Best starter Headphones/AMP/DAC?
Apr 14, 2011 at 8:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

joshjacobs

New Head-Fier
Okay. I am new to this whole headphone thing.

I enjoy listening to Electronic, some rap, and even some rock here and there.

I basically want a overall good pair of headphones.

Around the 100 to 200 dollar price range.

Thanks.

---

Also, I need a good portable AMP and a nice DAC. It could be a AMP/DAC, it doesn't really matter.

Thanks again.

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 6
x2 on the yulong u100, check out this review for some more info http://www.headfonia.com/the-new-recommendation-the-yulong-u100-usb-dac/ - the site also has some good stuff to say about the audinst as well

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #5 of 6
I hope its okay if I jump in here.  I believe the Hifiman, Yulong and Audinst are wall powered.  I've not used them but was interested.  The OP mentioned "portable" but I don't know if that means USB powered or just small enough to carry.  I have just received a Maverick Audio D1, and while it isn't portable, seems to be a good unit for the money.  The Fiio units seem USB powered.  True?  I also am still interested in a portable unit so I also appreciate any and all advice.  Thanks.

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
I hope its okay if I jump in here.  I believe the Hifiman, Yulong and Audinst are wall powered.  I've not used them but was interested.  The OP mentioned "portable" but I don't know if that means USB powered or just small enough to carry.  I have just received a Maverick Audio D1, and while it isn't portable, seems to be a good unit for the money.  The Fiio units seem USB powered.  True?  I also am still interested in a portable unit so I also appreciate any and all advice.  Thanks.

The Audinst has the ability to accept wall power or USB power. Apparently using the external PSU will give some more juice for the amplifier section, in case you are using some 300 ohm Sennheisers or something. But I know several people who use it with a netbook in transportable setups, and they love it. 

Obviously there are other options as well, just none that I have any experience with. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back