Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #7,171 of 7,916
  Of course it has, but the 10 has a dedicated amp. 
biggrin.gif
 Game changer compared to all the phones i have owned

i searched through the the thread you were talking about to see anything about the dedicated amp and i didn't find anything other than just speculation. give me a direct link to it

If you know what your saying, then who is the manufacturer of the dedicated amp? Maxim? Texas Instruments? NXP?
its already clear that the aqstic dac already has the amp integrated within as the picture shows in Gouryella's post #7174, there is no
dedicated amp and whatsoever.

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #7,172 of 7,916
  Of course it has, but the 10 has a dedicated amp. 
biggrin.gif
 Game changer compared to all the phones i have owned

Let's wait for soomal's or other serious source's review of Aqstic... But do not expect it is to be close to those guys having dedicated DAC and amplifier separately in sound quality terms. There is no miracle. Look at musical players. Do you think this heavy box is just a useless space-waster? No, it's all about sound. So it takes volume to fit 'good sound' into it. And if you (not you, voxie, but any human being) do not hear the difference between those - it does not mean there is no difference in sound quality.

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #7,173 of 7,916
  i searched through the the thread you were talking about to see anything about the dedicated amp and i didn't find anything other than just speculation. give me a direct link to it

If you know what your saying, then who is the manufacturer of the dedicated amp? Maxim? Texas Instruments? NXP?
its already clear that the aqstic dac already has the amp integrated within as the picture shows in Gouryella's post #7174, there is no
dedicated amp and whatsoever.

Just as a start just let me say that to me it is not that important if the HTC 10 use a dedicated dac and/or amp or not. To me what is important is if the sound is good. I do not own the HTC 10 and I have actually not tested it so I have no idea if it sounds good or not. All I know is that many claim it is good. I did some searching and I found this article:
http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-10-audio-testing-boomsound-evolved

The author, Jerry Hildenbrand, claims this:

I asked HTC how they did it, and found out that some assumptions about the HTC 10 audio hardware that the internet (and myself) has are incorrect. The HTC 10 uses a stand-alone DAC as well as headphone amp and isn't using the Snapdragon 820 DAC. This is pretty important, and why the HTC 10 sounds as good as it does.

He also include a quote that supposedly is the answer he received from HTC:

We use a discrete DAC (not one on the SoC) in addition to the amp and have done a ton of PCB engineering to insure the best possible signal-to-noise ratio. Credit to HTC engineering, not off-the-shelf components.

But why have a academic discussion of whether it is a dedicated dac in the first place? Is it not the performance that count?

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #7,174 of 7,916

No it does not, it has the integrated qualcomm dac, not a dedicated and separate Amp.

Its called Qualcomm WCD9335 DAC (Aqstic)

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2016/12/13/behind-scenes-qualcomm-aqstic-and-aptx-audio-tech

"We use a discrete DAC (not one on the SoC) in addition to the amp and have done a ton of PCB engineering to insure the best possible signal-to-noise ratio. Credit to HTC engineering, not off-the-shelf components"

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #7,175 of 7,916
  "We use a discrete DAC (not one on the SoC) in addition to the amp and have done a ton of PCB engineering to insure the best possible signal-to-noise ratio. Credit to HTC engineering, not off-the-shelf components"

Even if its a discrete DAC (of which it could be the still WCD9335 of which Qualcomm themselves said so) that still doesnt make the phone have dedicated audio chips.

"But here is where Qualcomm is making a meaningful difference as the HTC 10 does not actually include a third-party DAC (digital to analog converter), like the LG V20 – although it is worth pointing out the the V20 does also include the SD820. Instead it makes use of Aqstic as part of the Snapdragon 820 make-up."
https://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/10/feature-qualcomms-aqstic-could-be-the-future-of-mobile-audio.html

There was also this forum where talks about how the website TaoBao teardown the HTC 10 and there was no sign of dedicated chips but the WCD chip. Qualcomm has said various times that it uses the Aqstic WCD DAC, your just providing me with tertiary sources and not primary, which are less reliable.

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapdragon/2016/06/02/qualcomm-aqstic-sets-new-standard-audiophiles
https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2016/12/13/behind-scenes-qualcomm-aqstic-and-aptx-audio-tech

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #7,176 of 7,916
imo, and like someone else said, nowadays most dacs are good enough to do the job. The most important thing before being able to handle high quality audio format etc... Is to be able to give enough power to the headphone. Lots of people don't realize how a good amp with a good equalization can already give a good job. On this forum I ve seen people commenting on dacs again and again and never understood why the put it as the most important part. The first thing should be to ensure the headaches can get enough power to shine! I doubt many people could make the difference testing to powerful amp/DAC sharing same powerful amp but one with medium quality DAC vs the other one with high quality one.....

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #7,177 of 7,916
Don't worry guys, things will get better once audio branded companies start making their own Smartphone DAPs. Onkyo started the trend this year and Devialet to follow. 
We will soon forget about the usual audiophile smartphones like HTC 10, LG V series or Vivo Xplay. 

In a 100 pages from now, we might be arguing over "how this branded resistor gonna change SQ of this audio-phone over the other audio-phone". 

Embrace yourselves. 

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #7,179 of 7,916
Hello, I would like to request opinion. Because there're no more HTC/Lg in my country, vivo xplay is not available and ZTE is not my type. (Thailand)

Then which phone would you recommend

Rarely find good audiophile phone in Thailand local market anymore. Closet one would be axon7 I think.

Please consider buying from good shop in MBK which import phones from all around the world. Trust me never will phone break in the period of 1 year warranty.

Mar 26, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #7,181 of 7,916
My previous phone is LG V10,which last 11 months before bootloop issue. And because there is no service in my country, so now it is paper weight.

That why, I'm quite concern abt service now. And Axon 7 is really not my type.

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #7,182 of 7,916
Do you guys know if any of the DAPs around can be connected to the internet through a GSM connection, without actually having a phone function?
I mean a DAP that can stream music from say Spotify or Tidal also without a wifi connection.

Mar 26, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #7,183 of 7,916
Do you guys know if any of the DAPs around can be connected to the internet through a GSM connection, without actually having a phone function?
I mean a DAP that can stream music from say Spotify or Tidal also without a wifi connection.

Onkyo cmx1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back