Best sub-$50 headphones
Jan 21, 2020 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

needforbeats

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I currently own a pair of ATH-M40x cans and am looking for something more portable (preferably IEMs). I'll be using this mostly for taking calls, listening to podcasts and music (Pop, Jazz, Indie, Bollywood, Classic Rock, Instrumental and Electronic) on the go, using my phone/Macbook.

I'm open to both wired and wireless options and have no preference for any particular brand as long as it's a great value for money.

Tried checking various sticky posts and guides but they all seemed a little outdated.

Looking forward to your recommendations :)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 13
These threads are useful places to ask the others:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...nd-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-iem-info-thread.820747/

The most recent CHIFI IEM releases that have great reviews (< $50 USD) on headfi would be the TRN V90, TRN BA5, CCA C12, KZ ZSX (Terminator) and BLON BL-03. I think the BA5 and BLON BL-03 have poorer isolation so maybe not the best for on the go.

The TRN V90/BA5, CCA C12, KZ ZSX have good technicalities and seem to be sidegrades of each other, just with different tuning, so check out more to see what suits u.
The BLON BL-03 has great timbre/tonality for acoustic instruments, though at the expense of technicalities. Plus it has poor fit with stock tips/cables, so one might need to get aftermarket tips/cables to get a better fit for sound.

Good luck in your search!

Nov 4, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #7 of 13
The work-from-home job force just got a big push from the current global coronavirus pandemic. But even before COVID-19 became a factor, increasing numbers of people have been saying goodbye to their onerous commute to work. Thanks to ever-evolving technologies like Skype, Facetime, Slack, Zoom, Google Hangouts, authenticator apps, and cloud computing—not to mention texting and email—it's no longer necessary to be in an office full-time to be a productive member of the team. In fact, many kinds of work can be done just as effectively, if not more so, from a home office. But what are the affordable earphones for phone calls with a microphone and for video calls also?

Sep 7, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #8 of 13
Koss KSC 75
Takstar Pro 80
ISK HF2011
HyperX Cloud ii
Gemini Greathon
Superlux 681 red ring
Superlux 668b
Presonus HD7 blue ring
Samson SR850
JVC/Victor HA-S500b

All are budget phones from 2011-2016 that punch well above their price point.

Used they are $25.
New $15 to $70.

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 13
Other suggestions are also welcome!
New here; I might suggest the KBear KS2's. Been using them for several weeks. I really love how they sound, and they're only $25. I don't have any other IEMs to compare it to just yet, though I have a pair of 7Hz Timeless on order. I may report back once I get them and have some time to compare; hopefully an 8x increase in price will be a meaningful improvement!

Just for the sake of comparison, I can confidently say they are much better sounding than my Bose QC ANC earbuds. Better enough that I gave up the convenience and just run the KS2's. For the record, I run them through a bluetooth DAC (FiiO BTR5).

Hope that helps!

Oct 9, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 13
Generally speaking, the Koss KSC-75 still represents the best value anywhere less than $50 - and they are less than $15.
They are shockingly good. I think every aspiring audiophile(and non-audiophiles for that matter) should try these to get a taste of what this is all about.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #12 of 13
If you can handle the fit and don't mind the noise isolation (or if you prefer it) the Etymotic Er2xr can be found for under $50 and the Er3se were recently put on sale at adorama for $49. I prefer the 2xr personally, and it is imho unbeatable at the sub $50 price range. Classic for a reason, for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back