CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Sep 17, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #19,801 of 31,833
The CNT-1 is a pain in the bum. The stock eartips like to randomly pop off like bottle caps onto the ground. The stock cable is super difficult and sticky to deal with as well. It reminds me of another bad girlfriend.

They may sound good but not as great as my Audiosense earphones even thought the CNT-1 can pull out details out of electronic music that is over the top incredible, I still prefer Audiosense.
If you aren't opposed to foam, the New Bee/RIYO from Amazon might help. Also, I never used the stock cable. I had a Linsoul Tripowin C8 hanging around; they're very pliable, which makes for a comfortable wrap around the ears.

Semkarch.jpg

Sep 17, 2019 at 6:27 AM Post #19,802 of 31,833
If you like steely sounding music.

Have you heard the ZSX? I am not sure exactly what "steely" sounding music would sound like but I have several KZs that sound good. These are the KZs that I have. Not as many as some people have.

KZ ED9 - black - with dull (not the shiny) filter
KZ ED16 - translucent black - with ZSA copper braid cable, spinfit tips
KZ ZS3E - black - balanced cable (on my cheapest KZ..lol)
KZ ZS6 - green (this was my first KZ and is special to me)
KZ ZS10 - translucent red - TRN silver replacement cable
KZ ZSN - purple/silver
KZ ZSN -cyan - balanced cable (my newest KZ)
KZ ZSR - translucent green
KZ ZST - carbon- foam mod - TRN black replacement cable

It seems people who bought the CNT earlier on the whole have no issues but people who bought end of line ones have had problems with cables falling apart

Are there differences among the cables that you know of? The stock cable is fine for me. What part of it falls apart?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 6:39 AM Post #19,803 of 31,833
Have you heard the ZSX? I am not sure exactly what "steely" sounding music would sound like but I have several KZs that sound good. These are the KZs that I have. Not as many as some people have.

KZ ZSN - purple/silver
KZ ZST - carbon- foam mod - TRN black replacement cable

Are there differences among the cables that you know of? The stock cable is fine for me. What part of it falls apart?

I can confirm ZSX arent steely, if any they are very minor on higher notes, very different timbre from ZS10 PRO and many past KZs

Sep 17, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #19,804 of 31,833
I can confirm ZSX arent steely, if any they are very minor on higher notes, very different timbre from ZS10 PRO and many past KZs

I actually feel no need to add more KZs to my collection. For one thing I have the CCA C12... and many others of various brands. I just wondered how he "knew" they were steely or why he thought all KZs were steely (still don't know what that would even sound like).

Sep 17, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #19,805 of 31,833

KZ ZSN - purple/silver
KZ ZST - carbon- foam mod ...
ZS10 pro would be most "steely" from recent KZs that I have/know. To me it serves a good purpose for edginess.
Once again, since AS10, I do quite enjoy this "steely" KZ BA sound for strings. It is grainy, edgy (likely of less dampened BAs) but I do prefer it to Knowles (that I have in Fiio) for strings.
Especially with a DD, strings sound like a good recording of strings to me, and I understand that it would a preferred rendering to most people.

I realized recently - I miss those 30095 in AS12.

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #19,806 of 31,833
Well I am super interested in your take on these compared to your other IEMs esp No3, and Nine Tails. I have been looking to upgrade to a better single dynamic IEM but am so pleased with the CNT's that I don't know if the $100-$150 market now is a big enough jump to take.

Hi @BadReligionPunk , i just received my Semkarch CNT1 today and I'm still burning it in and doing tests, but I'm impressed with it.
From initial impressions, I would say keep the CNT1 as the TFZ No. 3 and Nine Tails are sidegrades with marginal improvements in terms of sound quality. Actually this is not surprising as the CNT1 was original retailing at close to 100 USD, which is where these are other 2 are currently retailing too.

From briefly comparing No. 3 to CNT 1 (I'm using predominantly black filters on CNT1 with stock tips):
Bass is still better in quality and quantity on the No. 3.
Clarity, details, instrument separation are on par IMHO.
The soundstage is wider on No. 3.
CNT 1 has more recessed mids than No. 3. No. 3 has brighter treble.

Toneking Ninetails vs CNT1:
Timbre slightly better on ninetails, and of course ninetails can be tuned with filters.
Soundstage wider on Ninetails. Ninetails slightly better in clarity, details, instrument separation.
Mids about equally recessed on both. CNT1 has brighter treble.

The CNT1 is a superb recommendation from you!
If i had gotten it earlier, I would have skipped the No. 3.
The Nine Tails I would still keep due to their customizable tuning filters and organic timbre.
I think if u wanna get a more significant upgrade (for single DD IEMs) on the CNT1, it might have to be something at the price range of the Tanchjim oxygen, KXXS or the upcoming Drop JVC HA FDX01.

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #19,807 of 31,833
Hi @BadReligionPunk , i just received my Semkarch CNT1 today and I'm still burning it in and doing tests, but I'm impressed with it.
From initial impressions, I would say keep the CNT1 as the TFZ No. 3 and Nine Tails are sidegrades with marginal improvements in terms of sound quality. Actually this is not surprising as the CNT1 was original retailing at close to 100 USD, which is where these are other 2 are currently retailing too.

From briefly comparing No. 3 to CNT 1 (I'm using predominantly black filters on CNT1 with stock tips):

Timbre slightly better on ninetails, and of course ninetails can be tuned with filters.
Soundstage wider on Ninetails. Ninetails slightly better in clarity, details, instrument separation.

The Nine Tails I would still keep due to their customizable tuning filters and organic timbre.
I think if u wanna get a more significant upgrade (for single DD IEMs) on the CNT1, it might have to be something at the price range of the Tanchjim oxygen, KXXS or the upcoming Drop JVC HA FDX01.

nice comparison! so from the 3 nine tails is the best overall?
btw soundstage is wider on no3 rather than CNT1? they must be narrow and intimate then as no 3 soundstage isn't wide / average

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #19,808 of 31,833
Have you heard the ZSX? I am not sure exactly what "steely" sounding music would sound like but I have several KZs that sound good.

The KZ ZS10 could be described as steely I guess. They were my first ChiFi IEM and I love them for that but next to my other stuff they sound terrible. The timbre is just wrong to my ears. Great detail but it always sounds like a recording and not music.

The cable on my CNT was really tonally inconsistent. Then one of the channels stopped working altogether. Finally as I took the cable off the MMCx on the other channel just disintegrated. I've noted the only complaints are from latecomers to the CNT party. Almost as if some of the sellers were knocking out b grade stock for cheap towards the end. Lots of people have had no issues but enough had issues to be relevant. Not the worst QC problem ever. Just annoying.

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #19,809 of 31,833
nice comparison! so from the 3 nine tails is the best overall?
btw soundstage is wider on no3 rather than CNT1? they must be narrow and intimate then as no 3 soundstage isn't wide / average

Yeah they are all sidegrades, but IMHO the ninetails is better by virtue of it having customizable filters so it is like having multiple IEMs with one purchase.
No. 3 I felt was average in soundstage and I thought the CNT is slightly narrower than the No. 3.

The KZ ZS10 could be described as steely I guess. They were my first ChiFi IEM and I love them for that but next to my other stuff they sound terrible. The timbre is just wrong to my ears. Great detail but it always sounds like a recording and not music.

The cable on my CNT was really tonally inconsistent. Then one of the channels stopped working altogether. Finally as I took the cable off the MMCx on the other channel just disintegrated. I've noted the only complaints are from latecomers to the CNT party. Almost as if some of the sellers were knocking out b grade stock for cheap towards the end. Lots of people have had no issues but enough had issues to be relevant. Not the worst QC problem ever. Just annoying.

The stock CNT1 cable is horrible, I had enough and hid it in my storeroom after 5 min of using it. It has the worst microphonics of my current budget CHIFI stock cables. It is quite stiff too. And to top it off, due to the funny funnel design of the cable, I had a hard time removing the cable from the CNT1. Had to end up using pliers to remove it, I think I scratched the cable connector (no harm to the CNT1 thankfully).

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #19,810 of 31,833
... or why he thought all KZs were steely (still don't know what that would even sound like).

My interpretation of "steely" is a direct comparison to Klipsch's RP speaker line; with their horn tweeter and metallic woofers, the sound signature (with no EQ) can sound thin, with a dash of sibilance/brightness, as you go from vocals up to the cymbals

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #19,811 of 31,833

Thank-you so much for pointing this out. I have a CNT1 on the way, and I have been thinking about the No. 3 as my next purchase. Primarily because of sound isolation.

Do you find that the No. 3 isolates noticeably better? If so, there is a reason to get it as a transit IEM. I understand that the Ninetails has weaker isolation.

Sep 17, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #19,813 of 31,833
So like a weirdo I've ordered two pairs of IEMs expecting to hate both. The **** and KBear F1 (generic driver) have just turned up. I've only listened to the KBear and only briefly but I'm surprised by it. It's not supermegaawesome but definitely has some merit. A lovely smooth sound with a fair amount of detail compared to my favoured DD IEMs. I thought I hated BA. Turns out I may have been slightly premature.

As for the others, straight out of the box "omg these are awful - why the hell does anyone rate these. *swaps tips for foams* oh that's why. Definitely trade blows with the BL-01. Couldn't say yet which I prefer.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #19,814 of 31,833

Nice write-up. I love the CNT-1, and I've got a No. 3 arriving any day now, so I guess I'd better get a Ninetails too, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back