Best SS amp money can buy for HD650
Nov 26, 2021 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

cmarsili

New Head-Fier
Hello All,

I've searched quite a lot and although I see some treads on HD800s I am having a hard time finding a TOTL amp for the HD650 for the type of use I plan for those headphones.

My idea is as following. I am planning to go for a Abyss 1266TC and a Formula S/Powerman for music.

Favorite Genres: Metal, Rock, Classic Rock, Electronic (Jean Micheal..Trendmoller...) Others (Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Micheal Jackson, Rush, Yes, Sting...)

The HD650 is mostly going to be used in the TV room for gaming (I play everything, but mostly cinematic games PS5 and XBOX Series S - Farcry 5, Las of Us, Future coming Elden Ring and similar games) and I love watching movies so whatever amp can make the HD650 punchy (trying to feel the explosions not only hearing them) and cinematic would what I am aiming for (in stereo of course no need for surround simulation - I had a home theater room in a previous house so anything that tries to simulate it on the headphone sounds awful to be, very high level stereo sound is perfect for me in this case). No need for MIC, I'm a loner when gaming.

The DAC is D90SE (but if you think based on the intended use that it needs another one please let me know)

So here are some amps I found and would like to know your opinion and other recommendations:

1. Formula S/Powerman: I can get that ( since I will get the Abyss) and be done but at some point I would not have it sitting next to the TV so perhaps the next option for a stand alone Game/Movie rig for the HD650 would be more ideal for the long run. But I assume this combo would be majestic with HD650, please correct me if I am wrong (given the intended use).
2. Violectric HPA V550 PRO: I heard it tames the highs on the HD800s without EQ (which given the fact it will be use for TV and gaming I can't PEQ like I do using roon for music)
3. SPL Phonitor X with DAC: Similar to Violectric but since the sound is movie I wouldn't need the topping and a integrated DAC on the Phonitor would be good enough (no need fo DSP, MQA and the other stuff used for music)
4. drop + thx aaa™ 789: I suppose this is on the low end of the spectrum but seems to be more "suitable"? Does not seem to be well built and would need a DAC here was well, would the topping be ok? I was planning to use it with the music rig (which I said in the beggining can be placed on the TV room as well for a all in one purpose gear)

Again, I want my HD650 to sound at its best and like the title says there is no budget limit, but of course we can be sensible when recommending right, reason I put the drop on the list. I did look into the Schiit but not sure if they are getting the best out of the HD650 for the intended use.

I would love to hear your thoughts and experience in regards to the subject.

Thanks all in advance.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 13
RME ADI-2 probably. You can use it's features to adjust sound as you like.
Thanks I will check that one and perhaps include it on the list for possible DAC with EQ. As an amplifier, how does it compare to the ones I listed, would be as good, better or worse? Or should be use as DAC only? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #4 of 13
As an amp (and also as a DAC) it's completely free from coloration like the Drop THX and probably the Violectric. For some other people this is "boring", but for me this is how it should be. It also provides a lot of DSP features to color the sound to suit individual taste.
It doesn't provide the same power as a dedicated amp, but it has more than enough for the HD650. It's unlikely that power won't be sufficient, but if that case should appear the Drop THX or Monolith THX amps should provide enough clean and distortion-free power to drive almost anything.

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 13
Ok, so to my understanding the RME by itself should bring the best on the HD650 and the ability to adjust a neutral DAC/Amp is really usefull as well. For more power if needed I should go for Monolith THX (but according to you this would add coloration to an neutral DAC/Amp system). Is that correct or the Monolith is neutral as well?

Nov 26, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 13
Many thanks for the recommendations and the responses. I am going ahead with the RME DAC FS. I might add the Monolith later just because I have a XLR balanced cable for the HD650 but don't want to loose the ability to control volume using a remote (luxury problems now). That RME is quite convenient and flexible, super tip. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nov 27, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 13
Great combination. I just picked up the RME ADI-2 Pro Fs BE AD/DA Headphone Amp to go with the Sennheiser HD650’s.
the RME very easily drives the Sennheisers. If the RME DAC Fs is the same, then the EQ/Loudness/Gain features are fantastic. You can get some nice-decent bass thump from the Sennheiser even though it really isn’t their forte.

Nov 27, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 13
I just ordered it. Should be in on Monday. Can't wait, should be fun. And I might use it as a DAC only on the music setup for a while. Great tip.

Nov 28, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 13
The HD650 is mostly going to be used in the TV room for gaming (I play everything, but mostly cinematic games PS5 and XBOX Series S - Farcry 5, Las of Us, Future coming Elden Ring and similar games) and I love watching movies so whatever amp can make the HD650 punchy (trying to feel the explosions not only hearing them) and cinematic would what I am aiming for (in stereo of course no need for surround simulation - I had a home theater room in a previous house so anything that tries to simulate it on the headphone sounds awful to be, very high level stereo sound is perfect for me in this case). No need for MIC, I'm a loner when gaming.

No amplifier can just override physics, ie, the HD600 isn't producing enough very low bass as to be felt much less be felt because they're just outside your ears.

Best chance for feeling the bass is something like an LCD-2, since I've not only felt a little bass on my earlobes, but that's because if you feed it enough low bass, you can even see the cups physically moving. You still won't really feel it like how playing AC/DC through a pair of Focal Stella Utopia or Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage - let alone watching The Dark Knight or Saving Private Ryan or Star Wars with something like a pair of 15in Velodyne subwoofers would (or, heck, that hatchback at the parking lot that shatters its windshield and people cheer it on).

Again, I want my HD650 to sound at its best and like the title says there is no budget limit, but of course we can be sensible when recommending right, reason I put the drop on the list. I did look into the Schiit but not sure if they are getting the best out of the HD650 for the intended use.

"Best" here won't involve feeling the bass unfortunately. Like I said, at best you have to get something else with more low bass. Even a HiFiMan HE400i has more low bass than an HD650 (vis a vis 1000hz), just that the HD650 is smoother above 1000hz and stronger between 50hz and 120hz, so you hear the latter a lot more, whereas the HE400i doesn't boost where the audible (though not really palpable) bass is and takes a further hit to that being audible due to the strong response at the top end of the range.

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #11 of 13
No amplifier can just override physics, ie, the HD600 isn't producing enough very low bass as to be felt much less be felt because they're just outside your ears.

Best chance for feeling the bass is something like an LCD-2, since I've not only felt a little bass on my earlobes, but that's because if you feed it enough low bass, you can even see the cups physically moving. You still won't really feel it like how playing AC/DC through a pair of Focal Stella Utopia or Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage - let alone watching The Dark Knight or Saving Private Ryan or Star Wars with something like a pair of 15in Velodyne subwoofers would (or, heck, that hatchback at the parking lot that shatters its windshield and people cheer it on).

"Best" here won't involve feeling the bass unfortunately. Like I said, at best you have to get something else with more low bass. Even a HiFiMan HE400i has more low bass than an HD650 (vis a vis 1000hz), just that the HD650 is smoother above 1000hz and stronger between 50hz and 120hz, so you hear the latter a lot more, whereas the HE400i doesn't boost where the audible (though not really palpable) bass is and takes a further hit to that being audible due to the strong response at the top end of the range.
Ok, that makes sense. I will give the HE400i a try. It seems to be very light and hopefully on the confortable side for long hours of use.

Looking at the specs the recommended DAC I just bought should suffice as well. Then I will run both side by side.

Also I got the hybrid cups for the hd650 let's see how that feels and sound.

I guess I'm asking too much but anything audiophile level is better that small speakers or soundbars. Some of those games music is really high level lately not tension the movies. That cowboy bebop jazz theme music background was great to listen on the headphones.

The only thing music wise that gives me that physical punch feeling was the Abyss 1266 tc with formula s but aging gaming and watching movies on the. Talking about over kill. Not to mention confortable level for hours of use. But hey never know. 😁😁😅😅 (Diana V2 maybe...🤔😆)

Audeze does make a audiophile can for gaming LCD-GX but although I love the signature for the purpose they were so heavy and uncomfortable. The campling force 😢and don't think it got good reviews.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #12 of 13
Ok, that makes sense. I will give the HE400i a try.

It won't sound anything like the HD650 though given what I said above about how the overall response balance goes. It just gets you more very low bass, but in terms of music for example some will perceive it has less because it doesn't boost some of the bass (which losing a lot of the rest; just that others boost where audible bass is) not to mention the stronger spikes in the treble can make the audible bass harder to hear.

I guess I'm asking too much but anything audiophile level is better that small speakers or soundbars. Some of those games music is really high level lately not tension the movies. That cowboy bebop jazz theme music background was great to listen on the headphones.

Depends on whether you need to locate the sound sources. I still prefer my Logitech 5.1 speakers for gaming just so anything behind me sounds like it really is behind me. Saved me a few times just because some other guy can't be bothered to hold the left Shift and ran around the place. Or even on Total War - it doesn't help me win, but hearing hooves behind me just before I take a lance through the chest is at least some kind of fun.

The only thing music wise that gives me that physical punch feeling was the Abyss 1266 tc with formula s but aging gaming and watching movies on the. Talking about over kill. Not to mention confortable level for hours of use. But hey never know. 😁😁😅😅 (Diana V2 maybe...🤔😆)

I personally never got enough of a "kick" out of headphones, even from the LCD-2.

Then again my reference for that "kick" are Focal Polyglass 165v2 midwoofers and a 10in subwoofer with time alignment in the DSP (in my car) or my old, pre-headphone system with a Wharfedale Pacific Pi10 driven by a NAD304 or stuff I don't own but listened to like Focal Stella Utopias and the Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage, so maybe what I'd count for a "kick" is more like how a horse than a human.

Audeze does make a audiophile can for gaming LCD-GX but although I love the signature for the purpose they were so heavy and uncomfortable. The campling force 😢and don't think it got good reviews.

Haven't tried that one but if that's already heavy for you the LCD-2 will be even worse.

Nov 28, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #13 of 13
It won't sound anything like the HD650 though given what I said above about how the overall response balance goes. It just gets you more very low bass, but in terms of music for example some will perceive it has less because it doesn't boost some of the bass (which losing a lot of the rest; just that others boost where audible bass is) not to mention the stronger spikes in the treble can make the audible bass harder to hear.
For now I will see how it goes with the RME and the HD650 check it with movie nights and games.
I personally never got enough of a "kick" out of headphones, even from the LCD-2.

Then again my reference for that "kick" are Focal Polyglass 165v2 midwoofers and a 10in subwoofer with time alignment in the DSP (in my car) or my old, pre-headphone system with a Wharfedale Pacific Pi10 driven by a NAD304 or stuff I don't own but listened to like Focal Stella Utopias and the Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage, so maybe what I'd count for a "kick" is more like how a horse than a human.
I know what you mean. Nothing replaces the feeling of a well setup home theater acoustically ready room with 2 klipsh 15 inch subwoofers DSPed to perfection. You feel the explosion rather than hear it. I guess I just want more immersion, clarity and performance when using the headphones for those media sources.

Depends on whether you need to locate the sound sources. I still prefer my Logitech 5.1 speakers for gaming just so anything behind me sounds like it really is behind me. Saved me a few times just because some other guy can't be bothered to hold the left Shift and ran around the place. Or even on Total War - it doesn't help me win, but hearing hooves behind me just before I take a lance through the chest is at least some kind of fun.
My gaming are more lonely types. I don't do online or competitive. My games are mostly story based, immersive and cinematic. Like Last of Us, UNCHARTED, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, but I also play Bloodbourne, Dark Souls, Demon Souls. So usually the more immersive and the more detailed, clear and responsive the headphone is the more I loose myself into those games. Gun shots feel real, background noises and micro details like breathing or a chain being dragged by an enemy in a dostance on dark games feels so macabre increasing tension. That is what I'm expecting using audiophile headphones. Those consumer game headsets don't give me that, too much coloration and some frequencies/details are usually lost.
HD650 does give me those details and it is very confortable. Maybe with RME I can equalize it so it sounds closer to what I'm looking for but I guess I will just have to compromise on physical bass here. Which is OK if nothing else is there that can improve that or come closer.
Awesome feedbacks BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back