Best Smartphone for audiophile
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 22, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #6,856 of 7,916
Serious, the HTC10 should tick all your boxes. There are 2 treads about it, just use the search engine.

Edit. You write headphones. Which ones do you have in mind ?. HTC10 can't drive most headphones properly. Iems is different.

Really depends on the headphones. There are plenty of great headphones that also have lower impedance.
If you really wanted to go high impedance, there are plenty of small pocket amps that can be had cheaply to boost the power.

Feb 22, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #6,857 of 7,916
Warm and dark is boring and unnatural to me :yum:

Good one, but you're right, question of taste really.

I'm surprised people would find lg v10 to be unnatural and boring. Even with a Saber DAC, it has splendid bass and it's not very bright.

The Meizu pro5, with the same DAC is definitely less warm, with a tighter bass and slightly more forward mids and brighter treble than V10.
Meaning our friend Vincik probably won't like it...

The only phone I've ever actually found to be very warm was my Huawei Mate 7, although the output was too weak for anything else than IEMs.

Generally speaking, look for DAPs or phones with a AKM DACs is you really want more warmth, they sound less analytical than most Sabre-based solutions.

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #6,858 of 7,916

Would it be an idea to change the first post of this topic into a list of phones that have a decent DAC inside sorted by brand? For me it's really hard to follow all developments. I know many, but the differences in dacs between versions of phones is something that i can't keep up with.

I will be missing tons of phones, but if we can create a decent way to show hifi-phones together, it is easier for Headfi'ers, but mainly for people new to this product segment.

im already compiling a big list of audiophile smartphones, been doing that since a couple of months ago.

see post #6821 for the image with the list

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:36 AM Post #6,859 of 7,916
Hey Anyone know about Onkyo Granbeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7jTMVy_Y6k

Sound quality beyond the frame of the smartphone. 
I arrived at the installation of an exclusive audio board.

Equipped with audio equivalent board equivalent to digital audio player, installed separately from the board for smartphone. It sticks thoroughly to the guard of noise mixing occurring inside the cabinet, realizing a rich and pure sound. It is a luxurious and beautiful blend of digital audio player and smartphone.
On the exclusive audio board, ESC's DAC "ES9018C2M" and AMP "SABER 9601K" are stored. 
By separating from the board for smartphone, signal path is short-circuited, realizing super high resolution playback.

In order to prevent noise from entering, isolate "three zone" circuit design

Minimal / shortest audio circuit design reduces noise influence and further suppresses signal degradation to the limit.

• "Power supply circuit output zone": DCDC conversion
    Clean power supply received from Android board with power supply circuit
  • "Digital conversion zone": DAC + headphone - AMP
    Convert digital signal to analog
  • "Headphone output zone"
    Clean signal to headphone output

High resolution sound source, with high sound quality up to your ear. 
3.5 mm 4 pole (compatible with micro remote control) In addition to the headphone output terminal, 2.5 mm 4 pole output terminal is also mounted.

2.5 mm Supported balanced output with 4 pole terminals. High sound quality of the high resolution sound source is delivered with high sound quality to the ear. 
Also, two balanced drives are prepared. Choose from ONKYO's unique "ACG drive" with stable sound, or powerful "BTL drive", according to your preferences and songs.

•  
  •  

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #6,860 of 7,916

Good one, but you're right, question of taste really.

I'm surprised people would find lg v10 to be unnatural and boring. Even with a Saber DAC, it has splendid bass and it's not very bright.

The Meizu pro5, with the same DAC is definitely less warm, with a tighter bass and slightly more forward mids and brighter treble than V10.
Meaning our friend Vincik probably won't like it...

The only phone I've ever actually found to be very warm was my Huawei Mate 7, although the output was too weak for anything else than IEMs.

Generally speaking, look for DAPs or phones with a AKM DACs is you really want more warmth, they sound less analytical than most Sabre-based solutions.

Well. In stead of judging the sound signature from its DAC used, I normally judge by the brand/company. 

For example, Astell&Kern is focusing in vocal and black background regardless of which DAC they use while ibasso will be into treble, resolution and micro detail. 
(yes, I know different model will have diff sound sig. but they are stay on same bottom line)

It is not 100% true for all brands but I believe it is better guess than judging by DAC company.

Just my 2c.

Feb 23, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #6,861 of 7,916
im already compiling a big list of audiophile smartphones, been doing that since a couple of months ago.

see post #6821 for the image with the list

Good job! :)

So now to my next point. How to make it visible for more people? Can't we get a link to it on the topicstart?

Edit:

Maybe it would be more effective to do this in an open document like google sheets or html? Can't read the pic, even if i download

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #6,865 of 7,916
i have tried hauwei p9 lite and it sounds crap as all other smartphones i have tried (xiaomi redmi, iphone, most expensive samsung). Im planning to try HTC 10 as soon as i will have fiio x5 3rd to compare it with, but expectations are pretty low. im not exactly thrilled by the sound of my x5 2nd gen, but it is still way better, than all those smartphones... way better

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #6,868 of 7,916
Reply to GARYSOHN,  

Don't think anyone here would know for sure...  (Unless they were part of development team, or had an LG-G6 Prototype to try.   )

It's expected to be similar to the V20 .. Only based on having same Quad Dac...

But what amps, it uses and how it's actually ends up being built, etc  who knows...Could be completely different.

Feb 23, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #6,869 of 7,916
  Hey Anyone know about Onkyo Granbeat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7jTMVy_Y6k

Sound quality beyond the frame of the smartphone. 
I arrived at the installation of an exclusive audio board.

Equipped with audio equivalent board equivalent to digital audio player, installed separately from the board for smartphone. It sticks thoroughly to the guard of noise mixing occurring inside the cabinet, realizing a rich and pure sound. It is a luxurious and beautiful blend of digital audio player and smartphone.
On the exclusive audio board, ESC's DAC "ES9018C2M" and AMP "SABER 9601K" are stored. 
By separating from the board for smartphone, signal path is short-circuited, realizing super high resolution playback.

In order to prevent noise from entering, isolate "three zone" circuit design

Minimal / shortest audio circuit design reduces noise influence and further suppresses signal degradation to the limit.

• "Power supply circuit output zone": DCDC conversion
    Clean power supply received from Android board with power supply circuit
  • "Digital conversion zone": DAC + headphone - AMP
    Convert digital signal to analog
  • "Headphone output zone"
    Clean signal to headphone output

High resolution sound source, with high sound quality up to your ear. 
3.5 mm 4 pole (compatible with micro remote control) In addition to the headphone output terminal, 2.5 mm 4 pole output terminal is also mounted.

2.5 mm Supported balanced output with 4 pole terminals. High sound quality of the high resolution sound source is delivered with high sound quality to the ear. 
Also, two balanced drives are prepared. Choose from ONKYO's unique "ACG drive" with stable sound, or powerful "BTL drive", according to your preferences and songs.

•  
  •  

Interesting design

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #6,870 of 7,916

Interesting design

But it's not an HTC
blink.gif
!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back