CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 3, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #4,906 of 31,832
Have you received the VE IEMs (Biggies & Smalls) yet?

Mine arrived a couple of days ago - and I can say that the USD$60 Biggie has the clearest, most detailed Bass I've heard from an earphone (including my LZ-A4, which is double the budget of this "sub 100" thread...).
Listening to some FLAC files of the UK progressive Celtic rock band, Iona (which I really like), subtle differences in the percussion (different drum-heads, and hand-drums) is readily apparent.
Finally someone I trust has thoughts on the Biggie/Smalls!
Edit: among others I trust, I'm catching up on this thread.
Burn in believers say 50hrs on the biggie.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #4,907 of 31,832
Aloha, I need help selecting some Bluetooth earphones.

Been talking to a friend about Chinese earphones and he is interested in a TOTALLY wireless Bluetooth model. I don't think he will be too picky, but I would still like to get him something decent with a fair amount of bass since he said he likes bass. Since I have been talking up Chi-Fi, I would like something impressive for the price without going overboard. Probably in the $20 and under range but if there is something that's CONSIDERABLY better for a little bit more, then that would be fine too. He said he will be using it for "E-books and maybe some music".

This style with absolutely no wires. Mahalo.

He likes Bass, to listen to e-books?

Dec 4, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #4,909 of 31,832
Aloha, I need help selecting some Bluetooth earphones.

Been talking to a friend about Chinese earphones and he is interested in a TOTALLY wireless Bluetooth model. I don't think he will be too picky, but I would still like to get him something decent with a fair amount of bass since he said he likes bass. Since I have been talking up Chi-Fi, I would like something impressive for the price without going overboard. Probably in the $20 and under range but if there is something that's CONSIDERABLY better for a little bit more, then that would be fine too. He said he will be using it for "E-books and maybe some music".

This style with absolutely no wires. Mahalo.

The QCY Q29 is great. Longer battery life than the gear iconx and better sounding than those. They're slightly big though, but are lightweight and seal pretty good if you match the correct tip size - i have no issues with them falling off.

They are overall very compact (small charging case) compared to some other cheap chinese truly wireless earphones with monstrous charging cases.

They give surprisingly decent SQ for being completely wireless, but are pretty bassy (some bleed into mids).

Only problem is that the initial pairing can be quite frustrating but once you've got that done and figured, subsequent pairing and usage is quick and easy.

Dec 4, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #4,911 of 31,832
Thanks Slate. We are still in the feeling out stage on what to get him, so we are still flexible. He isn't poor so he could definitely afford the Syllable D9x ($43.17 via the app), but I was under the impression that we could get something kick ass for $20. I know jack squat about Bluetooth so I will soak in the advice of the experts like yourself. You make some awesome points as always. Would hate to get him something sub par with poor reception and junky battery life. Why is that neckband so huge on the EP52 vs the EP51?

Today I had my first BT earbud experience. Listened to my bother in laws Beats Powerbeats3 that he was raving about, and was totally unimpressed (but I did smile and say "Cool" so I didn't hurt his feelings). $6 KZE and $8 ZS3 absolutely destroy them IMO.

Since you are steering me away from the totally wireless kind, how good would something like the KX ZSE with BT Module/Cable be? What would the drawbacks be compared to the EP52 or even the EP51?

The EP51 is a few years old. It's a traditional bluetooth sports earphone, that has 2 pods connected to one another by a single wire, and that wire has a small control box somewhere in-line. They are similar to the Powerbeats only there is no earhook.

The EP52 is an evolved version, that has 2 pods each connected by a short wire to a central "neckband". The silicone neckband, which goes around the back of your neck and rests comfortably, contains the battery on 1 side side and the control box on the other side. When not in use, the earpods connect together via a magnet.

The EP52 has a regular nozzle and uses traditional eartips (and thus can tip roll), where the older EP51 uses a proprietary all-in-one combination silicone cover, earhook, and eartip.

I have not heard the sound of the EP51, but the sound of the EP52 is great if you like full size Beats headphones (vshaped with boosted bass). It has 8 hour battery life, bluetooth 4.2 and aptx, and no bluetooth lag. Nor sure of the battery life on the EP51.

Dec 4, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #4,912 of 31,832
The EP51 is a few years old. It's a traditional bluetooth sports earphone, that has 2 pods connected to one another by a single wire, and that wire has a small control box somewhere in-line. They are similar to the Powerbeats only there is no earhook.

The EP52 is an evolved version, that has 2 pods each connected by a short wire to a central "neckband". The silicone neckband, which goes around the back of your neck and rests comfortably, contains the battery on 1 side side and the control box on the other side. When not in use, the earpods connect together via a magnet.

The EP52 has a regular nozzle and uses traditional eartips (and thus can tip roll), where the older EP51 uses a proprietary all-in-one combination silicone cover, earhook, and eartip.

I have not heard the sound of the EP51, but the sound of the EP52 is great if you like full size Beats headphones (vshaped with boosted bass). It has 8 hour battery life, bluetooth 4.2 and aptx, and no bluetooth lag. Nor sure of the battery life on the EP51.

Battery life on the EP51 is 5-6 hours from my experience.

Dec 4, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #4,913 of 31,832
Hey guys. Looking for Xmas presents (finder fees may apply ). I tried to get some recomentions on a budget set IEM's a couple weeks ago but this thread was red hot and very active over what, I can't remember. Pretty Sure it was over a set of IEM's someone received.

Now that's it's cooled down some would you'all recommend..... maybe like a top 5 semi budget set of IEM's?

Budget $100 - $150

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #4,914 of 31,832
Receive my second pair of ZS5....pretty sure I got V1 and V2 now cause soundsignature is quite different as well as the little box was a white one. Can't decide the one I prefer, V1 feel smoother and more balanced but less in your face and detailed while V2 is brighter and cleaner.....will have to listen more as V2 have just 3 hours of listen.

Don't be too sure. I've got a v1 and recently got a second ZS5. From the sound, I assumed it was a v2. Nope. looking down the barrel there's only one BA. Ultimately I'll get the courage to dissect and see if anything explains the different sounds (different BA in the barrel etc.).

Dec 4, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #4,915 of 31,832
Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #4,916 of 31,832
Aren`t they just rebrand of old KZ ED10/11 stock? ED10/11 are more balanced sounding than most KZs but nothing special about SQ.

They're a lot warmer and bassier. I personally didn't like them at all. Good cable though. Much beefier than pretty much anything you'll find on a KZ, minus the fire hose on the ZN1 Mini of course :D

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #4,918 of 31,832
Just swapped the default cable with the new silver cable for the KZ ZS5

The KZ SZ5 just got a tad better!
recommended upgrade.
Not sure if i should still buy these 'eartip' replacements as well ? (alternative ones then the ones that came with them...)

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #4,919 of 31,832
Just swapped the default cable with the new silver cable for the KZ ZS5

The KZ SZ5 just got a tad better!
recommended upgrade.
Not sure if i should still buy these 'eartip' replacements as well ? (alternative ones then the ones that came with them...)
If you get a good seal and you like the amount of treble you get with the stock tips, no need to change them out.

If you want a bit more isolation, a bit less treble, better comfort or better ability to have the things stay in your ear, a set of New Bee foam tips is an inexpensive way to do it. The 4.9mm set fit the ZS5 perfectly.
Here is a link to the Amazon listing, (also available from Gearbest and Ali Express for even less money)
https://www.amazon.com/Earphone-New...071HT121F/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
If you decide you like them, several vendors on Ali Express sell foams in bulk very reasonably.

Dec 4, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #4,920 of 31,832
If you get a good seal and you like the amount of treble you get with the stock tips, no need to change them out.

If you want a bit more isolation, a bit less treble, better comfort or better ability to have the things stay in your ear, a set of New Bee foam tips is an inexpensive way to do it. The 4.9mm set fit the ZS5 perfectly.
Here is a link to the Amazon listing, (also available from Gearbest and Ali Express for even less money)
https://www.amazon.com/Earphone-New...071HT121F/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
If you decide you like them, several vendors on Ali Express sell foams in bulk very reasonably.
That's a superb answer, oyobass.
Do you have these tips? New BEe tips are these kind of the best for the ZS5, according to the folks around here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back