Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #7,021 of 7,916
anyone tested the Meizu Pro 5? im choosing between this one and letv le max x900, but im leaning more to the pro 5 since it looks more durable and smaller.
ill be mainly be listening to edm, and does it have equalizer?

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #7,022 of 7,916
  anyone tested the Meizu Pro 5? im choosing between this one and letv le max x900, but im leaning more to the pro 5 since it looks more durable and smaller.

If you are listening to mainly EDM, you will find meizu pro5 too calm for catching up with many drops of notes at once. For me, meizu is good at vocal, strings, pop rock. 

I recommend x900 and LG V20 to be better suitable.

Mar 14, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #7,023 of 7,916

I have Meizu MX4 Pro, older brother of the 5 but I believe it has almost same sound engine.
Love the SQ, phone needs little bit of tampering with software etc so you can use different player than stock through Sabre DAC, I'm uing PowerAmp beta which drives Sabre perfectly.

Plenty of power and good sound quality.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #7,025 of 7,916
Let us hope audiophile mainstream recognize the need for a smart DAP somewhere in the years to come. Devialet mentioned between the lines that they are preparing for a smartphone release. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #7,026 of 7,916
Hello everyone, I have a limited budget of $150 (preferably $100). Is there any phone that I can get that has a decent SQ? I will be only using it with my IEMs, so I guess I don't need a powerful amp. I also don't need fancy configurations or the latest processors. Even an old model year phone or a refurbished one will suffice. A decent camera might be the only other thing that I need.

I mostly listen to chillout trance, trap music, etc. I prefer punchy, but not overwhelming, bass and also like a sound signature that is less bright. My IEMs include KZ ZS3, ZST, MEMT X5 and I also have HD598.

I am trying to decide whether to get a cheap DAP around $100 or a phone. A phone would be better since my current phone has some issues, but I don't know if I can afford one with my limited budget.

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #7,027 of 7,916
It sickens me to say this, but I'm really liking the iPhone 7 Plus, it just does what I need it to do, no messing around with the DAC lottery of Android devices

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #7,028 of 7,916
It sickens me to say this, but I'm really liking the iPhone 7 Plus, it just does what I need it to do, no messing around with the DAC lottery of Android devices

You mean you like it's dongle!!?

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #7,029 of 7,916
You mean you like it's dongle!!?
well, no, but even the battery life doesn't seem to be an issue in comparison to Android devices, and with them I have to plug in the DFR so it's a bit of a status quo.

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #7,030 of 7,916
  Hello everyone, I have a limited budget of $150 (preferably $100). Is there any phone that I can get that has a decent SQ? I will be only using it with my IEMs, so I guess I don't need a powerful amp. I also don't need fancy configurations or the latest processors. Even an old model year phone or a refurbished one will suffice. A decent camera might be the only other thing that I need.

I mostly listen to chillout trance, trap music, etc. I prefer punchy, but not overwhelming, bass and also like a sound signature that is less bright. My IEMs include KZ ZS3, ZST, MEMT X5 and I also have HD598.

I am trying to decide whether to get a cheap DAP around $100 or a phone. A phone would be better since my current phone has some issues, but I don't know if I can afford one with my limited budget.

These are low budget phones under $150 with dedicated audio chips:

Leagoo M5, it has the Awinic K6 DAC, and it only costs $80 dollars | LINK

Kingzone N5, it has a Yamaha YDA165 chip and it costs $99 dollars | LINK

Ulefone Vienna, it has NXP Smart audio PA chip, costs $119 dollars | LINK 

Ramos MOS1 Max, it has ESS Sabre ES9018K2M DAC + Texas Instruments OPA1612 audio chips, costs $134 dollars | LINK

PPTV King 7s, it has ESS Sabre ES9018K2M DAC + Maxim MAX97220 +  NXP Smart PA audio chips, costs $136 dollars | LINK

I would snatch the hell out of PPTV King 7s. It has a 2k screen, helio P10 processor, and with a outstanding  audio set for its price

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #7,032 of 7,916
  These are low budget phones under $150 with dedicated audio chips:

Leagoo M5, it has the Awinic K6 DAC, and it only costs $80 dollars | LINK

Kingzone N5, it has a Yamaha YDA165 chip and it costs $99 dollars | LINK

Ulefone Vienna, it has NXP Smart audio PA chip, costs $119 dollars | LINK 

Ramos MOS1 Max, it has ESS Sabre ES9018K2M DAC + Texas Instruments OPA1612 audio chips, costs $134 dollars | LINK

PPTV King 7s, it has ESS Sabre ES9018K2M DAC + Maxim MAX97220 +  NXP Smart PA audio chips, costs $136 dollars | LINK

I would snatch the hell out of PPTV King 7s. It has a 2k screen, helio P10 processor, and with a outstanding  audio set for its price

Thank you! That was very helpful!

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #7,033 of 7,916
well, no, but even the battery life doesn't seem to be an issue in comparison to Android devices, and with them I have to plug in the DFR so it's a bit of a status quo.

What I meant is that the iPhone 7 is not a device that's even capable of outputing audio on its own

It relies on it's dongle or another USB DAC. Therefore I don't think it's legitimate to say the current iPhone is a good or bad sounding device. It all depends on what's plug into it

Same goes for other phones that can sound spectacular with a particular dac amp. They however have at least the option of playing music natively through their headphone socket and can sound pretty good.

The iPhone 7 is purely a digital transport or am I missing something?!?!

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #7,034 of 7,916
how good is iPhone 6s compared to Le Max, Axon 7 and Xplay5/6 in terms of sound quality  ?
Can anyone list at least the top 5 phones for pure sound quality just for us to know what to buy. 

For me, My humble list goes (for what I owned):
- LG V10
- HTC 10
- iPhone 6s
- LG V20
- Huawei Mate 9

I would like to know where Le Max, Axon 7 and Xplay fit in there. 

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #7,035 of 7,916
how good is iPhone 6s compared to Le Max, Axon 7 and Xplay5/6 in terms of sound quality  ?
Can anyone list at least the top 5 phones for pure sound quality just for us to know what to buy. 

For me, My humble list goes (for what I owned):
- LG V10
- HTC 10
- iPhone 6s
- LG V20
- Huawei Mate 9

I would like to know where Le Max, Axon 7 and Xplay fit in there. 

I will put my individual top 5 after I receive xplay6 on Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back