Best Sound Card, DAC/Amp, Headphone combo for Gamer
Dec 11, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #16 of 46
Quote:
How are you guys connecting your sound card to your O2?  I'm a total audio newb and I'm not familiar with audio cables.  I'd like to know everything I'll need before I buy the O2.  The headphones go straight into the headphone jack on the O2?

Titanium HD RCA Line Out <> RCA to 3.5mm cable <> O2 <> headphones

the Titanium HD comes with the RCA to 3.5mm cable, so you'll have everything you need. yeah your headphones go straight to the 3.5mm headphone out of the O2.

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

the Titanium HD comes with the RCA to 3.5mm cable, so you'll have everything you need. yeah your headphones go straight to the 3.5mm headphone out of the O2.

I read on some other forum that it should be RCA to RCA.  Does it make a difference?  I'll be using the Titanium HD as a DAC if that matters.

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #18 of 46
no it doesn't make a difference, but the standard design for the O2 only has a 3.5mm input so you'll need to use the RCA to 3.5mm cable.

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #20 of 46
Quote:
Will I have to recharge the batteries if I have the amp plugged in to a power adapter? Also do you recommend I buy the AC adapter that is offered on the JDS Labs website?

As long as you leave the AC adapter plugged into the O2, the batteries will stay charged, even if the O2 is turned off, so you will not have to deal with any recharging issues.
And do buy the AC adapter with the O2.

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #21 of 46
I was looking at the specs of the Creative recon3d.  It has a built in amplifier that supports up to 600 ohms.  It is software driven instead of hardware driven...but anymore, the cpu/memory on a PC is overkill anyway.  Looking at the specs, is it still better to get a Titanium HD instead of a recon3d?  I'm assuming I would not have to buy a seperate amp if I went with the recon3d?

Here is what spawned this interest:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1305388/x-fi-titanium-hd-vs-recon3d

Then again, it looks like this post has just given me my answer...
http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=697046&page=2

People are saying the sound quality isn't as good on the Recon3d.  Looks like I'm going to have to buy a O2 after all.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #22 of 46
Thanks for bearing with me.  I am learning alot here!

Here is the brand new Soundblaster Z.  Is this the Titanium HD replacement?  Or should I still grab a Titanium HD?  The built-in amp seems nice, but I am willing to spend the extra cash to get an O2 if it will sound better.

http://www.creative.com/soundblaster/z/z/

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Here is the brand new Soundblaster Z.  Is this the Titanium HD replacement?  Or should I still grab a Titanium HD?  The built-in amp seems nice, but I am willing to spend the extra cash to get an O2 if it will sound better.

There is no replacement for the Titanium HD, Creative Labs is doing cost cutting for their newer cards.
The Titanium HD does not come with a true headphone amplifier, so get the O2.

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #24 of 46
Quote:
It has a built in amplifier that supports up to 600 ohms.  It is software driven instead of hardware driven...

there is no 'software driven' amplification. it's all hardware driven.  between the Titanium HD and Recon3D, get the Titanium HD. the new Z line is still out to pasture, time will tell.  

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #25 of 46
Quote:

For gaming purposes, the Titanium HD is the card to get. The newer cards lack multiple features for gaming audio support.

Add an O2 and you'll be all set.

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #26 of 46
I am wondering, which 'phone might be the ultimate for gaming, NOT thinking about price? I know sources might be hard to find but still?

Dec 12, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Why not 3.5mm output from the Titanium HD to 3.5mm input on the O2??

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #28 of 46
classic, vocal, Arabic string instruments, Hanz Zimmer made soundtracks (flacs) > Xonar Essence STX HP line out> Hi-Fi Mode 2 channels > HE-500 = indescribable sensations

Games > Xonar Essence STX HP line out> Dolby HP mode 6 channels > HE-500 = never ending fun.

PS: I have NFB-15.32 and E09. Barely use them when having Xonar Essence STX. high quality sound card. nothing's better IMHO. and for HE-500, it is like sticking speakers over your ears, incredible HP. :)

hope this helps.

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:
Why not 3.5mm output from the Titanium HD to 3.5mm input on the O2??

Why not 3.5mm (Headphone jack) output from the Titanium HD to the 3.5mm (analog line in) on the O2?

Because the RCA line-out jacks on the Titanium HD should provide a slightly cleaner analog audio signal compared to the Titanium HD headphone output jack.
But people do sometimes connect the headphone jack to the line in jack.

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:
classic, vocal, Arabic string instruments, Hanz Zimmer made soundtracks (flacs) > Xonar Essence STX HP line out> Hi-Fi Mode 2 channels > HE-500 = indescribable sensations
Games > Xonar Essence STX HP line out> Dolby HP mode 6 channels > HE-500 = never ending fun.
PS: I have NFB-15.32 and E09. Barely use them when having Xonar Essence STX. high quality sound card. nothing's better IMHO. and for HE-500, it is like sticking speakers over your ears, incredible HP.
smily_headphones1.gif

hope this helps.

I definitely plan on getting a Titanium HD sound card, and an O2 amp.  The HE-500 is at the very top of my price range.  Could you explain to me why this is worth the cost of TWO DT990s?  If anyone could compare the two on this site, I would GREATLY appreciate it.  I've read it even rivals the LCD-2... sounds too good to be true?

How is the bass in comparison?  I love bass in my FPS games.  Please keep in mind I'm not extremely educated in the audiophile ways just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back