Best solid-state amp for HD 650 under $400?
Sep 13, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #16 of 30
A resistor was actually changed after production. The Nuforce actually puts about 600-850 mw into 32 ohm phones. About half a watt into 50 ohms (LCD-2), and about 250-300 mw into 300 mw phones. Perfect for HD 650's and the synergy is godlike. LCD-2 is about the best sound you'll get out of the HDP, but don't underestimate that. That's saying a lot. I was thoroughly impressed with how it drove the LCD-2's. Very, very impressive. As compared to an Eddie Current Balancing act.

Confirmed with Headphone addict and Nuforce multiple times. No, I am not providing measurements. You ask for my opinion, I'll share my knowledge. I am not going out of my way any further than that as that's ridiculous for me. I just gave you the best reccomendation I've heard. (And I've heard many). I, like Headphone addict / Algazenhanth - will not be geting rid of HDP anytime soon. It's size, footprint, look, universal compatability, pre-amp, and great synergy with the phones I love will forever prevent me from doing that. The DAC is not as good as Benchmark DAC 1. Let's put it this way. HDP costs $450 and you won;t find a better DAC besides the D 100 or DIY buffalo DAC's below $500. And to really make it worthwhile, you're looking at a modded Benchmark Dac1 or therabouts (something I'm not going to pay for). The amp is beatable by many DIY amps in this price range, but the amp in the HDP is pretty damn good and I find myself coming back to it more anyway. There is something magical about the HDP. It does not dissapoint and is a performer.

Sep 13, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #17 of 30
While all of the above may be true, the nwavguy review fiasco has personally prejudiced me from ever even trying one of nuforce's products because of that company's obfuscated response to criticism. There are too many fish in the sea.

Sep 13, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #18 of 30
op,
You could try to give this a go:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/524263/audio-gd-nfb-12/525#post_7252522

change those caps from 470pF to 100pF this will prevent the upper end roll-off..
Or potentially just email KingWa, and see what options there are...

Other options are the Schiit Asgard, which i've heard alot about..

Disclaimer:
I dont have HD650, or NFB-12, but learned the above when researching to get both.
Went with NFB-5, and will get the HD650 later. I've got the moon OPA in it atm.. but honestly, ACSS sounds very close comparitively.
but the reason i went with NFB-5 was the ability to choose opamps to match my future headphones. 

Sep 13, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #19 of 30
That would be interesting, but those look impossibly small to soldier with a normal soldiering iron. And I wouldn't even know where to get the correct capacitors.

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #20 of 30
I have a HeadRoom desktop amp/DAC for sale. it has a switch that adds brightness (treble). i'm selling it for a bit more than 400, but it might be worth it for ya if you can come up with extra cash. this amp/dac goes for 850 new, i'll sell it for 650. i know its a lot but it's a good price for this unit.

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #22 of 30
Nuforce HD/HDP or Schiit Asgard

Sep 20, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #24 of 30

Quote:
Quote:
ac500, If I were in your shoes, I would try the Gilmore Lite. 

Great advice.

Yup, it makes sense depending on the source and user preferences, what with both senns having a darkish sound signature, the 650 being a little heavier in that respect.

Sep 20, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #25 of 30
Well I'm not really planning on upgrading my DAC/Amp most likely, however my requirements have changed slightly since I also have an Audio Technica AD2000 now. If I do upgrade, I think the best thing would be to get the most "flat" (unmodified sound) output possible.

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #26 of 30
Well... here's an update.

I found the AD2000 to be no better than my HD650, so I ended up selling it. And, I've extensively compared and EQ'ed my HD650 vs. my Shure SRH940. In every case I've found the SRH940 mids and highs to be a league ahead of the HD650, and it's not just due to sound signature. EQ'ing the SRH940 treble down, and EQ'ing up the HD650 treble up -- in both cases it's clear the HD650 is lacking quality mids and highs here vs. the SRH940.

I don't really understand this other than maybe the NFB12 is simply a "synergistic" disaster with the HD650. I know the NFB12 DAC is fine because I hear all the detail clearly with the SRH940. But something about the NFB12 amplification is failing to drive the treble on my HD650, or something. Or maybe the HD650 just has cruddy treble and mids vs. the SRH940, but that seems hard to believe with it's reputation?

Anyway, what is a really good solid state (NO TUBES!!!) prebuilt (NOT DIY!!!) amp or DAC/amp unit that is known to sound really good and detailed with the HD650, in the range of <$500? Note: Sorry for the bold emphasis but it seems every time I say "solid state" and "no tubes", somehow all the suggestions I get manage to be DIY tube amps :D

Nov 18, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #27 of 30
^That's too bad because a tube-hybrid amp, like the Schiit Lyr, really makes the Sennheisers come alive. My hd600's sound very detailed hooked to a Lyr amp with a Bifrost DAC. Better than my solid-state Cambridge Audio preamp. Vocals sound exquisite on them with this combo. Nice treble without being harsh.

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #28 of 30
I don't want a tube amp because I hate the idea of buying replacement tubes. How long do tubes last? What if I leave it turned on by accident overnight?

Nov 18, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #29 of 30
Signal tubes like in Lyr can last for years! Leaving them on for days or weeks will not dramatically shorten their life.

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #30 of 30
Also I don't like the idea of a sound that slowly degrades over time. It's just not something I ever want in the back of my head. I'm leaning towards a good DAC/Amp combo like the Yulong D100 ($400 usd). I could go for a standalone amp to chain after my NFB12 as a DAC, but I'd have to be 100.0% certain that the NFB12 has a detailed DAC and it's just the amp that's a problem. The whole point of this upgrade is to improve the detail of my HD650 which seems lacking from my NFB12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back