CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 30, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #5,491 of 31,833
Hum.....so it got bass too? Just one BA make me very nervous....even if after reading about BA technologie if the size is bigger it can produce more bass. Can you describe a little more what type of sound we get with the B100? and did you have the B200 too. I wanna know too how they compare to Urbanfun hybrid...cause in reviews I read a guy say the B100 and Urbanfun are his favorite.

Anyway. I want you to CONVINCE me not to buy them lol

No, but, seriously, got problem with BA sometime when I listen to loud, so, need a hardcore testing about high volume potentialy causing distortion.
As I wrote before, the famous Etymotic ER-4S at USD $300 also have a single BA driver.
OK, here the rundown from discussion with Chris from the Kopfhoerer Lounge:

B100 and B200 have very similar sound signatures but the B200 has a better resolution.
B400: treble too tame...B200 preferred
B150: somewhat redundant model

Therefore, if you have the B200, you don't need the B100. BUT: the B200 retails at a similar price as the Logitech UE900S on massdrop...which play in a higher league than the B200, but the B200 have the better mids.

Confused?

My take: wait for the B200 to come down in price (currently CDN $150) or get the B100 at CDN $39.99 PLUS the Logitech UE900S at USD $174 from massdrop.

Extensive reviews of all of the above at www.headflux.de, https://primeaudio.org, Chris' Kopfhoerer Lounge (http://kopfhoerer-lounge.blogspot.ca).

And my B100 are head and shoulders above my KZ KS5. v1 and my Urbanfun Hybrid v1. Different league! Bass of the B100 is just fine!

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #5,492 of 31,833
As I wrote before, the famous Etymotic ER-4S at USD $300 also have a single BA driver.
OK, here the rundown from discussion with Chris from the Kopfhoerer Lounge:

B100 and B200 have very similar sound signatures but the B200 has a better resolution.
B400: treble too tame...B200 preferred
B150: somewhat redundant model

Therefore, if you have the B200, you don't need the B100. BUT: the B200 retails at a similar price as the Logitech UE900S on massdrop...which play in a higher league than the B200, but the B200 have the better mids.

Confused?

My take: wait for the B200 to come down in price (currently CDN $150) or get the B100 at CDN $39.99 PLUS the Logitech UE900S at USD $174 from massdrop.

Extensive reviews of all of the above at www.headflux.de, https://primeaudio.org, Chris' Kopfhoerer Lounge (http://kopfhoerer-lounge.blogspot.ca).

And my B100 are head and shoulders above my KZ KS5. v1 and my Urbanfun Hybrid v1. Different league! Bass of the B100 is just fine!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Thanks for nothing.

Now, this B100 will stick in my head until the day I impulsively buy them. Hum, but Etymotic I try displeased me, it was a dynamic driver tough, the MC5. I'm afraid about soundstage too with single BA, but you Otto make me curious, cause your the guy that is ''hard to cook'' and very very severe, wanna try the B100 to see if its another subjectivity aspect about sound. About ER4, I much needed price drop begin and it can be found around 200$ new on Ebay, perhaps they will begin to intrigue me now cause since begining I feel they were overpriced.

About subjectivity, I would be very curious to have other toughs about Zhiyin Z5000...perhaps they are just made for my hearing, still, they are my obsession right now and it do not tame, quite the opposite, was thinking warm Xduoo X10 would have been a mismatch for the Z5000 but it sound marvelous with any source, bright (dx90), warm (x10), bassy (xduoo D3), trebly (Xduoo X1)...and now with Xduoo XD05 using AK4490 dac, its just so wide, with organic fowards vocal and spot on imaging....well, really hope the drivers in there will be durable for years!

Dec 30, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #5,493 of 31,833
I listen to a fair amount of Mahler, Bruckner, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, etc. The T2s are pretty good, but the mid-range peak at around 500Hz still bothers me with them. Of the iems I have, I would choose the KZ ZS6, the E-MI CI880 or the Urbanfun HiFi over the T2. But, my opinion will be in the minority here.
Was thinking about Urbanfun too, ZS6 is on the way so....wasn't thinking ZS5 is good enough for a smooth music presentation cause violin can sound harsh with them.
As I listen exclusively chamber music, and don't personally like Mahler, im sure not the right guy about this. Just feel wide soundstage of T2 and good imaging was a good bet for symphonies. For quartet its another story. I'm curious to know what would you suggest for piano or harpsichord rendering? Like, best IEM to feel weight and impact of note as well as decay and roundness....I play piano and never been able to find any IEM that sound as if i'm front of a piano (or inside).

Dec 30, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #5,494 of 31,833
Was thinking about Urbanfun too, ZS6 is on the way so....wasn't thinking ZS5 is good enough for a smooth music presentation cause violin can sound harsh with them.
As I listen exclusively chamber music, and don't personally like Mahler, im sure not the right guy about this. Just feel wide soundstage of T2 and good imaging was a good bet for symphonies. For quartet its another story. I'm curious to know what would you suggest for piano or harpsichord rendering? Like, best IEM to feel weight and impact of note as well as decay and roundness....I play piano and never been able to find any IEM that sound as if i'm front of a piano (or inside).

For piano, you need to decide where you want to be sitting. Inside? Really? I doubt that you will find very many recordings miked or mastered well enough to give you anywhere near that kind of feeling. A piano recording I like to use as a reference is an old Bernstein / New York Phil recording of both Shostakovich piano concertos and the Poulenc concerto for two pianos. Very well recorded, but certainly not right in front of or inside the piano. Another good recording is Martha Argerich / Dutoit and Montreal Prokofiev pc3. I have played that one and the Shostakovich #1 in orchestras I played in. The Argerich recording sounds pretty real to me on the ZS6 or even ZS5. My experience with them does not match Otto's. To each his own I guess. On my equipment, the mids on the ZS6 and 6 are not thin. They may be a touch more recessed, but not unrealistic. Like I have noted, I had found the T2 mids a little colored, but now they are getting better. Maybe the iems is getting broken in more or maybe it is the tip change to Symbios Mandarins.

Dec 31, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #5,495 of 31,833
I had my neighbour over for blind testing. Earlier this year, he had borrowed my Koss Porta Pro and my Sennheiser PX 100 Mk II.

He made me once buy the Fostex TE02 as a cheap, neutrally tuned earphone.
He did not know what he was testing. I gave him the Lker i8, Tinaudio T2, and KZ KS5 v1. He used his own tips.

He really liked the T2, but not the other two. In my opinion, the T2 play leagues above the Lker i8 (weird upper bass, unbalanced sound, tiny soundstage, fragile cables) and the ZS5 are merely good looking toys (boomy bass, tinny mids a horrible failure, needs four drivers to produce a plastic sound). I claim the T2 are the only real earphones that play real music and the other two are well-marketed experiments and a waste of my money. Simply put, the T2 don't do anything wrong and lots of things right.

Interesting to note that Chris from the Kopfhoerer Lounge, in his ZS5 v1 review, establishes a sonic similarity to the 1More E1001 Triple Driver, which flatters the ZS5.

The Brainwavz B100, like the T2, are also real grown-up earphones with a fluid, coherent, engaging sound. Their published reviews are quite realistic and an interesting read. Considering that you get the B100 substantially cheaper and rather quickly through local web sellers, why bother ordering overpriced/overhyped models from China and wait for up to three months.

Once again, the Tinaudio T2 and Brainwavz B100 are excellent earphones and outstanding value. They show up in quite a few best of 2017 lists (including the one by B9 Scrambler) for good reasons. Two real winners. And they play galaxies above any KZ model or Urbanfun Hifi, Memt X5, Boarseman, or, errr.. Rock Zircon. All of the latter merely represent good value for little money.

UPDATE I compared the Urbanfun Hifi and B100 last night. Initially, the differences are not obvious and the Urbanfun are quite...as the name implies...fun...with a decent imaging. Not bad at all. The difference lies in the detail. The Urbanfun have the classic v-shape with a boomy bass like all the other 30 or so $10-20 Chifi I own (for example, the Takstar Ingping H60 sound very similar) whereas the B100 are much more more coherent and fluid with nothing really overdone. And over a longer listening period, these small differences become prominent. The B100 are much more fun in the long run.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #5,496 of 31,833
I had my neighbour over for blind testing. Earlier this year, he had borrowed my Koss Porta Pro and my Sennheiser PX 100 Mk II.

He made me once buy the Fostex TE02 as a cheap, neutrally tunes earphone.
He did not know what he was testing. I gave him the Lker i8, Tinaudio T2, and KZ KS5 v1. He used his own tips.

He really liked the T2, but not the other two. In my opinion, the T2 play leagues above the Lker i8 (weird upper bass, unbalanced sound, tiny soundstage, fragile cables) and the ZS5 are merely good looking toys (boomy bass, tinny mids a horrible failure, needs four drivers to produce a plastic sound). I claim the T2 are the only real earphones that play real music and the other two are well-marketed experiments and a waste of my money. Simply put, the T2 don't do anything wrong and lots of things right.

Interesting to note that Chris from the Kopfhoerer Lounge, in his ZS5 v1 review, establishes a sonic similarity to the 1More E1001 Triple Driver, which flatters the ZS5.

The Brainwavz B100, like the T2, are also real grown-up earphones with a fluid, coherent, engaging sound. Their published reviews are quite realistic and an interesting read. Considering that you get them substantially cheaper and rather quickly through local web sellers, why bother ordering overpriced/overhyped models from China and wait for up to three months.

Once again, the Tinaudio T2 and Brainwavz B100 are excellent earphones and outstanding value. They show up in quite a few best of 2017 lists (including the one by B9 Scrambler) for good reasons. And they play galaxies above any KZ model or Urbanfun Hifi, Memt X5, Boarseman, or, errr.. Rock Zircon. All of the latter merely represent good value for little money.
Damn I'm so hyped to order these. I've only ever had kz and earbuds that came with phones.

Dec 31, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #5,497 of 31,833
About three weeks ago, Crabbos pointed us to his fresh review of the MaCaw T50 Bluetooth earphones:
https://primeaudio.org/macaw-t50-bluetooth-review/

A couple of days ago, I received my impulsive fun order from Gearbest (the IPX5 rating did it for me). I paid CDN $15-16 including fast shipping.

Crabbos's review was spot on and the T50 are a great recommendation.

These little rascals are presented incredibly nice, they appear to be built well, the bluetooth stuff works smoothly, and the sound is surprisingly good - actually quite enjoyable. Upon switching them one the built-in voice even tells you the battery level.

I am quite impressed.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #5,499 of 31,833

He made me once buy the Fostex TE02 as a cheap, neutrally tuned earphone.

The Brainwavz B100, like the T2, are also real grown-up earphones with a fluid, coherent, engaging sound. Their published reviews are quite realistic and an interesting read. Considering that you get the B100 substantially cheaper and rather quickly through local web sellers, why bother ordering overpriced/overhyped models from China and wait for up to three months.

Once again, the Tinaudio T2 and Brainwavz B100 are excellent earphones and outstanding value. They show up in quite a few best of 2017 lists (including the one by B9 Scrambler) for good reasons. Two real winners. And they play galaxies above any KZ model or Urbanfun Hifi, Memt X5, Boarseman, or, errr.. Rock Zircon. All of the latter merely represent good value for little money.

Does the B100 have removable cables?

Dec 31, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #5,500 of 31,833
Just got the B100, no removable cable, in fact the cable is the only thing that lets this iem down. Sound is actually pretty amazing with the right tip

Dec 31, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #5,501 of 31,833
Just got the B100, no removable cable, in fact the cable is the only thing that lets this iem down. Sound is actually pretty amazing with the right tip

Which tip do you like best?

Dec 31, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #5,504 of 31,833
Dec 31, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #5,505 of 31,833

Really? I thought the cable was pretty good. Thin above the y-split sure, but it's proven to be durable. Well, on my B150...my B100 is a prerelease model and has a different cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back