size]
[size=small] Xears XE200pro -45$
Astrotec AM90 - 44$
VSonic GR99 - $28
[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Thanks! [/size]

Aug 20, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 4
Oh, and I'm well aware these aren't even close to ALL the IEM's in my price range. They're just the ones that seemed to get a lot of praise. 50 bucks isn't really pocket change for me atm so I feel more comfortable going for the "well-hyped" ones.

Aug 20, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #3 of 4
Mayye the Dunu Trident or Brainwavz M1 or M4 (when on sale) would suite your needs.

Aug 20, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 4
I listen mostly to similar genre of music as you and I picked up a set of these CC51P off Amazon for 28 dollars shipped and couldn't be happier for the price. Balance and Clarity was the reason I even looked up CC51 on Amazon to begin with, being on sale was the reason I got them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back