Best source for hard rock/metal.
Jan 7, 2005 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 130

Blitzula

Headphoneus Supremus
So....up to the $3-4K range (not that it has to go that high), what source what you say is best for hard rock/metal and why? I'm interested in the Meridian G08, but I'm wondering if it's too laid back/smooth for this type of music.

Comments/suggestions?

Jan 7, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 130
Bumpity....or does source not matter?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 7, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 130
Somebody (I believe Kuma) once posted in one my threads that the Naim CD5i has a more forward sound. Audio Vision in San Francisco (http://www.audiovisionsf.com/?page=cdsource) carry Naim players. Perhaps a drive to SF is in order?

Before you do that, might as well listen to the Musical Fidelity A5 and Meridian G08 in SF Stereo. Auditions are always free (except for the gas) and fun to do!

---Pat

Jan 7, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
So....up to the $3-4K range (not that it has to go that high), what source what you say is best for hard rock/metal and why? I'm interested in the Meridian G08, but I'm wondering if it's too laid back/smooth for this type of music.

Comments/suggestions?

You looking to upgrade already?
wink.gif

Based on your preferences from before, I'd recommend Naim as well. Not that I've ever actually heard a Naim player, but everything their fans (and marketing department) say is that they're supposed to have faster pacing and more rhythmic drive than anyone.

I checked out the A5, and with my gear it wasn't that much better than the X-Ray, certainly not $1500 better...ymmv.

Jan 7, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
You looking to upgrade already?
wink.gif

Based on your preferences from before, I'd recommend Naim as well. Not that I've ever actually heard a Naim player, but everything their fans (and marketing department) say is that they're supposed to have faster pacing and more rhythmic drive than anyone.

I checked out the A5, and with my gear it wasn't that much better than the X-Ray, certainly not $1500 better...ymmv.

I'm curious, thus the questions. I'm not dissatisfied with the MF DAC, but I'm not blown away either. I get a full trade in value for my X-Dac if I spend $2k or more, so I might upgrade if something blew me away, but the store doesn't carry Naim. Maybe I'll check out the store in S.F. anyways...I would only lose two or three hundred on the sale, which isn't that much over years of listening satisfaction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
Before you do that, might as well listen to the Musical Fidelity A5 and Meridian G08 in SF Stereo. Auditions are always free (except for the gas) and fun to do!
---Pat

Yeah, I'm hoping to do that this weekend. I'm not sure if a smoother or analog signal is for me, but the G08 would certainly seem to be the player to listen to in order to find out.

Jan 8, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 130
A Naim would be ideal for you. I am lucky enough to have a friend who has a hi fi shop and he always stocks Naim. If you punch and dynamics and something which will blow your socks off, take a look at a Naim CDS2+XPS or if you want something really special the CDS3. The CDS3 is more like my combo. It has detail but is more forgiving and a warmth so sweet. The CDS3 is more the kind of player I would go for. I prefer the CDS3 over the Linn cd12.

Jan 8, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #8 of 130
Blitz, Let me know if you get the CDS3 ($9850) with the XPS2 power supply ($4800). I want to come by and give it a listen!

large_415.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to refer to Blitz. GoRedwings also has too much toys to need more.

Jan 8, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 130
Quote:

Let me know if you get the CDS3 ($9850) with the XPS2 power supply ($4800). I want to come by and give it a listen!

large_415.jpg

who blitzula?

I can lend one but the ML is good enough for me.

Jan 8, 2005 at 8:34 AM Post #10 of 130
You might want to check out Moon CD players as well (Audio Visions in S F seems to carry them). Their sonic signature is similar to Naim. Simply very good players with great sense of timing, and at least the Nova should be within your budget. I auditioned both Naim and Moon and they sounded very similar, but the Moon did at least for me have greater synergy with the rest of my gear (The RKV especially...)

Good luck on your hunt, and remember to have fun.

/Q

Jan 8, 2005 at 11:13 AM Post #11 of 130
Quote:

Blitz, Let me know if you get the CDS3 ($9850) with the XPS2 power supply ($4800). I want to come by and give it a listen!

large_415.jpg

EDIT: Forgot to refer to Blitz. GoRedwings also has too much toys to need more.

lol....I can't afford it in this lifetime. Or the next. The third life isn't looking good either...
600smile.gif

Jan 8, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #12 of 130
When I heard the Wadia 301 v. the G08 at a meet it seemed a little more forward and brighter which might be well-suited for that price range. Canman would be a great reference on the differences of these two sources.

I can't imagine that if you're only listening to rock/metal that you need to spend that much. It's just not as demanding as other types of music.

EDIT: Actually, I would consider a Benchmark DAC1 with a clock-modified transport. That made an awesome rock setup for me and would be very hard to beat its speed and impact.

Jan 8, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 130
I tried the DAC1...it was way too bright and thin for me.

I don't think it's a matter of metal being more or less demanding in terms of audio equipment for me, it's a matter of which player sounds best with it. Just like headphones, cables, etc. A flavor rather than a technical difference.

Jan 8, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #14 of 130
Agreed. But the transport may have eased the edge a little bit. That jitter-free claim is not totally accurate, imo. Still, you're asking for opinions, right?

FWIW, I keep gushing about the trusty MH but I liked its speed and attack for rock. I think a L3 is too smooth but I thoroughly enjoyed the sound coming from it at L2. Certainly not thin and edgy with the 627s.

I had a chance to demo a Naim 3.5 w/ flatcap and I just thought its pacing was too measured to be a good rock source. There was a lot of good feedback on the Exemplar-modified Denon 2900 not too long ago. Maybe those output transformers would give you the sound you're looking for.

Jan 9, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #15 of 130
I listened to the Meridian G08 at San Francisco Stereo in Mountain View. Not a cheap place, but I don't think you find this type of equipment discounted that much. They were helpful as always, I recommend them.

I listened for a good two hours to rock/metal cds that I am familar with, using my RA-1 and MS-2.

Everyone says the G08 is close to analog sound out of a digital player. I haven't listened to records since I was a kid, and I'm in my mid-thirties now. Since I couldn't even remember what analog sounded like, I thought this would be interesting.

The largest change, and it was a clear one, is the smoothness of the sound. There just isn't much (really any, unless the recording is bad, and even then not much) sibilance, harshness, or grating. Now, I've heard smooth high end sources before, but they were boring and analytical, and not very musically cohesive. The Meridian isn't like that at all, it's emotionally involving and interesting. The interesting thing is that I was getting plenty of detail, without the accompanying brightness. I could listen for a far longer time without fatigue AND without being bored, the combo of which is huge.

I agree with those who say the Meridian is neither bright or neutral, it just provides music. It's just...right.

On the rock front, I listen to all kinds, but I particularly like harder rock and metal. For any rock that isn't hard, I think the Meridian is great. For hard rock/metal, it was 50/50 for me. I thought it was top notch on some recordings, on others I wasn't rocking out enough. But it was never bad on anything.

The Meridian is an awesome source, I really liked it. It probably failed the metal test too much for me to buy it, but I understand why so many people rave over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back