Best sounding mp3 player?
Oct 14, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #48 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinkydelight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow! such hatred in this thread! anyways had the same dilemna as you before and most of the head-fi'ers uses the following the DAP players that comes in either great or highly recommended:

1. iPod 5.5 (rockboxed)
2. Cowon D2
3. Meizu m6
4. Samsung P2
5. Sansa Clip
6. Microsoft Zune
7. Sony Walkman
8. Kenwood MediaKeg
9. ipod Touch 2g
10. iRiver Clix

Now all u have to do is just narrow it down.

So, which ones have a line out? I know D2 doesn't (I own one).

Oct 14, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #49 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, which ones have a line out? I know D2 doesn't (I own one).

The ipods have a LO, I believe you can get a LO from a dock with the sony and zune. Not sure about that though
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 14, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #50 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"no, external amp wont make a crap mp3 player sound good unless it has lineout like ipod/zen vision/etc"

Try to get some cheap player from local store and amping it. All u get is amplified noise. So the statement correct or wrong?

"lineout bypass the internal amp and therefore capable of feeding clean signal into amplifier"

Anyone want to denied this? Is headphone-out better than lineout? No. So does my statement true?

I'm still learning and i wont waste much time debating. Correct me if i'm wrong.

This is a sticky one, I have heard it does bypass the internal amp, but some say it doesn't. I believe someone measured both outputs and they were of similar quality. Just the LO was a better match voltage wise. I have amped a HO with great success, you just have to have the power output right to match the amp. Wolfson micro and cirrus logic engineers would know for sure.

Oct 14, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #51 of 92
wrt to cowon d2. i got one based on its "stellar" sq. well, it may be "stellar", but not to me it wasnt. it has a bass roll off and its presentation sounds thin with no weight to it. its been described as analytical (yeah, theres plenty of information at the mid to treble end with little or no weight at the bottom to hide anything.). i do love the interface and the sd card intergration - its biggest strong suit.

fortunately, its rightable.. (with some help and advice) i paired it with a corda headsix and the bottom end rounded itself off with no appreciabe loss in treble. it now sounds pretty near perfect. clean and across the board.

btw - this much is true wrt to sound enhancements. BBE and mach3bass makes an appreciable and positive difference. (as compared to lets say the absolutely horrendous bass boost of the creative zen)

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #52 of 92
d2 = finicky. you gotta find that headphone that would totally mate with them together. Thats the only thing I dont like about the d2. unlike for the iPod where you can pair them with anything.

Been hearing a lot around here about the iaudio x5. how does it sound?

Oct 15, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #54 of 92
I have tried several inexpensive (read cheap!) mp3 players, thinking they all sounded ok for travel. Just 3 days ago, my nephew gave his old ipod mini 4Gb. To say there was a sound difference would be mild. It was like night and day when I compared it to my cheap ones. The bass was much deeper and better controled, and the clarity was better as well. I tried copying some cd's with mp3 and some with Apple lossless, and I was very impressed indeed. So much so, that I just ordered a refurbished touch 16Gb G1 ( it both for music, and wifi). So be careful when people tell you cheap ones sound as good as more pricey one. Best advice, if you can, audition many before assuming what you will like best.

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #57 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chinkydelight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally got myself an ipod touch 2g. ill get back to you on the sound quality and how it sounds against the D2 using akg k518/Koss portapro's
k701smile.gif

Any update on this? I'm liking the way my iPod 5g 30 gig sounds, but I'm going to have to eventually look for one with more storage. My 30 gigs is almost filled....

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #58 of 92
no such things as best... dif daps varies sound when paired with dif headphones and amp not to mention your "EARS" as the most important variable in the eqaution
wink.gif
... ohhh yes, also add the file format and bitrates...

if you will ask me, HP-out with se-420; my choice is old sony a808..

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #59 of 92
I don't which is the best sounding but the player I had before was the Cowon D2 and I now have the Sansa Fuze. Truly, I love both. Both have GREAT sound quality but because of the bass roll off of the D2 I didn't really feel the bass compared to the Fuze which isn't good, at least to me. The Fuze has better bass as in punchy with quantity, and better sound stage. The sound is great. I also had the Samsung P2 and truly, stay away. No soundstange but great bass. I returned it the first day I had it for the Fuze. MUCH happier now
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #60 of 92
I love the cowon d2 because the mids are very warm. True, the bass and highs are missing, but the mids are very nice.

The fuze/clip offers a very loud sound. Loud meaning that there is tons of bass and high. The highs and lows could be more extended, but I am not complaining. I can't really say that the fuze provides audiophile quality audio, but it is great for casual listening on the go.

I love both the cowon and fuze as well for different reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back