Best Sound Card, DAC/Amp, Headphone combo for Gamer
Dec 14, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #31 of 46
I definitely plan on getting a Titanium HD sound card, and an O2 amp.  The HE-500 is at the very top of my price range.  Could you explain to me why this is worth the cost of TWO DT990s?  If anyone could compare the two on this site, I would GREATLY appreciate it.  I've read it even rivals the LCD-2... sounds too good to be true?

How is the bass in comparison?  I love bass in my FPS games.  Please keep in mind I'm not extremely educated in the audiophile ways just yet.

I'm also a moderate audiophile educated guy. But I trust my ears more than objective measurements. HE-500 has a beautifully textured bass, almost perfect with a fluid feeling. a note, it's heavy and need some time to use to it. anyway, I have an old reply summing up my 2 cents:

“I owned HE-500, D7000, DT 770 Pro 80, DT 990 (250 OHM)

HE-500 - King of Kings - for classical music, Arabic vocal and Oud (Arabic stringed instrument), and soundtracks - almost put me in tear for the feeling i get from the sound purity reproduced by this phone. Very good for gaming,. a nice positioning, literally makes me turn my head toward the sounds come from rear positions.

D7000 - King of bass and fun - use it for sound tracks, Arabic Nasheed (song) with warm background, gaming, movies, and every single use. this headphone is damn gooooooooooooood.

DT 770 Pro - Kind of positioning and movie theater like sound. Mostly used for video watching, and games with a deep story telling. very comfy

DT 990 - I hate it. I don't know why! though it really has a nice mid and bass. But i don't bear it over my ears! huh strange."

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #32 of 46
Thanks for the summary nassq8.  I think I will end up buying a pair of HE-500s at the first of the year.  Right now heading to India to get married... no one told me weddings were so expensive!  ;(

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #33 of 46
Quote:
Thanks for the summary nassq8.  I think I will end up buying a pair of HE-500s at the first of the year.  Right now heading to India to get married... no one told me weddings were so expensive!  ;(

Then congratulations are in order :)

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #34 of 46
Thank you!   
atsmile.gif

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #35 of 46
I guess the HE-500 aren't the best phone solely for gaming, but you have your ad700 already 
redface.gif

Personally, I have just put an order on the HE-500

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #36 of 46
Quote:
There is no replacement for the Titanium HD, Creative Labs is doing cost cutting for their newer cards.
The Titanium HD does not come with a true headphone amplifier, so get the O2.

Does anyone know of a good DAC/headphone amp combo that is an internal card? I don't mind paying more; I just dont like having an external amp like the O2.

Thanks

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #37 of 46
Quote:
Does anyone know of a good DAC/headphone amp combo that is an internal card? I don't mind paying more; I just dont like having an external amp like the O2.

Thanks

Out the top of my head, three options:

- Auzentech X-Fi Forte
- Asus Xonar Essence STX
- Creative Sound Blaster ZxR

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Thanks

Thinking of entering the PCI slot sound card adventure with exchangeable OP-AMPs?  It is a whole new world. An older basic card that still rivals the newer cards, is the

AUDIOTRAK Prodigy HD2 ADVANCE DE Sound Card 2-Channel (360 people can't be wrong). All the information you need to know is with the listing...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIOTRAK-Prodigy-HD2-ADVANCE-DE-Sound-Card-2-Channel-/110775775269

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #39 of 46
Hi, sorry to jump in here but I've been looking at moving away from having a sound card all together. The reason for this is I DO play games but they are all modern (BF3, Far Cry 3 etc) and they all use software decoding.......so...

I know an external DAC is better for music but will I be missing anything in games if the games I play only use software decoding and therefor don't take advantage of the sound card hardware??

Thanks in advance.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #40 of 46
Quote:
Hi, sorry to jump in here but I've been looking at moving away from having a sound card all together. The reason for this is I DO play games but they are all modern (BF3, Far Cry 3 etc) and they all use software decoding.......so...
I know an external DAC is better for music but will I be missing anything in games if the games I play only use software decoding and therefor don't take advantage of the sound card hardware??
Thanks in advance.

So I'm assuming your just using a motherboard's built in audio?
Which make and model motherboard?
What headphones and speakers do you use?
Some sound cards come with a fairly good DAC chip and offer a good "DAC" value for the price.
What is your budget?

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #41 of 46
Quote:
So I'm assuming your just using a motherboard's built in audio?
Which make and model motherboard?
What headphones and speakers do you use?
Some sound cards come with a fairly good DAC chip and offer a good "DAC" value for the price.
What is your budget?

Actually I had the same question as NuckinFutz... I currently run my sound out of an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 which uses the Realtek ALC898 chip > Yahama mini system's receiver RX-E400 > HD 590.

The only game that I play lately that requires some real positional accuracy is Farcry 3 so if the onboard handles that fine without me having to buy a Titanium HD I'd much rather get a separate DAC/Amp.

Would a Leckerton UHA-6S MkII be an upgrade that I will be able to tell from the receiver? I know its not a desktop setup but my current priority is to pair it up with my AT&T S3 and if the computer could benefit it would be an added bonus.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #42 of 46
Quote:
Actually I had the same question as NuckinFutz... I currently run my sound out of an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 which uses the Realtek ALC898 chip > Yahama mini system's receiver RX-E400 > HD 590.
The only game that I play lately that requires some real positional accuracy is Farcry 3 so if the on-board handles that fine without me having to buy a Titanium HD I'd much rather get a separate DAC/Amp.
Would a Leckerton UHA-6S MkII be an upgrade that I will be able to tell from the receiver? I know its not a desktop setup but my current priority is to pair it up with my AT&T S3 and if the computer could benefit it would be an added bonus.

The Asus Xonar DX (used $55) sound card (PCI-E) comes with the same DAC chip (CS4398) as the UHA-6S MKII ($280)
So I would say to add the Xonar DX to the computer and connect the Xonar DX to the RX-E400 (use the same 3.5mm to RCA cable), keep the HD590 plugged into the RX-E400.
Leaves you lots of left over cash for something for the ATT Samsung Galaxy S3, personally I would just get a Fiio E11 ($60) portable headphone amplifier for use with the Galaxy S3.

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #43 of 46
Quote:
The Asus Xonar DX (used $55) sound card (PCI-E) comes with the same DAC chip (CS4398) as the UHA-6S MKII ($280)
So I would say to add the Xonar DX to the computer and connect the Xonar DX to the RX-E400 (use the same 3.5mm to RCA cable), keep the HD590 plugged into the RX-E400.
Leaves you lots of left over cash for something for the ATT Samsung Galaxy S3, personally I would just get a Fiio E11 ($60) portable headphone amplifier for use with the Galaxy S3.

Wow that is a great cheap solution. But it still leaves NuckinFutz's and my original question unanswered in that would games like Farcry 3 which uses software decoding benefit from a dedicated soundcard whether it be Xonar DX or a X-Fi Titanium HD?

Also, do you not feel the need to have a DAC for the S3? My friend runs a S3>UHA6>HD650's and I was thoroughly impressed with his setup. I don't plan on lugging a set of HD650's everywhere as I do travel quite frequently on planes and don't want that packsize and openness but unwilling to compromise by getting a QC15 either. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Wow that is a great cheap solution. But it still leaves NuckinFutz's and my original question unanswered in that would games like Farcry 3 which uses software decoding benefit from a dedicated sound card whether it be Xonar DX or a X-Fi Titanium HD?

Also, do you not feel the need to have a DAC for the S3? My friend runs a S3>UHA6>HD650's and I was thoroughly impressed with his setup. I don't plan on lugging a set of HD650's everywhere as I do travel quite frequently on planes and don't want that packsize and openness but unwilling to compromise by getting a QC15 either. 

I was not recommending the Xonar DX for improving gaming, I was recommending the Xonar DX because it should have a fairly better DAC then the DAC built into the Realtek ALC898.
So the audio quality should be improved for the Yamaha RX-E400/ HD590 combo. I would assume the Xonar DX is at least equal gaming wise to the Realtek ALC898

I was trying to take the need for something dual use (computer and S3) out of the equation.
So what ever you do use for the S3, only needs to work with the S3 (and not the computer), the Fiio E11 is just one option,
The Fiio E17 ($140) comes with a DAC and an amplifier.

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #45 of 46
Hi Angel,

I have the Xonar DX going through a Topping TP21 to a set of CAL! and home made speakers. I only use the CAL's for gaming,

I have an earthing issue with the topping, which I'm sure I can fix, but was using this as an excuse (as you do) to look at something new. Been looking at dedicated headphone amps plus one of the new TI class D SMSL amps to drive the speakers. But, after realising all the games I'm playing are software decoded, I've been looking into using a dedicated DAC + headphone amp.

I'm not interested in DH or the like, they add unatural reverb that sounds silly when running around in outside environments (fine when indoors). I used to use 5.1 output from games and then let the DX downmix to 2 channles thinking this would give me the best poisitonal audio....not the case. BF3 set the headphone and enhanced stereo is pretty darn good and significantly better.

So, if I'm right, I will not loose anything in a gaming environment by moving to a dedicated DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back