CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jan 28, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #22,936 of 31,833
Hi Guys. I promise I did a search first!

I'm looking for recommendations for a high isolation chifi IEM for use onstage. Standing next to percussionists on loud stages and wanting to preserve some remaining hearing.
I'm a trumpet player/singer, so I don't need lots of bass or really any sub bass. So I'm looking for a flat response.
Budget is about $60/£50 but would pay more (or less!) for the right product. If it's good hifi quality for personal use that would be nice too. Again, I listen to jazz and some acoustic/vocal/folk/indie so I'm not looking for big bass.

I've found hiSenior B5+. Sound profile seems good and price is OK... but this review says it's isolation is only 'average'. Is that right?
I have some Rock Zircons, which I like the sound of (don't need quite so much bass, though) but the isolation is not enough.

I do like a bargain, too!

Any thoughts?

I have the B5+ and it isolates very well as there is no venting. The Audiosense T180 pro may suit what you need as well as it's cheaper and isolates very well.

I have reviewed both on YouTube but phones suck for copying links. Search for them on YouTube and you will find them and my channel is Vortex Reviews.

Jan 28, 2020 at 6:41 AM Post #22,937 of 31,833

I'm looking for recommendations for a high isolation chifi IEM for use onstage. Standing next to percussionists on loud stages and wanting to preserve some remaining hearing.
I'm a trumpet player/singer, so I don't need lots of bass or really any sub bass. So I'm looking for a flat response.
Budget is about $60/£50 but would pay more (or less!) for the right product. If it's good hifi quality for personal use that would be nice too. Again, I listen to jazz and some acoustic/vocal/folk/indie so I'm not looking for big bass.

I've found hiSenior B5+. Sound profile seems good and price is OK... but this review says it's isolation is only 'average'. Is that right?
I have some Rock Zircons, which I like the sound of (don't need quite so much bass, though) but the isolation is not enough.

Any thoughts?
depending on how soon you need an answer i have a pair of those currently shipping to me. i am pretty excited 'cause i like the technicalities of an all ba arrangement, and i'm not a huge fan of pushed trebles or bass, which according to freq response graphs and reviews the b5+ avoids. another reason they looked good to me is i want better isolation than what i currently have for my walk to work, and most reviews i've seen say they have quite isolation for a universal iem (-18 to - 20 db). and if you want to pay more you can even get them as custom fitted (significantly cheaper than most customs), which will really kick up the isolation.

hopefully they show up soon, they've been stuck halfway for a while according to tracking, i'll give my impressions then.

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #22,938 of 31,833
I gave the 1more assistant app a second chance... however the same problem is happening. The time isn't being tracked correctly, I put my IEM's for burn-in through their app at 12:25 am, when I checked in the morning, I woke up to see that the app stopped the burn in. This leaves me with no other opinion other than that I have to babysit over my phone to push play and stop, which is actually quite annoying. I turn my phones screen off, i tracked the time points again, and obviously the time isn't being tracked correctly. From 00:25 to now (13:03) the app still shows there are 6 hours left for burn-in... that's insane, at least 8 hours of burn in have passed.... and the total time the first phase lasts is 12 hours.
Did anybody else have this issue with the app?

I could just download some white/pink noise etc. but from what I see the 1more app does the volume control and stuff like that for you... except it seems like the time isn't passing the same in the app. Who knows maybe the app was made in another universe where time is passing differently *shrug*

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #22,939 of 31,833
I gave the 1more assistant app a second chance... however the same problem is happening. The time isn't being tracked correctly, I put my IEM's for burn-in through their app at 12:25 am, when I checked in the morning, I woke up to see that the app stopped the burn in. This leaves me with no other opinion other than that I have to babysit over my phone to push play and stop, which is actually quite annoying. I turn my phones screen off, i tracked the time points again, and obviously the time isn't being tracked correctly. From 00:25 to now (13:03) the app still shows there are 6 hours left for burn-in... that's insane, at least 8 hours of burn in have passed.... and the total time the first phase lasts is 12 hours.

I could just download some white/pink noise etc. but from what I see the 1more app does the volume control and stuff like that for you... except it seems like the time isn't passing the same in the app. Who knows maybe the app was made in another universe where time is passing differently *shrug*
The app makes several breaks from burn-in during each cycle. Don't remember exactly how many or how long they are, but I think the later you're in the process, the more frequent are the breaks.
So when it says "10 hours left", it's going to be more than that due to the breaks.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #22,940 of 31,833
The app makes several breaks from burn-in during each cycle. Don't remember exactly how many or how long they are, but I think the later you're in the process, the more frequent are the breaks.
So when it says "10 hours left", it's going to be more than that due to the breaks.
Got it. Well in that case the app is useless. At least IMO, if I need to be present besides my phone to know when the breaks are and press play after each break, there is no point. The app should be automatic, meaning the breaks are made and stopped automatically. If I was to put on some music overnight, I could just leave my phone or laptop.. with this app I cannot do that.

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #22,941 of 31,833
Got it. Well in that case the app is useless. At least IMO, if I need to be present besides my phone to know when the breaks are and press play after each break, there is no point. The app should be automatic, meaning the breaks are made and stopped automatically. If I was to put on some music overnight, I could just leave my phone or laptop.. with this app I cannot do that.
I'm pretty sure it's automatic, at least in my case. It actually tells you, when the burn-in will resume. No need to press anything.

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #22,942 of 31,833
I'm pretty sure it's automatic, at least in my case. It actually tells you, when the burn-in will resume. No need to press anything.
I didn't notice anything. However I did notice that when 10 minutes passed in real time, that only 3 minutes passed in the app. So that doesn't help at all.

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #22,943 of 31,833
I didn't notice anything. However I did notice that when 10 minutes passed in real time, that only 3 minutes passed in the app. So that doesn't help at all.

Thats weird, they should be automatic burn in with some breaks every 2 hours and the app will continue to burn in again after the break. Something isnt right. Did you try with other phone?

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #22,944 of 31,833

Any thoughts?
the etymotic er2 series have great isolation and not much bass

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #22,945 of 31,833

Any thoughts?

My go to IEM for stage monitoring is the Audiosense T800 (30+ dB isolation), but that's out of your price range as it is $298 USD. Some Etymotics are supposedly quite flat and have good isolation, though I haven't tried any and they may be out of your budget too. And they require quite deep insertion and look uncomfortable (maybe ask the rest who have tried it).

A few other options I have tried for stage monitoring in the past, and are sub $100 are:
1) Hisenior B5+: Around 80ish USD during sales. Unvented 5 Knowles BA. It has about 15 - 20 dB isolation if u can get a good fit. It is N shaped (midcentric), with rolled off subbass/higher treble. It is hence not "flat response" as you require, as the mids especially lower mids are boosted and coloured. This makes it excellent for vocals, especially male vocals, so if you are a singer you will have a field day. Timbre and technicalities are excellent. It takes well to EQ so if u need to EQ while doing stage monitoring it takes EQ like a champ. I occasionally get a bit of ear discomfort with this for longer usage due to the B5+'s concha protrusion (YMMV as we have different ear anatomies, but I can counter this by using a longer nozzle eartip so as to lift the shell and concha protrusion away from my ear). The other issue is that the B5+'s soundstage is not the widest, but the imaging and instrument positioning are spot on, so it still is a good stage monitoring IEM in my opinion.
It is a great set for vocals, classical, jazz and indie/acoustic stuff if u listen to these on the side, but due to the lack of bass, maybe not so versatile for other music genres.

2) DUNU DM-480: Around 70ish USD. Dual dynamic driver, unvented. About 25 dB isolation. U shaped, wide soundstage. The bass is linear, so there is no obvious bass bump, but the subbass extends very low. It is not that prominent on the midbass, but the subbass gives a nice visceral rumble that is felt rather than heard. There's a slight treble roll off, but it captures the entire frequency response not too badly as such. The mids are a bit recessed, but not overly. Techincals are excellent for a pure DD set up, but the mids/treble timbre is not the best for a DD setup, so trumpets/vocals may occasionally sound a bit artificial. Very comfortable.

3) KZ ZS10 Pro: Around 30ish USD. 4BA + 1DD. About 15 dB isolation. V shaped, so maybe not the best for stage monitoring, but if u can EQ the mids up, it is not too bad in technicalities. It has a midbass bump so it is a bit on the bassier side and timbre is not the best, it has the famous KZ "steely timbre". But half of my bandmates use it due to the cheap price and good technicals. Very comfortable.

4) Jade Audio EA3: Around 40ish USD. 1 DD + 1 BA. About 20 dB isolation. U shaped, wide soundstage. Technicals not bad, but it is a bright IEM, so if you are treble sensitive, not the best option. Vocal timbre is a bit dry and thin, but not too bad for instruments. Also a linear bass with good subbass extension. Very comfortable.

If you don't mind using headphones, you can consider the Audiotechnica M40X, it is truly quite flat in the FR and is closed back, so isolation is not too bad. Technicals are above average. It is boring for normal music listening due to the flat FR, and some may not like using cans on stage as it looks like Princess Leia from Starwars LOL.

All the best for your search!

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #22,946 of 31,833
My go to IEM for stage monitoring is the Audiosense T800 (30+ dB isolation), but that's out of your price range as it is $298 USD. Some Etymotics are supposedly quite flat and have good isolation, though I haven't tried any and they may be out of your budget too. And they require quite deep insertion and look uncomfortable (maybe ask the rest who have tried it).

A few other options I have tried for stage monitoring in the past, and are sub $100 are:
1) Hisenior B5+: Around 80ish USD during sales. Unvented 5 Knowles BA. It has about 15 - 20 dB isolation if u can get a good fit. It is N shaped (midcentric), with rolled off subbass/higher treble. It is hence not "flat response" as you require, as the mids especially lower mids are boosted and coloured. This makes it excellent for vocals, especially male vocals, so if you are a singer you will have a field day. Timbre and technicalities are excellent. It takes well to EQ so if u need to EQ while doing stage monitoring it takes EQ like a champ. I occasionally get a bit of ear discomfort with this for longer usage due to the B5+'s concha protrusion (YMMV as we have different ear anatomies, but I can counter this by using a longer nozzle eartip so as to lift the shell and concha protrusion away from my ear). The other issue is that the B5+'s soundstage is not the widest, but the imaging and instrument positioning are spot on, so it still is a good stage monitoring IEM in my opinion.
It is a great set for vocals, classical, jazz and indie/acoustic stuff if u listen to these on the side, but due to the lack of bass, maybe not so versatile for other music genres.

2) DUNU DM-480: Around 70ish USD. Dual dynamic driver, unvented. About 25 dB isolation. U shaped, wide soundstage. The bass is linear, so there is no obvious bass bump, but the subbass extends very low. It is not that prominent on the midbass, but the subbass gives a nice visceral rumble that is felt rather than heard. There's a slight treble roll off, but it captures the entire frequency response not too badly as such. The mids are a bit recessed, but not overly. Techincals are excellent for a pure DD set up, but the mids/treble timbre is not the best for a DD setup, so trumpets/vocals may occasionally sound a bit artificial. Very comfortable.

3) KZ ZS10 Pro: Around 30ish USD. 4BA + 1DD. About 15 dB isolation. V shaped, so maybe not the best for stage monitoring, but if u can EQ the mids up, it is not too bad in technicalities. It has a midbass bump so it is a bit on the bassier side and timbre is not the best, it has the famous KZ "steely timbre". But half of my bandmates use it due to the cheap price and good technicals. Very comfortable.

4) Jade Audio EA3: Around 40ish USD. 1 DD + 1 BA. About 20 dB isolation. U shaped, wide soundstage. Technicals not bad, but it is a bright IEM, so if you are treble sensitive, not the best option. Vocal timbre is a bit dry and thin, but not too bad for instruments. Also a linear bass with good subbass extension. Very comfortable.

If you don't mind using headphones, you can consider the Audiotechnica M40X, it is truly quite flat in the FR and is closed back, so isolation is not too bad. Technicals are above average. It is boring for normal music listening due to the flat FR, and some may not like using cans on stage as it looks like Princess Leia from Starwars LOL.

All the best for your search!
Great recommendations! Although isnt the KZ ZSX and the CCA C12 better than the ZS10 Pro in like every way?

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #22,947 of 31,833
Great recommendations! Although isnt the KZ ZSX and the CCA C12 better than the ZS10 Pro in like every way?

Yeah many reviewers and headfiers have said the KZ ZSX and CCA C12 are upgrades over the ZS10 pro, especially in the area of timbre and technicals, though I never bought them, so can't recommend to the OP something I've not tried for stage monitoring.

Maybe someone who has tried them can advise on the ZSX's and CCA C12's isolation properties? And fit/comfort? (it may be just me, but the ZSX looks a bit uncomfortable to wear for longer sessions due to the protruding fin?).

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #22,948 of 31,833
Yeah many reviewers and headfiers have said the KZ ZSX and CCA C12 are upgrades over the ZS10 pro, especially in the area of timbre and technicals, though I never bought them, so can't recommend to the OP something I've not tried for stage monitoring.

Maybe someone who has tried them can advise on the ZSX's and CCA C12's isolation properties? And fit/comfort? (it may be just me, but the ZSX looks a bit uncomfortable to wear for longer sessions due to the protruding fin?).
Agree that it is hard to recommend something you havent tried, I havent tried them either but just hearing alot of praises from them. So OP should be looking at them instead of the ZS10Pro. At least if they want it and not the others. I would personally take the DM-480 if the sub-bass boost is ok.

Jan 28, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #22,949 of 31,833

Got an old AM/FM radio? Or old iPod or even old unused iPad or Android tablet?

That’s really all you need. Just plug it in and forget about it. Even if the battery won’t hold a charge just keep the power plugged in.

Other than that, the 1More app is 100% totally automated. You shouldn’t be having all of the problems and stress with the 1More app. You just plug it in and forget about it. That’s the whole point of the 1More app.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #22,950 of 31,833
Got an old AM/FM radio? Or old iPod or even old unused iPad or Android tablet?

That’s really all you need. Just plug it in and forget about it. Even if the battery won’t hold a charge just keep the power plugged in.

Other than that, the 1More app is 100% totally automated. You shouldn’t be having all of the problems and stress with the 1More app. You just plug it in and forget about it. That’s the whole point of the 1More app.
I already have a pretty decent amount of music and general use burn-in time, but I really want to give them the official noise burn in, and 1more seemed legit.. except I was having issues.
I will take your advice, install the 1more app on my old tablet and just like you said, forget about them.
Thanks for the advice Slat =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back