Best source for hard rock/metal.
Jan 19, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #91 of 130
Quote:

I'll have to check and see if he has the SNAIC (din connector?) and extra puck, as well as the original packaging.

This is what you need: Source end DIN with RCA SNAIC. I hope your CDX still have the DIN output in addition to the phono outs.
ironmandin2.jpg

Jan 19, 2005 at 6:53 AM Post #92 of 130
I sent your cable picture to the person I'm buying the player from. From the photo in the original ad, it looks like the din is there too ( http://members.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1105984472.jpg ), although it's blurry to see it. Odd that I can't see the power supply connection, but he says the option to add it is there.

No original box or manual for sure, possibly only the one puck. He has to go through the box it came in to find out what is there. I'll have to get another manual from Naim NA for sure, and maybe a second puck if he doesn't have one. Crossing my fingers that the cable you mentioned is there.

Thanks again Kuma...you really are a tremendous and selfless help. If you're ever in the San Francisco Bay Area, I owe you a good lunch.

Jan 19, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #93 of 130
Quote:

From the photo in the original ad, it looks like the din is there too ( http://members.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1105984472.jpg ), although it's blurry to see it. Odd that I can't see the power supply connection, but he says the option to add it is there.

Ok. good. All CDXs have a DIN out for connecion to an XPS or XPS2.
About the DIN cable, a stock cable is DIN/DIN. Not DIN/RCA. Any Naim dealer or NANA can terminate the other ends with RCAs.
It is a good idea to disable one of the outputs you are not using. Altho, it might not have that feature with this modded unit. Ask NANA.

Regarding a puck, it is probably a good idea to get an extra from NANA as these rubber rings wear out and start to skip. And it's not recommneded to leave a CD with a puck in it when it's not in use. It wears out rubber rings faster.
puck.jpg

Looks like the seller is not using the original Naim stock power cord. If not, buy one from NANA. ( I think NANA charges around 15 bucks? ). Most aftermarket power cords do not work well with a naim kit. ( I've been there to my dismay )
rolleyes.gif

All I can say is that I hope the seller took care of his gear well. A lack of box or manual worries me. Does he still have a remote?

Jan 19, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #94 of 130
He does have a remote.

Here's what he said about what he has:

"Only one puck came with the player that I know of-there is some stuff in the box I never opened. Packaging yes, but it was for a preamp I think. I know I didn't get an owner's manual for the cdx. Got a manual for a preamp. I drove up to meet Allen at San Juan Oaks where I picked it up. We tried to trade manuals but gave up. Some guy in SoCal got the pre w/ the cdx manual. Rca's and DIN (I think that is the uncovered input(?). There is some sort of greycord I never used in the box as well. Not sure about the RCA SNAIC. What is that? Maybe the cord. I was only interested in the unit because it had the factory mod rca's and the ability to add the xps (which I never did). I'll pull it back out tomorrow and go through the stuff carefully.

I screwed in the transport screw. So it's ready to go....I'll be more helpful in the am...."

He bought the unit less than two years ago (2/03) from a guy with a lot of Naim gear access, from his description the guy sounded like a hardcore Naimer. It's one of three players the current owner uses, and he has told me it works perfectly.

I think that the owner prior to the seller having done the dampening is a good thing, and I've questioned the seller about transport and such without issue.

My general instinct is that this is a player with reasonably light use, and although the box/manual and such aren't around, it isn't necessarily indicative of an ill-maintained model.

We'll see if my instincts are right or not....I hope they are.

Jan 20, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #102 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
Kieron,

Ah.
So you went ahead with one anyway.

Good luck.

Yeah, I figured I would give it a try, I got a used one. If I do not like it, I will just sell it, they have very good resale value. Very little risk involved if you ask me.

Jan 21, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #103 of 130
blitzula,

I have no idea what the current used pricing on the XPS.

BTW, I don't recommend the black Burndy with the Olive kit. ( you are better off with an older grey one with the CDX )

The Burndy is a unbilical lead that connects between the CDX and XPS.

Please read the manual when you connect 'em.

CORRECTION:
CDX comes with the Black Burndy. Should have the label taht says 'NAXPS'

CDX2 comes with the 'Super' Black Burndy with NASXPS. And this is the one that does sound bright with your CDX and should not pay extra for it.

Sorry for the confusion. This is what happens when I post while I'm working.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 21, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #105 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
Thanks Kuma. Why don't you like the Bundy with the CDX?

When Naim launed the new Reference Series few years back, they also introduced a 'Black' Burndy along with the new kit. ( old one is grey )

I found that the new Black Burndy is much too much open sounding with the older Olive gear ( which CDX is one of 'em ).

The older Burndy is more forgiving and less revealing which I found it better suited with the older kit. With the Black Burndy, you are going to hear more of shortcomings with your source than complementing it.

You can try both ways. But certainly, I will not pay extra for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back