Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #32 of 7,916
If being smaller than HTC is really important to you, the only current gen phones that really fit are iPhones -- 4s or 5. I have I9300 now and love the sound, but all the Androids are about the same size as HTC One.

I'm 6'6", and DIDN'T get iPhone because it was too small for me. :D

Aug 2, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #35 of 7,916
I own the HTC one m7 and owned the one x and it was terrible sounding from the speaker unlike my new HTC one which sounds pretty decent and excellent compared to any other phone ive heard. The one x us variant isn't the tegra.3 which are known to have terrible audio quality mine was the same dac as the US galaxy S3 which aren't bad but the new htc one is better than anything I have heard including my iPhone 4s which was great

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Aug 3, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #36 of 7,916
Thanks, I'm aware about the difference in the sound produced by the speaker(s) between HTC One and One X. However, what is your opinion in the quality of the sound of the speaker-out only?

And b), are you implying there are at least two versions of HTC One X? With different DACs?

Aug 9, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #38 of 7,916
That's weird. I owned an iPhone 4 and 4s, they both sounded great but better than a wolfy note 2? And yes there is an international HTC One X with a tegra 3 and a US HTC One X with a snapdragon same one as the gs3, also later came a US HTC One x+ with 64gb and a tegra 3 lol...

Aug 11, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #43 of 7,916
I need to know: What cable to connect galaxy S3 to Leckerton UHA-6S MKII. THE Leckerton has inputs micro USB; but I can't find such a thing. There are optical and coax inputs as well. I would think Micro USB, being the simplest, would be best for on the go portability. Any thoughts on methods, type, and some links would be really appreciated. Primary phones are Denons with Lawton mods.

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #44 of 7,916
Quote:
I need to know: What cable to connect galaxy S3 to Leckerton UHA-6S MKII. THE Leckerton has inputs micro USB; but I can't find such a thing. There are optical and coax inputs as well. I would think Micro USB, being the simplest, would be best for on the go portability. Any thoughts on methods, type, and some links would be really appreciated. Primary phones are Denons with Lawton mods.

That's kind of off-topic. We are trying to figure a winner on a smart phone on this thread.

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #45 of 7,916
Quote:
That's weird. I owned an iPhone 4 and 4s, they both sounded great but better than a wolfy note 2? And yes there is an international HTC One X with a tegra 3 and a US HTC One X with a snapdragon same one as the gs3, also later came a US HTC One x+ with 64gb and a tegra 3 lol...

Depends on what type of sound OP wants/prefers... warm or cold. And also, if the OP is willing to install a custom ROM. For instance, the i9300/N7100 (Galaxy S III/Note II) have completely different sound profiles based on if you're running CM10.1 or a Samsung ROM. Samsung almost completely cuts off all sub-bass. CM10.1 has a much better SQ, with sub-bass intact, with the on-board Wolfson DAC... especially if you run a custom kernel along with it. 

If you like a colder (IMHO) and tighter response, the iPhone is the way to go. I'm a software developer, so I have a BUNCH of phones and the iPhone is one of them. I've used the 4 and 4S and the only thing different is that the 4S is louder. Higher headphone output voltage.

The thing to remember about your choice is that if you're going to be using an amp, the i9300/i9500 is the way to go, since they have a VERY nice output, but aren't very loud. The iPhone has a nice primary output, but it can't be customized in anywhere near the way the Android devices can... like Oversampling, DAC Direct, or Anti-Jitter that's built into the driver/DAC.

I also see that you've mentioned the One X and One X+, which both have abysmal headphone out. The One X+ is particularly bad. It's almost like there's no shielding at all on the audio. There's SO much EM interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back