Best source for hard rock/metal.
Jan 9, 2005 at 12:55 PM Post #16 of 130
You might want to look at the SACDmods sight.Any of the players where he installs a Zap filter should work very well for rock.The modified Denon 2900 that I have is very dynamic.I am quite pleased with it.

Jan 9, 2005 at 2:34 PM Post #17 of 130
Interesting spportclay, because what stryker is saying, and correct if I am wrong stryker, is that he is suggesting to blitzula that a level 2 modded CD-25 by soundy odyssey is better for rock than the zap filter laden level 3 modded Cd-25. So, this would be somewhat inconsistent with what you are suggesting. Stryker, based on conversations I have had with him about this experiences with this unit, had both the level 2 and 3 (built in phases), and therefore was able to make this assessment.

So, overall, it may also come down to some individual preferences in sound, given that one thought the zap filter was a bit too laid back for rock (optimally speaking) and one thinks it's a good fit.

Kinda like with stryker's assessment of the naim, which is supposedly a good fit for rock. It's somewhat in the ear of the beholder (and blitzula is sampling to be sure).

- walkman666

Jan 9, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #18 of 130
Moon players seeem to get great reviews and they look cool too. What era of rock/metal do you listen to? I'm a fan of 70's era rock (Zep, Maiden, ELO...) and would suggest adding a turntable to your system. There is a ton of great used vinyl available from the 70's/80's for rock & metal.

Jan 9, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #19 of 130
Strykers player had a special power supply mod as well as some other minor modifications too. The comparison really wasnt a level 2 vs level 3 comparison as there were other variables. I have two Sacdmod players with the zap filter output stage (Sony 555es/ Philips 963sa) and the bass is very powerful and dynamic with excellent PRAT. The Sacmods 555es has essentially the same mods as the level 3 Music hall cd-25 except the cd-25 has a different clock upgrade. I still wonder if the special power supply is what gave the cd-25 a more laid back signature. I listen mostly to electric blues and rock. The zap filter output stages in my Sacdmods players give rock and blues drive and slam, that no other player or dac I have used has matched. I have the level 3 player on the way so I will certainly comment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
Interesting spportclay, because what stryker is saying, and correct if I am wrong stryker, is that he is suggesting to blitzula that a level 2 modded CD-25 by soundy odyssey is better for rock than the zap filter laden level 3 modded Cd-25. So, this would be somewhat inconsistent with what you are suggesting. Stryker, based on conversations I have had with him about this experiences with this unit, had both the level 2 and 3 (built in phases), and therefore was able to make this assessment.

So, overall, it may also come down to some individual preferences in sound, given that one thought the zap filter was a bit too laid back for rock (optimally speaking) and one thinks it's a good fit.

Kinda like with stryker's assessment of the naim, which is supposedly a good fit for rock. It's somewhat in the ear of the beholder (and blitzula is sampling to be sure).

- walkman666

Jan 9, 2005 at 4:31 PM Post #20 of 130
Right, right, right, sacdlover. Got it. I know from some conversations with stryker that he *slightly* preferred the level 2 with the 627 opamps for rock than the level 3 with the zap, but like you said, he had other things done to the level 2 and 3 mods along the way. I guess I should have best left it to the actual author of said comments to comment. Thx (and am personally considering the level 3 modded CD-25 with the zap, and my tastes run to blitzula's).

- walkman666

Jan 9, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #21 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by kentamcolin
Moon players seeem to get great reviews and they look cool too. What era of rock/metal do you listen to? I'm a fan of 70's era rock (Zep, Maiden, ELO...) and would suggest adding a turntable to your system. There is a ton of great used vinyl available from the 70's/80's for rock & metal.

I listen to everything in rock from the 60's onward. I'd love to add a turntable, but I'm in the vinyl is far too much work and inefficient camp. Sounds great though, if that Meridian is any indication.

Jan 9, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #22 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay
You might want to look at the SACDmods sight.Any of the players where he installs a Zap filter should work very well for rock.The modified Denon 2900 that I have is very dynamic.I am quite pleased with it.

If there's one thing I've learned from this site, it's to audition before buying or buy used. Everyone's ears and preferences are different. So I'm VERY relunctant to mod my equipment without hearing what the mod sounds like first. I think I'll probably end up buying and staying stock.

Jan 9, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #23 of 130
Another player that you hear little about is the Ayre CX-7. I think it runs about 3K. I really enjoyed the one I auditioned and there is a stereophile article that you can read about it here. I was very tempted by this unit but ended up with a Meridian.

http://www.stereophile.com/digitalso...40/index1.html

Jan 9, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #24 of 130
Quote:

If there's one thing I've learned from this site, it's to audition before buying or buy used. Everyone's ears and preferences are different. So I'm VERY relunctant to mod my equipment without hearing what the mod sounds like first. I think I'll probably end up buying and staying stock.

smart move.

I have witnessed occasions where folks have actually modded a DVD player before they even listened to it bone stack and then went on to tout how much it was improved !

COMPARED TO WHAT ?????????????

you need a benchmark,like two identical units,or have lived with something over time before you can tell what is or is not "better" and unless each mod is done a single mod at a time and then listened to for a while bfore mod #2 who is to say what helped and what was just fluff ?

The original question on "rock" music reproduction :

It is my personal experience that if you get a system right it sounds good with ALL music formats.Anything that would produce superior sounds from one genre has sonic deficiencies that are being brought out by the other musical styles.

Accurate reproduction means you play everything the way it was recorded.If it is the power and dynamics of rock you are looking for then high efficiency headphones mated to high current amps (or high efficiency speakers ) is where you will get that.The soft to loud ramp up with unstrained peaks and "unfettered" drums that sound like a drum and not a mushy "thud" most THINK sound like drums.
Secon is an amp that does not strain when the music gets "busy".
any amp worth having can produce the single note or small ensemble sound but only a few remain clear when the musci energy comes from many instruments and with most rock being so highly compressed it is harder to get note separation and clarity.

Jan 9, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #25 of 130
Another thing to consider is that a lot of "rock" especially the more recent stuff is poorly recorded IMO and a top notch source does not help that. There are exceptions but there is a lot of junk out there.

Jan 9, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #26 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula

I used both the 555es almost a year before modding and had another 963sa I used for DVD's before I had a new 963 sa modded. The difference is night and day. There is nothing the modded units dont do better than their stock equivalents. Thats why I have no qualms buying a cd-25 without audition; especially since the mods are nearly identical to mods in the sacdmods 555es. I fully expect the level 3 cd-25 to compete with players two-three times its cost just like the 555es. I have a pm for you too. Modded players done right are the best values out there IMO.

Jan 9, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #27 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
It is my personal experience that if you get a system right it sounds good with ALL music formats.Anything that would produce superior sounds from one genre has sonic deficiencies that are being brought out by the other musical styles.

I somewhat agree with you on that. The Meridian, for example, was good on everything. I just have a certain flavor I like on hard rock/metal songs, which may involve either a low or mid fi sound, or a hi-fi player with some sonic coloration (versus deficiency) for rock.

Jan 9, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #28 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula

From what I have seen SACDmods Sony 555ES units on the used market go for just about what it costs to have one built. In other words they hold their value better than stock units.If losing money is a concern you should buy only used equipment.

Jan 10, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #29 of 130
I listened to a naim cd5i today, paired with modest speakers (Linn's $1k/pair and rotel amp around $700) and liked what I heard, but was not (nearly) compelled to believe that $1695 was worth it to upgrade. I listened to "Temple of the Dog" (soundgarden/pearl jam one-off) and the cd player did seem to be "musical," but your budget is much higher so you can listen to higher-end naim's and decide if they float your boat. I will listen tot he naim cd5i with its integrated amp sister and see what I hear.

- walkman666

Jan 11, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #30 of 130
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
There is nothing the modded units dont do better than their stock equivalents. Thats why I have no qualms buying a cd-25 without audition; especially since the mods are nearly identical to mods in the sacdmods 555es. I fully expect the level 3 cd-25 to compete with players two-three times its cost just like the 555es. I have a pm for you too. Modded players done right are the best values out there IMO.

FWIW, the guy who bought my unit on Audiogon said it was the "most musical player he's ever heard." Bested his modded Shanling T100, Wadia 27, Level 2 Jolida JD100, and sounds similar to the MuFi NuVista 3D he had which ran $4k when new.
biggrin.gif

D'ya think I made a mistake selling it?
frown.gif
At least I know what a good source is supposed to sound like.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back