CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Oct 8, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #20,191 of 31,832
So back to the original question - what do you recommend in the sub-$50 range for 1) isolation, 2) comfort, and 3) audio quality (I prefer neutral reference)? And then, any better ideas for my situation/needs, or how to not just throw away my prior CIEM investment and dreams of returning to TOTL CIEMs on a family-with-5-kids budget?
The Audiosense T180 probably has the best isolation of my various IEMs (the ZS3E might be equivalent/better but I'm too lazy to dig it out to compare and the T180 sounds way better anyhow), sounds great (though not bassy, hi single BA), has a very slim form factor, and is quite comfortable.

Oct 8, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #20,192 of 31,832
So back to the original question - what do you recommend in the sub-$50 range for 1) isolation, 2) comfort, and 3) audio quality (I prefer neutral reference)? And then, any better ideas for my situation/needs, or how to not just throw away my prior CIEM investment and dreams of returning to TOTL CIEMs on a family-with-5-kids budget?

With an "L" shaped response (strong low Bass, but not booming Mid-Bass; not very recessed Midrange, clear Treble), I find the Pizen PianoTrio to have good isolation, and they're low profile (comfortable to wear while laying down to sleep).
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32825090018.html

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #20,193 of 31,832
Can you say something about the angle of the nozzle? And how much bigger is the V90 compared to the Semkarch? The Semkarch is nice and flush in my ear :)

Well, I would, but I can only listen to one pair, so.. Can you say something about the size and the nozzle anlge of the TFZ T2 and V90 aswell?

there is nothing wrong with the V90 nozzle, i dont have semkarch personally, just try them from a friend last time. Size isnt much different but i cant compare them side by side right now, but semkarch is like a shure type , you wear so the oval shape like sitting horizontally on your ear, when V90 is vertically (ear shape). V90 dont have fit issue as far as i remember, there is no or seldom report about fit issue so i guess fit is pretty good

Oct 8, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #20,194 of 31,832
This one I honestly don`t get.
Yeah, it sounds fun and good for money but considering "splashy" highs (cymbals are way overdone and "artificial"), fixed springy rubbery cable and heavy weight - not worth imo.
I`ve had many of them for gifting and modding and there are also different batches/revisions (this is not new with KZ) that sound slightly different. Same thing with highs though.
Among KZ`s, I think ATE(ATR), which also has at least 5 revisions, is littlebit better bet.
But... I`d rather keep that money, collect and take BL-03 or VE BIE and call it done. While MH755 sounds also awesome (legit) there is huge risk getting fake one and it has fixed short J-cable.
This is just my subjective opinion about low-budget. Depending on needs, fit and sound preferences, choices may vary but I still wouldn`t guide ppl to ED9 at this point of chi-fi times.
MH755 is overblown IMO, but since there are so many iems, and majority of them are not really tuned (or to be considered tuned in a good tuning sense) is why MH755 looks like such a great value. MH755 have it's flaw like the sharp 3k. MH755 is not really that close to a Harman curve.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #20,195 of 31,832
I don't ride a motorcycle but I do know there are quite a few Bluetooth integrated helmet options out there these days... what's the advantage of IEMs under a helmet? Is it just about sound quality? or battery life on long rides?

I hope the guys using or thinking of using IEM´s whilst riding a motorcycle reconsider for their own and everyone else´s safety, in Spain where I live, you cannot even ride a bicycle whilst using headphones / IEM´s.

I agree. I would not want the isolation nor would I want to be lost in music while driving any type of vehicle.

i do use an IEM for motorcycle use, and i personally think it's a necessity for me.
i use IEM under my helmet for noise reduction/blocking, taking phone calls if necessary, and listen to background music (in that order of priority)

using IEMs while riding in fact help me focus more on the road, because it reduce ambient rumbles (the street noise level in my city is brutal) and makes the important sound cues (horns, people, other engines) more prominent.
same goes as between driving a car with windows down and up. windows down is more distracting for me.

as long as i stick to the one most cardinal rule: never play music than the sound of my engine. most of the time i end up with volume that still allows me to talk to someone next to me.

one other thing: i personally think it's safer to use TWS than wired IEMs, even with bluetooth dongles. that piece of wire, no matter how short, is a hazard, and can snag on the neck or other places. no wires is better solution

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #20,196 of 31,832
as long as i stick to the one most cardinal rule: never play music than the sound of my engine.

one other thing: i personally think it's safer to use TWS than wired IEMs, even with bluetooth dongles. that piece of wire, no matter how short, is a hazard, and can snag on the neck or other places. no wires is better solution
Great thought on the wires - I actually hadn't yet considered the safety implications there! My solution will be to shorten the cables and plug directly into my helmet Bluetooth module.

And I totally respect concerns from mbwilson111 and Narayan23 about isolation while driving. Consider that being inside a closed vehicle is already giving you a significant amount of isolation. Music from the radio can easily be played too loud and mask important sirens and horns. For comparison, drive 70+ miles per hour and roll down all the windows - this is similar to the sound inside a motorcycle helmet. Without the isolation of your vehicle you have more direct exposure to sirens and horns. You may also find after a few minutes that the road and wind noise is just too much, and find yourself seeking the comfort of the same isolation that I have from earplugs by rolling up the windows. My intent is for IEM to allow me to have a 'car radio' inside my isolation, rather than trying to blast music from outside the 'car'. Sure, I could turn the volume up enough to mask important sirens and horns, and I assure you that is not my plan :).

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #20,197 of 31,832
Just did the mmcx mod on my Sony mh755.. looks nice with the Tin T2 cable. Only burnt myself twice :p
That looks nice. How do you get MMCX connectors on a MH755 and in the shell?

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #20,198 of 31,832

There is a pictorial guide on reddit.

I did a pair slightly differently a short while ago.

20190811_204739.jpg
20190811_205205.jpg

Oct 9, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #20,199 of 31,832

The mmcx connectors are the exact diameter of the strain relief hole so you just slip them right in...
The ones I used came with a nut to screw it into the shell from the inside but it was too fiddly for me so I just glued them in place. With my poor soldering skills and dodgy gluing I wouldn't want to be literally throwing them around/in bags etc but I used them for a good hour or so this morning and they felt fine. I'm also not going to dare change the cables much for fear of pulling out the connector, I think I'm happy with the T2 cable for now at least

Oct 9, 2019 at 5:59 AM Post #20,200 of 31,832
The mmcx connectors are the exact diameter of the strain relief hole so you just slip them right in...
The ones I used came with a nut to screw it into the shell from the inside but it was too fiddly for me so I just glued them in place. With my poor soldering skills and dodgy gluing I wouldn't want to be literally throwing them around/in bags etc but I used them for a good hour or so this morning and they felt fine. I'm also not going to dare change the cables much for fear of pulling out the connector, I think I'm happy with the T2 cable for now at least

Do you have a link to those connectors that fit exactly? What type of glue did you use?

Oct 9, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #20,201 of 31,832

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191009-210052.png
    Screenshot_20191009-210052.png
    463.2 KB · Views: 0
Oct 9, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #20,202 of 31,832
Can you say something about the angle of the nozzle? And how much bigger is the V90 compared to the Semkarch? The Semkarch is nice and flush in my ear :)

Well, I would, but I can only listen to one pair, so.. Can you say something about the size and the nozzle anlge of the TFZ T2 and V90 aswell?

Both fit very well, with no fancy design or shape in play. I guess we could call the angle: standard.
See the V90:

IMG_20191009_055509871.png
IMG_20191009_055644403.png
IMG_20191009_055703998.png

Oct 9, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #20,203 of 31,832
The Audiosense T180 probably has the best isolation of my various IEMs (the ZS3E might be equivalent/better but I'm too lazy to dig it out to compare and the T180 sounds way better anyhow), sounds great (though not bassy, hi single BA), has a very slim form factor, and is quite comfortable.

I probably second the t180 with the addition of westone tips, the included ones are a bit stiff if you want to size up for a tight seal. I would remove the damper since even with it removed they have rolled off highs. It is a very even performer with excellent mids lacking a touch of detail. Kbear F1 is a bit similar if you change tips, maybe spiral dots with foam mods. I haven't tried the bcd hifi but it looks like that could be in the region as well.

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #20,205 of 31,832
Today my Sony mh755 iems arrived. Ordered them in 28.8 for 5€. Long delivery or what? And I assumed that I'd get fakes. BUT I'm positively surprised, these are mindblowing nice for 5€! Genuine or not, they sound fantastic! How balanced sound signature! And soundstage has great width and depth, and imaging! Details! Seriously what!? These sound so beyond what I was expecting. It's a Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back