best solid state amp which i should save money and buy?
Mar 16, 2008 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

lucky_star

Banned
Hi,
my question is that if i don't want to go for tube amp, which solid amp is the best one i should concern?
my cans are Denon D5000, GS1000
I have also owned the Lavry DA10 which is used to connect to my computer.
most of my music will be POP and few ROCK.
right now I see some good reviews of RPX-33 and RSA apache(most of buyers go balance setup with this amp, is the single-end input of this amp not very good). Any comparsion between them or other recommended amp?
thanks
YOUR OPINIONS ARE VERY IMPORTANT FOR ME BECAUSE I WANT TO SAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY A VERY GOOD ONE AND USE IT FOR LONG TIME

Mar 16, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky_star /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
my question is that if i don't want to go for tube amp, which solid amp is the best one i should concern?
my cans are Denon D5000, GS1000
I have also owned the Lavry DA10 which is used to connect to my computer.
most of my music will be POP and few ROCK.
right now I see some good reviews of RPX-33 and RSA apache(most of buyers go balance setup with this amp, is the single-end input of this amp not very good). Any comparsion between them or other recommended amp?
thanks
YOUR OPINIONS ARE VERY IMPORTANT FOR ME BECAUSE I WANT TO SAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO BUY A VERY GOOD ONE AND USE IT FOR LONG TIME

Don't forget to look into the Little-Dot MKV, Dual Mono Solid State Headphone Amp. Very cost effective and an excellent performer. Here is my review of it: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/rev...lifier-289765/

Here is the info sheet and pics on the Little-Tube site: Viewing a thread - Little Dot MK V Dual-Mono Headphone Amplifier!

Have a good one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #7 of 35
The Beta 22 is the ultimate solid-state amp. It's also overkill for almost every conventional dynamic headphone, except for ones like the K1000. Ti Kan, its designer, has said there are no commercial equivalents to it. If you wanted to save up for "the best solid-state amp" it'd be the one to go for. A commission for one would be approximately $900 for single-ended, or ~$1.8K for balanced.

You would however need an extremely high-end source to take full advantage of the Beta 22. The best lowest-cost digital source that I've seen that would even begin to supply a Beta 22 well enough is the Krell SACD Standard ($4600 original SRP, can be found lower at used price).

If you can't afford this level of expense, there are plenty of alternatives. HeadRoom, Singlepower Audio, and HeadAmp also make balanced amps that are better values than the RudiStor or RSA - Balanced Desktop, Square Wave XL, and GS-X, respectively.

Mar 16, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can't afford this level of expense, there are plenty of alternatives. HeadRoom, Singlepower Audio, and HeadAmp also make balanced amps that are better values than the RudiStor or RSA - Balanced Desktop, Square Wave XL, and GS-X, respectively.

so in your opinion rudistor RPX-33 or RSA-HR02 produce sound quality worse than other company's phone during matching with Denon D5000 or GS1000, RIGHT?

Mar 16, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #9 of 35
I didn't make any reference to sound quality, only price. The HeadRoom, Singlepower, and HeadAmp balanced amps are cheaper than either the RudiStor RPX-33 or RSA Apache. That makes them better values. Also note that the RudiStor RPX-33 is NOT balanced.

Audio equipment in this price range is also about very quickly diminishing returns. Spending a couple thousand more doesn't necessarily equate to better sound quality, which is subjective anyway.

Mar 16, 2008 at 10:45 AM Post #10 of 35
I have not heard the B22. But If you can swing the cash, the Singlepower Transparency is a balanced SS headphone/preamp.($4-5K) It is by far the nicest SS headphone amp I have had the pleasure of listening through. Its worth considering. it is also one of 2-3 of the best preamps I have had in my system. Better than the $7K Ayre K-1XE and close to the $13K VTL 7.5 and $19K SDS-XLR.
AS far as the Krell SACD Standard goes, you should stay clear of them. They have had tons of problems with the transports on both the MKI, and MKII players. If you are thinking about one just do a search on AudiogoN high end audio auctions, classifieds, hifi chat in the discussion forum or over at Audio Asylum -- Audio Reviews, Audiophile Forums and Stereo Reviews

They do have a new MKIII model out but the price has gone up to $6K.

Mar 16, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You would however need an extremely high-end source to take full advantage of the Beta 22. The best lowest-cost digital source that I've seen that would even begin to supply a Beta 22 well enough is the Krell SACD Standard ($4600 original SRP, can be found lower at used price).

This, i do not agree with.

It's not necessary to get an extremely expensive/high end source just to feed the Beta22. Yes, there's a bare minimum but i'd say forking out an extra $4600 just to "make full use" (which really is the same with lesser sources) is way over it.

A decent source like even the EMU1212M is good enough for the balanced Beta22. Now let's not get into an argument. I've seen cases where there are people who would pit the EMU1212M against standard DACs like the DAC-1.

If you have the money to spend on a Balanced BETA22, i'd say go for it even if you have a lesser source. It's not like you cant enjoy the sound or anything. It'll actually last you for sometime until someone comes out with something even better. (LOL the Beta24's design in a way > Beta22 balanced, if amb could somehow bring cross coupling amplifiers into standard balanced headamps......)

Mar 16, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #12 of 35
I'm wondering why you seem focused on SS and balanced??? The low power requirement of headphones makes it the perfect application for a quality single-ended, class A amplification. Tube life is not a big issue in these low power applications. I think that many people swearing by balanced are comparing it to poor, stock cabling. High quality cable in a properly designed system will be excellent, whether balanced or unbalanced, IMHO.

You can get a totally modded Woo Audio WA6 at your price point.

I'm not anti-SS. I spent thousands on my Conrad Johnson CA200 control amplifier for my speaker system. My Vienna Acoustic speakers like lots of power and a high damping factor, so I selected my amp accordingly.

Headphones are at the other end of the spectrum, demanding quiet, clean, transparent sound with just a teeny bit of amplification. Look at the Woo line. They're built like a brick house, yet with incredibly refined sound.

Portable, it's not, so you may have reason for the SS quest, but I just wanted to make this pitch in case you think SS is what you cans need.

Dave

Mar 16, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #14 of 35
Talking about good single-ended SS amps, the 3-channel β22 is worth to consider too.
To my humble opinion, it belongs to the best... probably the best in its price class.

I have built and owning both the 3-channel and balanced version of the β22 and I must say that a 3-channel β22 has almost the advantages of a balanced one. Even with my old Rotel RCD990 CD player, the 3-channel β22 performs very well.

I agreed that sources like ordinary sound cards or Ipods are not worth it for an amp of this calibre, but you don't need to spend that much money for a source like Krell SACD Standard to let the β22 sing. I'm using a Marantz SA-11S1 (mainly SACD) as source for my balanced β22 with excellent results.

Mar 16, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #15 of 35
There is a lot of mis-information circulating regarding balanced, un-balanced, etc.. This seems to stem from the adverts of a certain popular company on the web and in print.

The basic question is do you want to stay with a 3-way plug that shares the signal return between left and right channels, or do you want to separate them into dual mono channels. Once you decide to separate them then you can have balanced or unbalanced drive.

Note:
Dual mono has a theoretical advantage over combined signal returns.

There is no proven advantage to balanced working from a headphone perspective when compared to unbalanced amplification.

It is a fact that both balanced and unbalanced can be constructed from single-ended or push-pull circuitry. If you do not understand this head over to the diy section or visit DiyAudio.com.

: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back