Best sound & least leakage...?
May 27, 2011 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

FrimanizzlE

New Head-Fier
Hi

I´m in search for a full size headphone that has excellent sound AND dosent leak much either ways.

My current setup is a Logitech Transporter -> Schiit Lyr -> Denon AH-D2000. The only real complaint I have about the SQ is the relative narrow soundstage, but I can live with it, and it seems unavoitable since the cans has to be closed due to the demand of no leaking. They simply leak too much both ways!

My budget is around 500$ but it can be stretched either ways if it pays off... Im listening to all music genres so it has to be pretty versatile, and if possible more neutral than my D2000. But they must not sound bright or lean! I like it sligthly warm and musical sounding rather than analytical and xtreme resolution.

I´ve read a lot on the Beyerdynamic dt770 600ohm, but I dont know how much they leak or if the tonal balance fits my discription?

Anyway, give me your best shot on a set of cans that could fit the listet above...
atsmile.gif

(sorry for my poor english writing-skills X)

May 27, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #3 of 18

Quote:
I would say German Maestro 8.35 may fit your bill !

Dont know em... Looks kind a platic and cheap? Do you know if there are any reviews of them...?

May 30, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 18
May 30, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 18
..sony 7520/z1000?
about 500, top-tier isolation and comfort, sonically seems to meet all your description..

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 18
I will be checking out the Sony Z1000....

Looks very nice, and very positive feedback around the web.

Thanks!

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #9 of 18
Look at a pair of Ultrasones. Maybe Pro 750's or 900's. They seal quite well and have excellent soundstages for closed headphones. They have similar sound signatures to Denon's as well.

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
Look at a pair of Ultrasones. Maybe Pro 750's or 900's. They seal quite well and have excellent soundstages for closed headphones. They have similar sound signatures to Denon's as well.

Might be checking them out as well, although I´ve heard the general description of Ultrasone is that, they are too expensive when you compare on SQ with any other brand out there...?

Jun 14, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
Might be checking them out as well, although I´ve heard the general description of Ultrasone is that, they are too expensive when you compare on SQ with any other brand out there...?

I haven't heard that - I'm reading the opposite!

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545328/review-denon-ah-d7000-vs-ultrasone-pro-900

Perhaps for some models in the Ultrasone range, though. Ultrasone has a few models that are almost redundant because of how similar they are, yet they cost different amounts.

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #12 of 18
Well, guess I´ll be checking out the Sony Z1000 and the Ultrasone pro900 then. That might give me an idea on witch way to go....
wink.gif

Thanks everybody, and keep it coming...

Jun 23, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #13 of 18
Update:

I´ve been trying the Ultrasones, and they are way to "boomey" for me. All other frequencies tend to drown in the massive low end, so thats a no-go for me + they almost leak as much as my D2k, so not really an upgrade there either....

That leads to the Sony Z1k´. I´ve been reading the very long thread about them here on head-fi, and I´m a bit confused about these cans....
confused_face_2.gif
 VERY different opinions about em, and that dosent really help me in choosing, and as none of the stores nearby have them, I will not be able to give them a listen before bying....
frown.gif

So at this stage I´m chewing on wether to bite the bullet or not....?

Any other suggestions out there...?

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #14 of 18
The new Shure's SRH-940, I suspect they might be your cup of tea. I just received them, very balanced and ultra detailed headphones -not boomy at all-, im very positively surprised, these might be the ultimate value in portable cans. Reviews around are also very positive, so dont take just my word for it.

Jun 23, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
The new Shure's SRH-940, I suspect they might be your cup of tea. I just received them, very balanced and ultra detailed headphones -not boomy at all-, im very positively surprised, these might be the ultimate value in portable cans. Reviews around are also very positive, so dont take just my word for it.

Thanks....

How about sound leak (both ways)? Its very importent that they do well in this area, otherwise I could just keep going with my D2k´s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back