Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7,916

rantrile

100+ Head-Fier
As I understood, the HTC ONE is the best smartphone for an audiophile. How Iphone 5 compares to it?
What would be the second best smartphone in the quality of sound?

Also, I'm personally looking for a lightweight (around 112gr or less as Iphone 5) with a smaller screen than HTC ONE (Iphone's 5 would be ok, or even smaller) and quality of  camera for photos and videos is very important too (don't care about megapixel, just fast and quality shoots for photos, and I'm satisfied with video of 720p (640x480) just want it of good quality). Using normal size SIM card, dual-sim, memory expansion slot, removable battery, Android - are additional pluses.`

May 1, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 7,916
Stock Galaxy S III supports USB OTG with at least Mouse, Keyboard, Mass Storage and... USB DAC.

Well, mine does at least.

May 22, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #3 of 7,916
No one can add some input on this topic?
What is the best Phone for audiophile in your opinion?

To: PiskyHIFI - What is the purpose of using OTG DAC if there are quality photo that use Wolfson DAC or Dr. Dre as in HTC One?

May 22, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #4 of 7,916
Dr Dre beats sound on HTC phones is a gimmick. It is basically a glorified proprietary EQ preset.

If you want an audiophile phone go with iPhone 5 or the Samsung Galaxy line (3, 4 or note 2). All of the above have USB line out. This way you can use a portable external DAC/amp.

May 22, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #7 of 7,916
Many people say that they love the quality of the sound that HTC One provides. Some like to switch "beats" on and some prefer off.

I'm always listening to the music on the go, so why would I use USB DAC if the built-in DAC is good or excellent?

What DAC does HTC One uses? How about Iphone 5?

May 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #11 of 7,916
iPhone 4S 64Gb

Line out, digital out, and above all a killer headphone out: quiet, powerful, clean, open and 1.9 ohms of output impedance. Can't go wrong with it.

May 22, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #12 of 7,916
I suggest you buy a Samsung phone. The galaxy S3, Note 2, and Galaxy S4 all support USB audio output. This is by far your best option for audio quality on the go. They are compatible with most USB DACs.

May 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #13 of 7,916
Galaxy Note 2 by far - 0.9 ohms output impedance, Wolfson DAC, USB Audio, 3100mAh battery, microSD, FLAC support out of the box.

May 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #14 of 7,916
I wonder what happens when the phone rings on the go with all that bricks attached and running.

The iPhone 4S hp out fits the bill in a much ergonomic way and drives iems perfectly. Audibly better than the Note 2 and with far more output power

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm

May 22, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #15 of 7,916
Quote:
I wonder what happens when the phone rings on the go with all that bricks attached and running.

The iPhone 4S hp out fits the bill in a much ergonomic way and drives iems perfectly. Audibly better than the Note 2 and with far more output power

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm

But why would he use the headphone jack when he can use a USB DAC? The iPhone can't use USB DACs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back