CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 8, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #4,996 of 31,832
It saddens me sometimes that ZS5 (v1 at least) is getting so much flak only because they are so source peaky (due to the idiotic low impedance build and at the same time requiring so much current to being driven properly).
If you'd consider: 1. using a source having a low (<0.5 ohm) output impedance, changing the cable to a SPC lower ohmage aftermarket, running them through an amp or dac/amp - you'll have a nice surprise. Big one.

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #4,997 of 31,832
Okay, I will conclude you don't like how the mids sound, for the rest its too subjective, like the overhyped opinion and all, it do not affect me in judgment. From my point of view, you can't have this level of details and instrument separation in a wide soundstage with any chifi IEM under 50$. I will compare the ZS5 to Tinaudio once I receive them. It excite me even more that you like them this much (Tinaudio).
What version do you have if I may ask?

Dec 8, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #4,998 of 31,832
Hi man, its out of topic a little, but I see you picture have the Faudio S1 player....is it any good??? This brand really intrigue me!

I like it. These were my first impressions that I posted on Facebook a while back:

"The play/pause button handles too many functions which is my only real complaint at this point. So far I can see that it handles;

- play/pause
- item selection in the menus
- backing out from Now Playing to the tracklist menu (brief 1 second hold)
- power on/off (3 second hold each way)

Took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure out how to leave the Now Playing screen as a result. The rest of the controls are pretty intuitive and the menus are simple and self explanatory, so the learning curve is short. I'm thankful for this because I wasn't sent any packaging or instructions so I'm learning as I go.

I also haven't run into any file playback errors despite ignoring the recommendation to format the card in the device, then load music on. I just threw in the small 16GB card from my Shanling M1, filled with everything from 128 to FLAC, and it all plays just fine.

For the 50-60 bucks it goes for, it seems like a solid, feature rich little player. It's nice to use and sounds better than the HiFiMan MegaMini imo, and that costs a heck of a lot more. I'm sure I'll find some quirks and whatnot as I check out all the features over the coming weeks."

Haven't had much chance to use it since then and still haven't tested the Bluetooth out, but I haven't run into any firmware issues and have the controls down pat. As long as I don't run into any major issues it'll be an easy recommendation.

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #5,000 of 31,832
Okay, I will conclude you don't like how the mids sound, for the rest its too subjective, like the overhyped opinion and all, it do not affect me in judgment. From my point of view, you can't have this level of details and instrument separation in a wide soundstage with any chifi IEM under 50$. I will compare the ZS5 to Tinaudio once I receive them. It excite me even more that you like them this much (Tinaudio).
What version do you have if I may ask?
Of course is my opinion subjective (hype + price = expectations). Well, the ZS5's mids are thin sounding to me. No idea what version of the T2 I have. I ordered them on 11/11 and they arrived recently. How are the versions distinguished? I was certainly harsh on the ZS5 as I have a whole bunch of KZ earphones at much lower price points to compare to. For example, I LOVE the ATR for their tuning (CDN $7) but dislike the ATE or the KS3 (horribly dark and harsh). I am also not a big fan of the ED9, but like the cheap HDS1/HDS3. After reading a few reviews by Chris from the Kopfhoerer Lounge as well as on Headflux, I more recently tried more neutrally tuned earphones starting with the Fostex TE-02 and continuing with the Brainwavz B100. That was an eye-opener to me, but not instantly. The Fostex were sitting in my box for 1/2 year before I started appreciating them. The Tin Audio T2 are a bit more refined and have a well contained, realistic bass. V-shapers started modding them by stuffing blue tack into the bass vents - how vulgar! You see, everything is subjective.

By the way, I treated myself to the legendary Sennheiser HD600 on Black Friday (CDN $350). They have also just arrived and will keep me busy on the weekend.

A general note to this site. It didn't let me edit my profile initially, but after a magic number of contributions, it finally opened up. I could add my gear this morning...must be seem 50 headphones and earphones. I wanted to edit my silly name but couldn't. On any disqus discussion group, I appear under Dr. Schweinsgruber, another thing of the past I cannot change. The ZS5 arrived at the end of a long order. There is a saying: "when the mouse is full, the flour tastes bitter". There was simply too much competition in my box. I should have actually gone for the B400s instead of the large number of cheapos.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #5,001 of 31,832
I got a question about the Lker i8 (USD $64 initial price; sometimes for USD $30 on ebay). Does anybody have a pair, I am looking for opinions? They were hyped so that I tried them out. Good mids but everything is overly forward and the boomy bass is massacring the soundstage. Hard to find reviews.

As to my pair: plug is rubberized (metal on the company photos), and one screen was pulled off with the rubber tip - I glued it back on. Wonder whether I got a fake.

Attachments

• 21ec09d5791de32e074b5597e5f251dffd0c02ac588b6990853493b52d61ccbf.jpg
    21ec09d5791de32e074b5597e5f251dffd0c02ac588b6990853493b52d61ccbf.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #5,003 of 31,832
Yes, audiobudget was an excellent start with great advice. But there is only so much audiobudget variety so that you reach a level of saturation at one point. How many more $10 earphones are still interesting after your selection has grown infinitely. You educate yourself and then leave the nest at one point.

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #5,004 of 31,832
Personally I'd call the ZS5v1 U-shaped... But if you're going to make claims like that, you should at least back them up... so let's have a bit of fun:

ER-4S Harman target compensated (source):
Etymotic%252520Research%252520ER-4S%252520-%252520ow.png

And here's a rough one of the ZS5v1:

PS: Those are from different standards compliant couplers, so data past 10kHz shouldn't be considered relevant.

Also the ER-4S is targeted to diffuse field neutral, not Harman target neutral, and it hits its target very precisely (ref).
Personally I'd call the ZS5v1 U-shaped... But if you're going to make claims like that, you should at least back them up... so let's have a bit of fun:

ER-4S Harman target compensated (source):
Etymotic%252520Research%252520ER-4S%252520-%252520ow.png

And here's a rough one of the ZS5v1:

PS: Those are from different standards compliant couplers, so data past 10kHz shouldn't be considered relevant.

Also the ER-4S is targeted to diffuse field neutral, not Harman target neutral, and it hits its target very precisely (ref).
I see what you mean by how I should be trying to back up my claims and the graphs you posted are great.
The graphs help me to show what I was saying. That 14db more bass than the er4s is what I was on about. Also that big dip and peak with the ZS5.
I'm not so good at interpreting graphs but it is much easier when it is a compensated graph.

Looking at the graph for the ZS5 shows it's signature isn't for me but I am happy for others that they can enjoy them.

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #5,006 of 31,832
LOL!
I am actually seriously considering doing that if I find their bass not sufficient. :)
Others stuff partial tea bags down the main hole or cover it up with surgical tape. It really depends what you use as a sound reference. Yes, the Tin Audio T2 are bright but really balanced. They are a bit of an acquired taste as nothing is overdone. Compare them to tomatoes: we all like them salted, but once you get used to it, they taste much better without salt (then they actually taste like tomatoes). By taping the T2's vents, you put ketchup on your oyster and create a $20 earphone - a McDonaldofication: congratulations! :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #5,007 of 31,832
Of course is my opinion subjective (hype + price = expectations). Well, the ZS5's mids are thin sounding to me. No idea what version of the T2 I have. I ordered them on 11/11 and they arrived recently. How are the versions distinguished? I was certainly harsh on the ZS5 as I have a whole bunch of KZ earphones at much lower price points to compare to. For example, I LOVE the ATR for their tuning (CDN $7) but dislike the ATE or the KS3 (horribly dark and harsh). I am also not a big fan of the ED9, but like the cheap HDS1/HDS3. After reading a few reviews by Chris from the Kopfhoerer Lounge as well as on Headflux, I more recently tried more neutrally tuned earphones starting with the Fostex TE-02 and continuing with the Brainwavz B100. That was an eye-opener to me, but not instantly. The Fostex were sitting in my box for 1/2 year before I started appreciating them. The Tin Audio T2 are a bit more refined and have a well contained, realistic bass. V-shapers started modding them by stuffing blue tack into the bass vents - how vulgar! You see, everything is subjective.

By the way, I treated myself to the legendary Sennheiser HD600 on Black Friday (CDN $350). They have also just arrived and will keep me busy on the weekend.

A general note to this site. It didn't let me edit my profile initially, but after a magic number of contributions, it finally opened up. I could add my gear this morning...must be seem 50 headphones and earphones. I wanted to edit my silly name but couldn't. On any disqus discussion group, I appear under Dr. Schweinsgruber, another thing of the past I cannot change. The ZS5 arrived at the end of a long order. There is a saying: "when the mouse is full, the flour tastes bitter". There was simply too much competition in my box. I should have actually gone for the B400s instead of the large number of cheapos.

Talking about no being able changing silly name....check mine LOL

About version, I was talking for ZS5, there 2, if you check inside nozzle hole and you see 2BA drivers its the V2, 1BA its the V1, V2 is more bright and less source dependant (still will inflict on sound tough). Whats you audio source too? And the tips you use? (for me the worst are memory foam one wich kill soundstage and make the sound even brighter)

Your quest is nice, we need to know more (real) neutral sounding IEM in chifi world, did you try Urbanfun Hybrid???? Pretty sure you will not find them boomy at all. Vidal and Audiobudget site are pretty nice to have idea about good IEM bet:wink:

Oh....and HD600....don't talk to me about that, it make me very very jealous! Make like....5 years I check ebay to got them at half the price so I can afford it....Hifiman 400S look very promising too.

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #5,008 of 31,832
Others stuff partial tea bags down the main hole or cover it up with surgical tape. It really depends what you use as a sound reference. Yes, the Tin Audio T2 are bright but really balanced. They are a bit of an acquired taste as nothing is overdone. Compare them to tomatoes: we all like them salted, but once you get used to it, they taste much better without salt (then they actually taste like tomatoes). By taping the T2's vents, you put ketchup on your oyster and create a $20 earphone - a McDonaldofication: congratulations! :smile_phones:
Talking about no being able changing silly name....check mine LOL

About version, I was talking for ZS5, there 2, if you check inside nozzle hole and you see 2BA drivers its the V2, 1BA its the V1, V2 is more bright and less source dependant (still will inflict on sound tough). Whats you audio source too? And the tips you use? (for me the worst are memory foam one wich kill soundstage and make the sound even brighter)

Your quest is nice, we need to know more (real) neutral sounding IEM in chifi world, did you try Urbanfun Hybrid???? Pretty sure you will not find them boomy at all. Vidal and Audiobudget site are pretty nice to have idea about good IEM bet:wink:

Oh....and HD600....don't talk to me about that, it make me very very jealous! Make like....5 years I check ebay to got them at half the price so I can afford it....Hifiman 400S look very promising too.

I think both of you have good names. Nymphonomaniac is clever and amusing while Otto Motor is easy to remember and still fairly unique. Win win!

Dec 8, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #5,009 of 31,832
I got a question about the Lker i8 (USD $64 initial price; sometimes for USD $30 on ebay). Does anybody have a pair, I am looking for opinions? They were hyped so that I tried them out. Good mids but everything is overly forward and the boomy bass is massacring the soundstage. Hard to find reviews.

As to my pair: plug is rubberized (metal on the company photos), and one screen was pulled off with the rubber tip - I glued it back on. Wonder whether I got a fake.
''
The extra beautiful, relatively expensive i8 earphones by LKER are some of the best mids/vocals performers around. They have a professional-level sound quality, with all frequencies properly balanced to provide audiophile-grade sound. After using them myself extensively for music, films and gaming, I can wholeheartedly recommend them, even if they're not as budget as most of the earphones on this website. You will experience level of micro-detail and clarity, along with a powerful bass response, that no other earphones on AB can outperform. Despite their price, they deserve to be on the top of the leaderboard.

Sound signature: Mid-centric

Pros
Cons
  • Extremely impressive mids and reproduction of vocals, nearly perfect.
  • Extremely loud with no amplification required.
  • Very high build-quality, with an extra-soft and long cable.
  • An impressive variety of ear tips and accessories, which is expected, considering the price.
  • The cable seems to be quite fragile because it's not coated.
  • One of the most expensive earphones on AB.''
PS:This is from a site that strangely can't be talk about here....but its usefull nonethless...and i'm pretty pround to see the NICEHCK BRO gain a five star there, I praise them before...but I will not suggest them for people that don't like V shaped sound, its boomy but in a very nice and elegant way!

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #5,010 of 31,832
I got the first version of the ZS5 ("early adopter") and always use the same third party tips from aliexpress - and I convinced myself that I don't like foam or these Christmas tree tips. I typically use the iPhone 5S with or without the audioquest dragonfly black. I do have the Urbanfun Hifi (also first generation). Hifiman 400S may be even better than Sennheiser HD600 - but they are not classic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back