best sounding headphone speakers for replacements.
Aug 3, 2011 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AnimusDivinus

New Head-Fier
im looking to replace the speakers in a set of headphones i have.. and well, im looking for the absolute best sounding speakers to put inside them to replace the old dying speakers... theyre 40mm speakers now.. might be able to fit a 50mm in there...

so whats the best construction/technology? i hear a lot about neodymium and other technologies, what would be best in this category?.. also frequency, impedance, sensitivy?... im looking for a set of bare speakers i can buy probably online, and solder in place of the old once and im looking for some advice on what to use and where to get them?.

Aug 3, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 12
What headphones are they? Headphone drivers are tuned to a specific housing, and will take a good bit of modding for any driver to sound great, if that. Neodymium is the type of magnet used in most drivers.

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 12
is there a better magnet worth finding in a quality speaker?... doesnt really matter because if they dont go into these, my plan would be to make a set from scratch using skills i already have to fabricate the ear cups and band... not like it has to be adjustable for multiple head sizes anyway..

so really... im just curious what i should be looking for as far as specifications.. a 40mm driver should fit into the ones i already have flawlessly... 50mm might take some work, but i think its doable with some hot glue to hold it in the proper location

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
is there a better magnet worth finding in a quality speaker?... doesnt really matter because if they dont go into these, my plan would be to make a set from scratch using skills i already have to fabricate the ear cups and band... not like it has to be adjustable for multiple head sizes anyway..

so really... im just curious what i should be looking for as far as specifications.. a 40mm driver should fit into the ones i already have flawlessly... 50mm might take some work, but i think its doable with some hot glue to hold it in the proper location

I'm not sure if there are good (affordable) drivers that use anything other than neodymium. The SFI drivers probably didn't, but the bipolar ones aren't available anymore.

Anyways, Audio Technica, AKG, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, etc all sell drivers if you ask. It's really hard to recommend a driver for this because, while the magnet is hardly important at this case, the way the driver is tuned means everything.

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 12
im just looking for a good all around speaker, not tinny sounding like the one i have, but speakers capable of a full range of audio... it seems as though i can get a better range of quality audio from a 50mm driver vs a 40mm driver of similar quality.. but ive heard some 30mms that sounded better than 40s... do audio technica, AKG, sennheiser make and tune their own speakers or do they get them from somewhere else?... seems youre suggesting the best course of action would be to find a great, high quality set of headphones and order "replacement" speakers to use in mine

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 12
actually, i just read some tutorials on using shooting hearing protection for homemade headphones... im thinking id like to do this, so i could probably fit anywhere from a 40 to a 57mm speaker inside it.. i just need to know how to get high quality headphone speakers to use for this project?

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #7 of 12
Aug 4, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #8 of 12
audio technica says theyll sell me ATH-A900 speakers for $23 each... bet that would sound great.. doubt theyll fit in these though so i would have to take measurements and find a set of shooting ear muffs to make a headset with

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
youre not the first person ive heard talk up really cheap koss headphones... are they really similar in quality to high end audiophile headsets?

Nope, but they represent a great price/performance ratio. I have both the KSC75 and Portapro and they're very likable.

May 30, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #12 of 12
Koss PTX6 can be modified to sound better tha Dr.Dre BEATS. Ive placed a random digital magnets in a GPS cup and stray metal washers, took me 6 months to balance. i also made a custom ear cushions that molded to my ears amd used the band from KOSS pro 35's to make the rack fit very tight around my head but the sound was superb. It made the rack SHAKE! Im currently in the process of ordering some online thru ebay to replace the speakers. Happy Modding :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back